main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Sweden's FF thread!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    While organizing the negotiations for CIII rooms, I've had the pleasure to talk to FF Sweden's CR (Enji, AKA Nina). Through our PM's we discussed having a thread on each other's boards. It would be like having a sister city. Though officially they had Indy as their sister city, Indy hasn't responded too much. Maybe we can. I think it's a cool idea and a way to learn about another country and their culture from the people themselves.

This thread is for the members of both Pittsburgh and Sweden to converse in and there will be a similar thread set-up on the Swedish boards for us (Pittsburgh FF) to post there as well.

Let's have some fun with this. Afterall, we are going to be meeting some of them next year at CIII. It would be nice to get to know them and vice-versa.

So please "välkommen" (welcome) our Swedish FF sisters and brothers.

-Sal

2. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Hi Pittsburgh! Nice little forum you have... I might check it out more later, if you don't mind. :)

*looks around*

Well, I guess I'll see some of you at C3... and everyone is of course very welcome over to our forum as well. :)

3. Cobblestone

Cobblestone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Hello :)

*brings a plate of blueberrymuffins with yellow frosting(like the swedish flag you know)*

4. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Here's the flag

[image=http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/Swedish_flag_small.jpg]

or if you can't view it go here:

http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/Swedish_flag_small.jpg

Ummmm, blueberry muffins......(slobbers on self like Homer Simpson) ha ha

I guess that explains why you have a muffin in your banner. I was going to ask that.

Thanks Cobblestone!
    -Sal

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Soon your journey to the muffin side will be complete. [face_devil]

<---- responsible for bringing the muffin to FF Sweden a long, long time ago.

6. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Since Sweden has brought muffins over here, I think it's only proper that P'burgh brings pie over there. Am I right or am I right? ;)

Oh, and hi to all the Swedish FFers! :D

7. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    That or a big Primanti's sandwich!

Primanti's is a restaurant here in Pittsburgh (we sometimes refer to Pittsburgh as "the 'Burgh" or Da' Burgh)

Primanti's is known for making a BIG greasey sandwich with coleslaw and french fires on it. Yeah it sounds gross to some, but it's a great sandwich.

The history of that sandwich stems from the fact that the original Primanti's is located in an area of our city known as the "Strip District" no not lady strippers, but a strip of land that is devoted to wholesale distribution of just about anything you can imagine. When Primanti's saw the amount of truck driver they were getting into their restaurant, (who delivered good to the strip district) they had to devise a way to make the sandwiches faster and yet give the truck drivers the whole meal of the sandwhich, coleslaw and french fries. So, they just piled everything together on one sandwich. It's a big tradition here to have one of their sandwiches. I know I try to take a friend who's not from here, to there everytime I get the chance.

-Sal

8. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Mmmmmmmmm....

[image=http://www.eatsanddrinks.com/commentary/worst_0320.jpg]

...taaaaaaasty!

Could go for one of those right about now,
    Yours Truly

9. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Wow, now that doesn't look like any sandwich I'm used to... franch fries on a SANDWICH??? Very weird, but then, you are american, and therefore a bit weird. ;) :p

Not like us Swedes, we're normal. So normal that tomorrow a large part of the population will dance around a big pole decorated with boughs, pretending to be frogs.

10. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ah, you must be talking about "Midsommarfest"! or "Midsommarafton"!

This is where they dance around a maypole or "midsommarstång or" (if I got that correct) and sing the 'Dance of the Little Green Frogs'.

Enji will you be picking 7 different flowers from 7 different areas, or are you not looking for a fellow. Ha ha.
    (Swedish tradition is that if a lady does this, oh and makes it into a crown of sorts called a "midsommarkrans", then puts it under her pillow on Mid summer's eve, she will dream of the man she will marry.) Right Enji?

So is sill and prinskorv on the menu for the feast afterwards? (marinated herring and small sausages)

By the way Midsommarfest (Mid summer fest) is in direct opposite of Midvinterblot which if I remember correctly dates back to the Viking times and involved some gruesome stuff (which I won't repeat)

(Thank goodness for all of those travel shows I've watched over the years)

Anyway, if I got any of this wrong Enji, Cobblestone or any of the other Swedish folk out there, please don't hesitate to correct me.

-Sal

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Plants a big midsommer pole in here:

[image=http://www.dalarna.se/upload/turism/midsommar.jpg]

Well I'm off to find my folkcostume (it's actually the female version of the one that the guy in white is wearing on the photo).

And then it's a lot of herring and fresh potatoes, and sour cream.

And don't forget the music. mp3-file

12. Berg

Berg Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2002
    Hello!

If "Midsommarafton" has somthing to do with vikings i dont know, but we got our expert on that matter, namely Obi Anne. What i do know is that the Midsommarafton is a fest to celebrate the longest day of the year and right up in the North of Sweden the sun never return under the horizon, its just bounce on the horizon.
    Im impress with Sal´s knowledge in the subject but he forgot one thing, a great thing. :D

"NUBBE" or snaps if u like. No "Midsommarafton" with out it.
    There is a whole bunch of different kinds of snaps but these is what i would like to have on my menu.

