main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games SWC Senate: Restoring Peace, Prosperity and Equality to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Rioting is never good, but we need to handle this properly Senator. If we arrest every single one of them for protesting we are no better then the Empire.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I doubt that data is correct.

As to the strikers, I suggest we draft workers from other avenues and send them in to do the work, and soldiers to protect them while they do. I am content to negotiate, but I am not happy to be held to ransom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BookExogorth likes this.
  3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

I assure you, my data is always correct. It has been reported by multiple sources now. It's already been reported by the holonet news channels.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll see what the Chancellor says.

Senators has fallen for falsified third party news coverage many times before.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

Sadly Senator you seem to have been taken in by false reports. In these trying days we must all be aware of the propensity of the media to attempt to drive their own stories. Fake news, as we all know, is enemy of the people.

OOC: Let's remember folks, the Chancellor runs the scenario as a sort of elected GM and presents new facts into it as the game moves along. If you have an idea that you'd like introduced PM me (as the current Chancellor) and I'll see what I can do about adding it into the game.

Back IC now: Senators I'd wholeheartedly agree that law and order must prevail here, though there is always room for negotiation. If a Senator could present a draft legistlation along the lines we have discussed (either bringing in workers from other industries or prison labor to replace the striking workers) it would have my support.

Sinrebirth and Darth_Furio like this.
  6. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Apologies for my absence, Senators. I am working to catch up on the notes.

*begins reading*

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Strike Bill

Firsted by Sinrebirth

Seconded by

Whereas the strike is in action, whereas no compromise has been given, and as necessary to resume critical services as it is, it is hereby stated that:

1. Workers can be drafted from other state owned industries at pay and a half for the job at hand.

2. Volunteers from private industries can be accepted in similar terms, on the basis that it is for no more than one year and the employees have their prior job guaranteed by the government.

3. Private businesses which allow their workers to fill in will receive a tax rebate equivalent to their net loss at year end. Responsible businessmanship is expected and a company which goes into liquidation due to releasing workers will not be compensated.

5. Any company which refuses to allow their employees back after the end of the crisis or their year contract - whichever is sooner - will be subject to sanctions by the government, and their tax rebate cancelled.

6. Any prisoner serving a sentence which is a strict liability offence (e.g. Parking fines), not life sentences or violent crime offences, may apply to reduce their sentence and act as workers in said strike locations. Such sentence will be reduced by the equivalent of their assistance, subject to good behaviour. Similarly their wardens will determine if they may be allowed to be released.

7. The factories and mines that are subject to the strike are to be seized by government forces, with actions paid for by the profits of the factories and mines, for the duration of the strikes. If negotiations are not resolved within one year of this act, the mines and factories and so forth and miscellaneous material will be seized by the government with no compensation offered.

8. Any effort to sabotage or resist temporary or, in the case of a failure as per 7 above, nationalisation will result in the levying of treason charges against said individuals and the death penalty the maximum sentence. Financial sanctions will be the preferred avenue.

9. Any community service may be spent at said facilities affected by the strike.

10. This legislation can be rolled over by the Chancellors office without reference to the Senate. It can also be applied to other strike actions as they arise, without reference to the Senate.

11. This act can last no longer than 5 years, and all profits from said act are to be reserved solely for the budget of maintaining this act. Any surplus at the end of the accounting period (of no less than twice per financial year) is to be diverted to the armed forces.

12. Any individual member of the strike membership that wishes to return to work can not avail themselves of any of the benefits of the above workers. They will benefit from whatever compromise is given to enable the workforce to return to work at the end of the strike. If they return immediately (and by immediately, the law means within one month of this act being entered into law), then all criminal charges relating to damage or obstruction will be waived, should any have arisen. Any violent offences will not, under any circumstances, be waived unless by specific pardon by the Chancellor.

13. The definition of the Chancellor also includes any nominated party of the Office, as long as they hold an elected office, and have no conflict of interest in the companies or resources at stake.

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    OOC: That took me 14 minutes. I law good.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  9. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    OoC: What format for bills are we following here?
    Edit: I suppose the one Sinrebirth used.

10. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Senator Sinrebirth

While I admire your bill, I question the diversion of excess funds to the armed Forces. Why not divert the money to other matters?

DarthIshyZ and Sinrebirth like this.
  11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I see the corruption has taken a firm grip of the senate. Dark times these are.

BookExogorth likes this.
  12. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    Could you please say what the corruption is?

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Largely because we need to pay the soldiers' wages, in my eyes.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  14. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Thank you, Senator. A worthy goal, for sure.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Strike Bill

Firsted by Sinrebirth

Seconded by Darth_Furio

Whereas the strike is in action, whereas no compromise has been given, and as necessary to resume critical services as it is, it is hereby stated that:

1. Workers can be drafted from other state owned industries at pay and a half for the job at hand.

2. Volunteers from private industries can be accepted in similar terms, on the basis that it is for no more than one year and the employees have their prior job guaranteed by the government.

