main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWG Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moonz74, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    This is from the SWG forums ...
    Greetings Star Wars Galaxies Players, Fans, and Other Denizens of the Galaxy:

My name is Julio Torres and I am the Producer on Star Wars Galaxies for LucasArts. We wanted you, the great members of the Galaxies community, to be the first to hear some exciting news about the current and future plans for Star Wars Galaxies!

Over the past year we have been working hard to respond to feedback we have gotten from players, fans, focus groups, and other research. This feedback has ultimately centered on one key area: the game does not feel like a heroic Star Wars experience. Currently, the early game has a steep learning curve and there is no clearly defined path of advancement or adventure. Many of our fans who bought the game did not see enough Star Wars style action early-on and ultimately left our world. It is our goal to change this and improve the experience for all players.

We are introducing a series of game enhancements to Star Wars Galaxies this month that include both significant enhancements to the live game as well as a completely redesigned experience for new players. The primary areas of focus include combat and profession and character development. The combat depicted in the Star Wars films, fiction, and canon that we have all come to know and love is fast-paced, action-packed, and visually intense. In order to stay true to the Star Wars fiction as well as to make the combat system more engaging, we have shifted the turn-based paradigm towards a much more engaging fast-action combat system where you control every move! After receiving feedback from members of the community, conducting extensive focus tests, and evaluating the combat systems of other games in the genre, we are confident this new fast-action combat truly delivers what players, fans, and gamers have come to expect from a Star Wars experience.

As mentioned earlier, combat is not the only area where we decided to focus our improvement efforts. We have also improved and brought more clarity to the profession and character development system.

Changing a live game is never easy. We realize that players do not like to have their experience altered. These enhancements will take some getting used to and for that reason we lined-up some incentives for the current players to enjoy as our thanks for your loyalty to our game.

We value our community and want you to stay with us. Our goal is to continuously improve the Star Wars experience, the one we all know and love from the films and fiction; action-packed, story-driven, Star Wars fun. With these features and enhancements we are setting the stage for incredible things to come for Galaxies with more announcements happening in the coming months.

I'd like to thank you all for your continued support of Star Wars Galaxies and for making it one of the premier gaming experiences online today.

May The Force Be With You,

Julio Torres, Producer - LucasArts

Link here

Moonz

2. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    Granted I don't know exactly what they have planned but I belive this is the final nail in the coffin of Galaxies. What a shame it a great concept that they really screwed up.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    One of the things I heard is that they're changing smugglers a lot. They're getting rid of the Crafting portion of the Smuggler tree and making them a pure combat class. Plus, adding smuggling missions so smugglers can..you know...SMUGGLE!

4. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I think that the boat has already been missed on Galaxies.
    Too bad. They had a chance to have one of the all time great succeses in On-Line RPG to rank with Everquest, but they blew it in several ways.
    It will probably survive, but it is not the huge hit it should have been . And Lucasarts has only itself to blame.

5. moonz74

Jan 24, 2002

There are a few people who have played the new build that seem pretty excited about where the game is going. it may be unlikely but it seems like a pretty aggressive change and just maybe they get it right this time?

Take a look

Moonz

6. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i would like to see them actually fix the screwups and make it a decent game again. but as someone that has cancelled their subscription since the CU, i am doubtfull.

hey, would somebody PM me if they ever make this game decent again?

7. moonz74

Jan 24, 2002

I will let you know on friday... keep your fingers crossed because this game had alot of unrealised potential.

Moonz

8. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    Thanks for the info...and let us know how it turns out. I have to admit I'm still skeptical.

9. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I got an email today saying the new expansion has an army of droids led by HK-47.

WHY GOD? WHY?!

10. vader1025

vader1025 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2004
    Well, I pointed out, about 3 weeks ago, the SWG Starter Kit and everyone seemed to dismiss it-guess what-this is it. It's what new people get when they start.

11. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    World of Warcraft > Star Wars Galaxies, stop playing the game and pick up WoW :)

12. moonz74

Jan 24, 2002
    Some more info.

Moonz

BTW: I have alot of friends that play WOW and i have no doubt its a great game its just the goblin/wizard/elf stuff just isnt my thing.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well I've been looking into this in the SWG forums and I want to think that maybe *just maybe*, this could actually make for a better, more enjoyable game. I plan to check it out in the Test Center starting Friday, and get a better idea for how it actually pans out.