"OP Anderson" but we just call it O,P
    "Skåne"
    "Aquavit"
    And of course the boring one "Absolute vodka"

13. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Wow Sal, that's impressive... :eek:

Although at least where I live, you don't have to make a crown out of the flowers you pick during the midsummer night and then put under your pillow (but you're not supposed to say a word while you pick them! You have to be absolutely quiet!), the crown is instead worn during the day and the flowers in that one aren't magical at all. ;)

And Berg is right, you can't forget the schnaps... except that I most likely will this year. *sigh* Don't have any money, and well, I don't celebrate midsummer much anyway. But I would like a Skåne...

I'm gonna pick seven different flowers though. Want to dream of my future husband... ;)

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I stopped doing that when I was 10 and dreamt about a guy that I really didn't like.

Well now it's time for Midsummer lunch, and dad has started to play all our old folk music albums. It's raining though. :(

15. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ha, how could I forget the schnapps (that's how we refer to it here). I love drinking schnapps. We have all sorts of flavorful ones here.

So Berg, you don't like Absolut? I do. I guess it's probably a watered down version for you folks though.

Absolut Limon is my favorite of the Absolut line of beverages.

Well, have fun folks. I wish I could party with you.

Maybe when we meet you at CIII we could have a "pre" Midsommarafton. (Kind of like a prequel to the real thing) heh heh.

-Sal

16. Bwahl-the-Hutt

Bwahl-the-Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    Hello Sweden! I have a little connection to Sweden - my adopted father was Swedish, and my grandparents on his side came from Sweden to immigrate to the USA. So every Christmas had a smorgasbord with traditional food. My grandfather made the best sill, pickled herring, and glog (spelling?), a potent alcoholic drink. Then there was the lutefisk! They said the vikings left Sweden to escape the smell of the lutefisk. They have all passed away now, but I keep a painted swedish wooden horse on my mantel to remind me of their culture. Grandpa used to say dirty things in swedish, which we kids did not understand, then get us to repeat them. His favorite saying was, "yust as I learned to say yam, they changed it to yelly."

Later on in life, I had a letter of mine printed in a Star Wars comic book. My name is Brendon Wahlberg, so imagine my surprise when I got mail from a Bjorn Wahlberg from Sweden. He is no relation, but we remain friends and fellow fans of Star Wars. Together we worked on the "Starkiller" web site for old Star Wars scripts. Bjorn would also try to insult me in Swedish for fun, thinking I could not read it. But I got a Swedish coworker in the lab to translate, and took him by surprise!

So, greetings to our friends across the ocean, and may the Force be with you!

PS any fans of the moomintrolls among you? I have read all the books, and love them.

17. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Americans weird? You bet. Here's a copy of an e-mail I received that shows the unique culture that is "Picksburgh." Note that the sandwich with fries on it is mentioned!

Ah yes! "Picksburgh." Yunz are from Picksburgh if . . .

You didn't have a spring break in high school.

You walk carefully when it is "slippy" outside.

You often go down to the "crick."

You've told your children to "red up" their rooms.

You can remember telling your little brother/sister to stop being so
    "nebby."

You've gotten hurt by falling into a "jaggerbush."

Your mother or grandmother has been seen wearing a "babushka" on
    her head.

You've "warshed" the clothes.

I ask you to hand me one of those "Gum-Bands" you actually know what
    I'm talking about.

You know you can't drive too fast on the back roads, because of the
    deer.

You know Beaver Valley, Turtle Creek, Moon, Mars, Slippery Rock,
    Greentree and New Castle are names of towns. (and you've been to
    most, if not all, of them.)

A girl walks up to three of her girl friends and says, HEY YENZ
    GUYS"

You hear "you guyses," and don't think twice. (Example..."you
    guyses house is nice")

You know the three rivers by name and understand that "The Point"
    isn't just on a writing instrument.

Someone refers to "The Mon" or "The Yough" and you know exactly what
    they're talking about.

You remember the blizzard of 1994 (or 1976, or 1939, or...) and
    remember not being able to go outside because the snow was over your
    head and you would have suffocated.

Someone starts the chant, "Here we go Still-ers!" and you join in.
    In the proper cadence. Waving the appropriately colored towel.

Bob Prince and "There's a bug loose on the rug." hold special
    meaning for you.

You've either eaten a Farkleberry Tart or know someone who has.

You drink pop, eat hoagies, love perogies and one of your favorite
    sandwiches actually has french fries ON it.

You know what a "still mill" is.

You expect temps in the winter to be record breaking cold and temps
    in the summer to be record breaking hot.

You know what Eat 'N Park is and frequently ate breakfast there at
    2:00 AM after the bar closed and made fun of people.

You order "dippy eggs" in a restaurant and get exactly what you
    wanted.

You spent your summers, or a school picnic, at Kennywood, Sand
    Castle, or Idlewild.

You've been to the Braun's Bread Plant or Story Book Forest for a
    school field trip.

"Chipped ham" was always in your refrigerator when you were growin
    up.

You refuse to buy any condiments besides Heinz unless a Pittsburgh
    athlete's picture is on the side of the container.