3. Private businesses which allow their workers to fill in will receive a tax rebate equivalent to their net loss at year end. Responsible businessmanship is expected and a company which goes into liquidation due to releasing workers will not be compensated.

5. Any company which refuses to allow their employees back after the end of the crisis or their year contract - whichever is sooner - will be subject to sanctions by the government, and their tax rebate cancelled.

6. Any prisoner serving a sentence which is a strict liability offence (e.g. Parking fines), not life sentences or violent crime offences, may apply to reduce their sentence and act as workers in said strike locations. Such sentence will be reduced by the equivalent of their assistance, subject to good behaviour. Similarly their wardens will determine if they may be allowed to be released.

7. The factories and mines that are subject to the strike are to be seized by government forces, with actions paid for by the profits of the factories and mines, for the duration of the strikes. If negotiations are not resolved within one year of this act, the mines and factories and so forth and miscellaneous material will be seized by the government with no compensation offered.

8. Any effort to sabotage or resist temporary or, in the case of a failure as per 7 above, nationalisation will result in the levying of treason charges against said individuals and the death penalty the maximum sentence. Financial sanctions will be the preferred avenue.

9. Any community service may be spent at said facilities affected by the strike.

10. This legislation can be rolled over by the Chancellors office without reference to the Senate. It can also be applied to other strike actions as they arise, without reference to the Senate.

11. This act can last no longer than 5 years, and all profits from said act are to be reserved solely for the budget of maintaining this act. Any surplus at the end of the accounting period (of no less than twice per financial year) is to be diverted to the armed forces.

12. Any individual member of the strike membership that wishes to return to work can not avail themselves of any of the benefits of the above workers. They will benefit from whatever compromise is given to enable the workforce to return to work at the end of the strike. If they return immediately (and by immediately, the law means within one month of this act being entered into law), then all criminal charges relating to damage or obstruction will be waived, should any have arisen. Any violent offences will not, under any circumstances, be waived unless by specific pardon by the Chancellor.

13. The definition of the Chancellor also includes any nominated party of the Office, as long as they hold an elected office, and have no conflict of interest in the companies or resources at stake.

16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Before I recognize this bill and put it up to a vote I'm going to allow for a comment and discussion period of the bill's various elements to last approximately 24 hours.

In the meantime, if we could please get a Quorum call realized. I would like to see which Senators are active or not before putting anything to a vote.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm here, obviously, Chance.

*bristles*

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  18. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    If this is a role call, present.
    A few questions - how long would news of this reach strikers? Is it a situation that isolates the strikers? If so, we might need to extend the time in section 12. Also, how long could it take for the companies to hire replacements?

19. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    A month seems sufficient. It'll be announced as law by the HoloNet no doubt.

I expect the entire project to be running within said month.

Bardan_Jusik and BookExogorth like this.
  21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Quarom Call
    Chancellor: Bardan_Jusik of Mandalore​
    Vice Chancellor: Senator TheSilentInfluence of Naboo
    Speaker: DarthIshyZ of Dantooine ​
    Populist
    Senator Darth_Furio of Sullust
    Senator ConservativeJedi321 of Skustell
    Senator DarthIshyZ of Dantooine
    Senator SkooterDawg of Falleen
    Senator @Xogorth of Thyferra

Centrist
    Senator Master Vo'Un'Var Of Concord Dawn
    Senator Sinrebirth for Eriadu
    Senator TheSilentInfluence of Naboo
    Senator Nehru_Amidala of A-192
    Senator Graul of Nubia
    Senator Shadowsun of Tau'un

22. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Independant​
    Senator Bazinga'd of Tatooine.​
    Senator Bardan_Jusik of Mandalore​
    Senator Jedi Knight Fett of Taris​
    Senator Lady Belligerent of Sartinaynian system​
    Senator heels1785 of Kashyyyk​
    Senator Wanderguard of Kuat​
    Senator Anakin.Skywalker (Jodha Nubboda) of Nal Hutta​
    Senator MrMojoRisin of Malastare​
    Senator Falcon of Corellia​
    Senator Heffley of Coruscant​

Inactive Roster​
    Senator Snokers of Duro​
    Senator Knight of Wren of Gorse​
    Senator Ren of Mygeeto​
    Senator Vagabond of Carratos​

OOC: I don't know everyone's username on here since nicknames were used. So any help would be appreciated. Also sorry for the double post.​

23. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Yes, I'm here.:)

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Present and accounted for.

25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.