There are some things that strike me as positive. First of all, without any disrespect for those who liked professions like Bio-Engineer or Creatures Handler, these unusual professions didn't seem to belong in the Star Wars universe - at least not the one we've come to know from the movies. Heck, I've got a TKM alt and even I have to confess that I never saw how that fit in within the SW universe... I think perhaps in EU it might be more prominent but don't really know for sure.

Secondly, it should be fun to play a Jedi in SW -- and just overlook the fact that it might be slightly at odds with the timeline -- and I think it's great that player Bounty Hunters will no longer be able to hunt player Jedi. This system was really abused by a lot of griefers, and it's the best thing I can see in all of the new changes. Not only that, but also nobody will want to be a Jedi just to be "uber".

Lastly, the fact that they are getting rid of item decay is going to make things a heck of a lot simpler... no more worrying about whether something is going to decay if you get slain by a big bad mob... probably not much use for ADK's, either, and honestly that would be great, they were already selling for more than 20 million credits each.

I hope that SOE is pushed out of the game sooner or later, because they did a horrible job with it and it was painful to see all the wasted potential, knowing how much better it could be. And as God is my witness, I will never buy an SOE game ever, ever, ever again...

14. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    Everything looks like it could work out.....my only concern is giving people the option to be "Force Sensitive" to begin with. I know one of the complaints from old school players is that are too many Jedi running around as is. They should keep it that you have to master a certain number of professions before you can become force senitive. The majority of people (including myself admittedly) will be choosing this right off the bat. I know some people will choose BH and other professions but I see this becoming an issue.

15. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Yeah, this could actually be a good thing. I will wait and see how the fans react to the changes after they actually take place before I decide on whether or not this is "the final nail in SWG's coffin". I would love nothing more than to see Galaxies become the best MMORPG on the net.

16. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't have Galaxies and I'm really glad I don't. I'd of left a long time ago when they first started to frack up Galaxies and I find it highly amusing that most people on a SW board don't even like Galaxies and the pro-Galaxies fans are very very small (coughsennyonlyjustaboutcaugh).

17. swimmerman91

swimmerman91 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2005
    Have it, and it sucks, you have to pay to play!!!! never tried it, its for sale too!

18. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I've never tried Galaxies but if this "fixes" it then I might pick it up. As it is, I am greatly enjoying City of Heroes.

19. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    I'll sell it to ya!!

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This sounds like it's a step in the right direction. I'm hoping this is the first of several "repairs" to the game- I'd love to come back, but stuff like the CU just did not appeal to me at all.

21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The inability to change one's template anytime they like is one of the worst things with this "enhancement". Then there's the fact that us Weaponsmiths are having our profession dumbed down along with no item decay. And, we'll only be able to do just one profession at any time. Older players will have a limited number of respec tokens, but honestly, how many people do you expect will stick around with such a radical change to the system?

22. vader1025

vader1025 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2004
    Well, again the new system is going to be interesting to try.

The people that are excited about no item decay have ot ask themselves how weaponsmith, armorsmiths etc will still make a living.

23. moonz74

Jan 24, 2002
    Found a couple of screenshots at gamespot of what appears to be the new player intro...

[image=http://www.freelanceffects.com/Forum/NGE/468222_20051102_screen001.jpg]

[image=http://www.freelanceffects.com/Forum/NGE/468222_20051102_screen004.jpg]

[image=http://www.freelanceffects.com/Forum/NGE/468222_20051102_screen006.jpg]

[image=http://www.freelanceffects.com/Forum/NGE/468222_20051102_screen009.jpg]

More images

Moonz

24. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    game play, and overall game play sucks to me!

25. moonz74

Jan 24, 2002
    I cannot disagree with you on that I think the point of this is that the game play that sucks is going away, now that doesn't mean the New Game Enhancements won't suck but we have been told that on nov 15 all will be able to try it for themselves via free trial.

One of the ways they tested the new changes was to get a couple people that have quit the game since launch and some that couldn't stand it from the start and so far what they have had to say is that this is how it should have been from day one

Of course if a mmo wasn't your thing to begin with then I doubt you would find any interest in this.

Myself I have been hanging in there for 2 years now and ironically was literally a day away from hitting the cancel button myself. Either way I/we should know in the next few days whether this game failed or just got the "fix" it always needed... right now i am optimistic.

Moonz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.