Franco, Roberto, and Mario don't need last names and you can recite
    their exploits by heart.

Your last name has 8 or more letters in it (and you either have a
    'Z,' 'U' or a 'ski' somewhere in there) and nobody can pronounce it.
    And oft times, even if your name has fewer letters, folks still
    can't pronounce it.

Food at a wedding reception consists of rigatoni, stuffed cabbage,
    sauerkraut and polska kielbasa.

You'll send this on to family and friends who used to live in the
    Pittsburgh Area as well as to those who have never lived there, just so they
    can appreciate how different western PA really is!
    I wonder how many of Yunz guys actually understood all dat? Some
    folks just don't get dem things.

18. Berg

Nov 16, 2002
    Apple, cranberry and raspberry schnapps. I dont Know..

is´t that kind of schnapps too sweet.

Hmm maby i have to bring a real OP to show what a schnapps is ;)

19. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yes, they are rather sweet.

Hmm, might be nice to try the "real" stuff. ha ha.

20. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Or why not a Bäska Droppar? [face_devil] (fyi, this is not a good schnapps to start with... it tastes so strong! I hate it... give me an OP or a Skåne any day.)

BonMothma, no, I didn't understand much from that list, except that you Pittsburghers are a weird lot... :p

Bwahl-the-Hutt, that's pretty cool. I guess a lot of Swedish people have distant relatives in America, because of the great emigration in the 19th century (1/4 of the Swedish population emigrated!) but it's always cool hearing from people in America with Swedish relatives. :) Ooh, that alcoholic beverage is glögg. Mmm. I love it. Sweet strong wine with spices, served hot, preferably with raisins and almonds. [face_love]
    Yes, I love the Moomin trolls... in Swedish they're called Mumintroll, and they live somewhere in Finland. (The writer, Tove Jansson, was Finnish, but spoke Swedish. Finland is a bilingual country.) I usually read the books once a year, at the proper times... so right now, at Midsummer, I'm reading the book "Farlig Midsommar" (it translates directly as "Dangerous Midsummer", although I do not know if that is the English title.) Wonderful book. [face_love] :)

Well, Midsummer is over, and it was pretty fun, even without the schnapps. We did have some vodka though... and then I picked seven flowers and put under my pillow, unfortunately I never remember my dreams when I drink alcohol so I have no idea who my future husband is going to be... :p

21. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Some of my relatives came from your neighbor, Finland, but I can't speak any language other than English (unless you count Elvish, which I speak a little bit!).

My mom can play "Finlandia" on the piano. My grandfather's name was Makynen. Now there's a name nobody can spell!

Namarie,

22. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Well, Finnish is hard... really really hard. I only know a couple of things in Finnish, stuff like "ei sai peittää" (don't know if I've spelled it correctly). It means "do not cover" and it's written on the radiators here. Very useful phrase. :p

Ooh, another person who likes Elvish? I used to try to learn Elvish a couple of years ago, but didn't get very far, and now I've forgotten most of it. But Quenya is a beautiful language... [face_love]

23. Berg

Nov 16, 2002
    Moomin trolls.. (Mumintroll) lives in NÃ¥dendal (Ã…bo)

24. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Oh, right. That was it. :)

Anyway, I know next to nothing about Pittsburgh... I know roughly where it is, and that it's a city in the US, and that you have a hockey team called the Pittsburgh Penguins, and now I know you eat weird sandwiches with french fries... but that's practically it... so, anything special in Pittsburgh? Any weird holidays, any weird customs, any weird people? (I like weird stuff... ;))

I've never been to the US, so everything over there is rather strange to me, but well. I'll probably get a culture shock when I go to Indianapolis for C3... :p

25. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Enji
    Anyway, I know next to nothing about Pittsburgh... I know roughly where it is, and that it's a city in the US, and that you have a hockey team called the Pittsburgh Penguins, and now I know you eat weird sandwiches with french fries... but that's practically it... so, anything special in Pittsburgh? Any weird holidays, any weird customs, any weird people? (I like weird stuff... )

I've never been to the US, so everything over there is rather strange to me, but well. I'll probably get a culture shock when I go to Indianapolis for C3...

Well, we have a great place to view the cityscape of Pittsburgh. It's called "Mount Washington". From there you can go onto any number of lookouts to see the city from above. Besides being know as the "Steel City", we are also known as the city of Bridges. We have one of th highest totals of bridges to area in the U.S.

Some people say we have an accent, though of course we don't recognize it to much amongst ourselves with the occasional "Pittsburghese" word, like Yinz, which mean "you all". If I had to guess, I'd say our accent is somewhere between, New York and Chicago, not as forceful as a New York accent, but not as much twang in a Chicago accent. Somewhere in between, but that's just my observation.

I can't think of any Pittsburgh specific holidays, but we do have a regatta on our rivers every year that draws a large crowd. It's also around this time of year that we have an annual Art show. It's hugs covering many city blocks, with lots of stuff to see and purchase.

Well, I'm off to see Spiderman 2, so I'll let someone else take it from here.

-Sal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.