main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games SWC Senate: Restoring Peace, Prosperity and Equality to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    DarthIshyZ

There was nothing conclusive Senator. The Hut... I mean the perpatrators covered their tracks of slime very well unfortunately.

Someone get Senator Lady Belligerent a lolipop please. Smile already.

2. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I'll smile when we stop focusing on trivial matters that individual governments should sort out.

KnightOfRen and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Do you have some topics to discuss, Senator Lady Belligerent?

Sent via Tapatalk this was.

4. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014

Being apart of a Senate means that we need to work together to help solve each others concerns. Otherwise we wouldn't be a very democratic or good government Senator.

Chancellor Darth_Furio

Has anything interesting of note come up in regards to the investigation, or any tips that have come in? Anything suspicious?

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I cannot sit here and simply accept an inconclusive report. Surely there is some shred of evidence we can glean from all of this. Even the most hardened criminals tend to become sloppy in the heat of the moment.

*leans forward, resting elbows on thighs*

Or the more likely scenario, they are far too proud to sit idly by without letting the public know who is responsible. It's all about the ego. We just need to know where to look to find the clues. *raises brow* Perhaps we should try again? This is a matter of safety, after all...despite what some may think.

Anakin.Skywalker and DarthIshyZ like this.
  6. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    My Lady,

Nope. . They were followed by Spec-Op agents to a private docking bay. Upon further investigating the docking bay was registered to...Senator Sinrebirth himself. Can you explain this sir?

Anakin.Skywalker and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Darth_Furio

OOC: Real life politics will not be brought into the thread like that. So leave things like that in our Politics thread in JC.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  8. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    OOC: contemplates the meaning of the phrase "ignorance is bliss."

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mr. Chancellor,

What is our current legislative agenda? Also, I believe elections are or will be currently due soon.

10. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008

Senator Lady Belligerent has mentioned on several occasions about systems handling certain government issues on their own. Before I leave office, I believe that we should have a serious discussion about this very topic. Does the Galactic Senate have too much power to dictate to the New Republic's various systems about certain issues? I believe weeding through this topic will help streamline future debate on what is appropriate for us to mandate on the New Republic's systems. Perhaps we merely guide instead of legislate certain things. As for Senator TheSilentInfluence 's slavery bill, I felt that it was important for the New Republic as a whole. Perhaps crafting a constitution or a Senate Governance Bill is the way to go.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The Senate has jurisdiction to dictate to the various systems issues that involve issued that directly or indirectly impact the entire galaxy, trade/commerce, security issues, human rights, etc. Other issues we do not, i.e., dictating form of government, local criminal matters, etc. The slavery bill fell squarely within our jurisdiction, because slavery has a substantial impact on trade/commerce as well as human rights.

Historically, we determine whether we have jurisdiction over a particular issue on a case by case (or issue by issue) basis.

12. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Anyone else have an opinion?

13. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Not at the moment no.

14. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I support the rights of individual worlds, and believe the powers of this body ought to be few.
    On that matter I and Senator Belligerent agree.

But applying that principle to slavery simply goes to far.

15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    On which side of the fence do you fall with regard to the Slavery Bill?

16. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I believe in certain fundamental human rights senator. The Right to Life, the Right to Liberty, and the Right for individuals to pursue happiness. I am a Populist, and I support the rights of the systems in many aspects of policy.
    But no planet, system, or party has the right to violate those fundamental rights.

And I have already made my stance clear, that as Slavery violates all three of those rights, I have a moral obligation to stand firmly against it regardless of my belief in the rights of systems above this central authority.

Preserving sentience freedom is a core duty of this body, and I voted in favor of the Anti slavery bill accordingly.

SkooterDawg and Bazinga'd like this.
  17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Right, but I was curious as to your side as to the issue of Senate jurisdiction over the matter rather than the substance of the bill.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  18. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    OOC: Just been reading EE. Interesting to note that they consider droids to be sentient. At least semi. I may be reading wrong, but I don't think so. Hmmm...

Darth_Furio likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    EE?

20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Star Wars: Aftermath: Empires End

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Mr. Chancellor-

Are we out of session. It seems there has been a bit of inactivity around here the last couple of days. Whats on the legislative agenda.

DarthIshyZ and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Elections I should think, it is about that time isn't it?

23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Yes I believe so. Chancellor Darth_Furio when will they begin?

24. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008

According to the rules, I believe elections are to occur on the first of the month with the two days before for the process. So, I have a few days before I run for re-election.

With that in mind, I do have a situation that I must speak to. While at my summer home on Dantooine, there wan an attempt on my life. *Stares at the Hutt.* Anakin.Skywalker Thankfully, my Cor-Sec Spec-Ops team thwarted the plan. However, the perpatrators escaped and so as this is the seceond attempt on members of the Senate, I believe we should discuss laying the foundation of a permanent security force dedicated to members of the senate. You all have your personal staffs, I understand that, but I believe in these uncertain times and with the new threats we face, we should expand the military budget to inculde a Senate Security Force. Senator Sinrebirth was maimed and now I, the Chancellor, have been attacked. I ask that one of you esteemed Senators discuss this and craft a bill that we create the SSF!

*Winks at female Twi'lek companion"

DarthIshyZ and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Mr. Chancellor,

Are you trying to seize power. According to teh SWC Constitution, a sitting Chancellor may not be relected in a consecutively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.