main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games SWC Senate: Restoring Peace, Prosperity and Equality to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Must I cite the Yavin Code?o_O

We are not barbarians, nor crooks. Fairness, or perhaps more accurately propriety in war is essential to any civilized society.

2. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    You may, if it so pleases you.

The whole point of war is to best the other side. If it were fair, we'd give them our weapons and make sure each side is properly equipped!

OOC: The what?

3. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    OOC: The Yavin Code introduced in TCW, not much is known about it but my understanding it is the Star Wars equivalent to the Geneva Convention. ;)

IC: Besting the other side does not equate to winning at any cost. The true measure of a civilized state is one that know how far is to far. How much is too much. If we are to resort to needless cruelty then how are we any better than those we seek to defeat, or the Empire of old for that matter?

Darth_Furio and DarthIshyZ like this.
  4. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    OOC: Thanks!

IC: Needless cruelty? They're not suspected terrorists, they've captured our own. They have brought that upon themselves.

5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Hmmm... The subject of slavery keeps coming up. There was mention of addressing that. Perhaps Senator Jubodda (Anakin.Skywalker) would care to start the ball rolling with a bill so we can start the discussion?

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  6. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    OOC: What do I do? [face_hypnotized]

A bill about slavery when we still have hostages?!

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  7. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Senator Jubboda, I am of the mind that if there are alternatives to fighting they ought to be taken. Otherwise I would support sending troops in, but under no circumstances would I stand for such unethical conduct. I don't know how things are handled in hutt space, but around here sentient bombs are a no-no. And my fellow senators have already agreed on the matter it seems, so there is no use in debating it.

I concur with the Senator from Dantooine, the issue of Slavery must be dealt with as well. That such a travesty continues is unacceptable.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  8. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    *sighs*

Very well, at least it is not a loss of Hutt lives...

Tell me something, Senator DarthIshyZ. What planets/systems are you planning to target with a slavery bill?

9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Maybe we should deal with both of these issues at once as one seems to feed the other.

10. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Indeed. I was thinking we set up a pair of committee's to deal with each issue simultaneously. It is vital that we solve the hostage situation, and outlaw slavery in all of Republic controlled territory as soon as possible.

11. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    I thought it was illegal in all Republic territory (as well at Hutt territory). Are you saying there is still slavery in the Republic?

12. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    There are those in Republic territory who take advantage of immigrant communities and set up illegal factories and sweatshops. Even though we have the resources to stop these people, there are those who slip through the cracks and those who risk arrest because of the money factor.

13. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Just because it's said to be outlawed doesn't mean it isn't in use anymore. And the method is wrong. We do not need to follow that example to get results.

14. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    I told you...there are thousands of discarded implants in guarded warehouses. They are obsolete.

I don't really see how destroying your enemies is wrong...but as Senator ConservativeJedi321 has said, that issue is over.

15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Speaking of slavery, there is a bill I want to introduce that Senator Bazinga'd helped me greatly with. I move that we adopt the S.Resolution 10 - Slavery Elimination and Repatriation Act.

Findings: The Senate, after conducting years of socio-economic and humanitarian study has determined that slavery is immoral and violates the fundamental human rights of the galaxy. Additionally, the Senate finds that the elimination of slavery will eliminate slave trade and illegal activities associated with it.

Resolved That all slavery within the jurisdiction of the Senate shall be eliminated within 5 Years. After 5 years, it shall be a criminal offense to own, traffic in, or indenture any species.

(1) Slavery or any other methods of indenture within the jurisdiction of the Senate shall be phased out and eventually outlawed within 5 years.

(2) Violations of this act shall be punished by 25 years of imprisonment and a fine of 2,000,000 credits.

(3) Freed slaves or indenture will be remunerated for their past services by the former owners. Failure to remunerate past slaves will be enforced by a civil fine not to exceed the present value of twice the total payments owed to all former slaves or endures possessed or owned by the slaveholder or trafficker.

(4) A job training program will be established to provide vocational training for all those released under this act.

(5) The Senate Chancellor shall set up a committee of Senators to oversee the implementation of this act.

16. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    If there is in fact slavery going on, then I don't believe the Senate should interfere. This is an issue for local law enforcement to enforce any laws in place.

17. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016

I very much like this act, Senator, but I have a question.

There are many relatively poor slave owners...what will be their punishment if they cannot pay fines or remunerate the former slaves?

Senator Lady Belligerent . Might we talk in private?

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Anakin.Skywalker

If they were that bad off Senator, how could they effort to buy slaves in the first place?

19. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016

A poor man could have enslaved a child or several children for many, many years and have accumulated a large amount to remunerate to these slaves. And not only that. Please keep in mind, Senator, that there wouldn't be slavery if it were cheaper to hire labor. Slaves are always cheaper.

20. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
  21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    If they have slaves and can't pay them, the slaves should be freed.

22. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Exactly.

But how could they afford it in the first place if they do not have enough money to pay the fines. I understand that in sone cases, slaves are given as gifts. But ninety percent of the time they are bought at the slave market.

23. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    You might want to check that fact. Many slaves are won off the books in gambling bets.

The fines you speak of are enormous! Easily out of the range of many people with just a few slaves.

24. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    :rolleyes:

The Sentate should focus more on funding weapon r & d. How long has it been since funding has been made for new weaponry and combat tactics.

25. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    A very good point, Senator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.