main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWG Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moonz74, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I think the problem they have is so many people have been turned off by the seemingly endless line of mistakes in handling the game that even if they get it right..finally...most of the potential customers won't care, and the game will end up being played by small niche group of gamers. That is fine in itself,, but then Lucasarts might not find it worthwhile from a business point of view to keep the game going.
    There is no doubt that what should have been a triumph now has, at best, the potential to be a modest sucess.

2. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    you can be a jedi/force sensitive from the begining?(that could bring alot of ppl back if the gameplay is improved)

3. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    yup just read it. jedi is a STARTING CLASS.

nov.15

what exactly is the starter kit?. if your new do you have to have it?
    or can you go buy the total experience?
    If i'm a new player will i have to wait to get the starter pack to play as a jedi or new prof.? or can i just but the total experience now and wait to make a character?

4. juzarj

juzarj Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2003
    i played SWG in beta and HATED it, the combat was boring and i couldnt stand the skill tree system.

im a big MMO fan and just cancled my WoW account a few days ago so im looking for something to play, i never thought id give SWG another shot but this does look very interesting..

ill definitely give the free trial a try

5. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm going to wait until I try the free trial before I thumb my nose at the fix. But I'll tell you this, if the game still sucks as much as it does now, Galaxies is doomed forever.

6. swimmerman91

swimmerman91 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2005
    It would help A LOT if we didn't have to Pay good $$$$ to play a suckish game!!!!
    I mean, you can but plenty of more, better games for like $$30$$ a month!!!!! sucks, blows, and swallows!

7. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    If you didn't have to pay a monthly fee to play SWG, I would buy it even in its current suckish state. But it's definately not worth paying a monthly fee for. In fact, no game is worth that IMO.

8. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    Can we try to get about a thousand people to complain......I have the worthless box/game just sitting uselessy by the side of my computer. I can't sell it for more than $5 and the store won't take it back..this SUCKS!!

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Heck, I'm more than happy to pay .50 cents a day for a gaming environment that lets you live in the SW universe, it's the best bang for my buck.

Granted, SOE did a lot of horrible things with the game and was slowly running it into the ground, but I think LucasArts understood what was happening and stepped in to make it a better game... we'll know for sure when we get the first chance to play it... I remain cautiously optimistic. :D

10. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm still for the angry mob Idea!:mad: :)

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    "It would help A LOT if we didn't have to Pay good $$$$ to play a suckish game!!!!"

And it's for this very reason that they're working at making the game better for everyone.

Even then, 1 month is, at the very most, $15. It's less per month if you pay for a larger block of time. Futhermore, you'll find that many other MMORPGs have similar pricing plans. The devs don't spend years of their lives working on these games for nothing. They've got families to feed and mortgages to pay like everyone else, thus the price. I'd suggest you get used to the idea.

12. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    No thanks, I just wont play. and Why don't they just put the game for like 70$ so people pay for it up front. and $50 is enough!

13. juzarj

juzarj Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2003
    heres some videos from the test server

http://hosted.filefront.com/swgvids

14. TillTheEndOfTime

TillTheEndOfTime Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    Or find a game thats better then SWG & free & has alot of players on it for examble

"Guild Wars"

15. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Yes, but Guild Wars is more the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of MMORPGs out there are primarily subscription based.

16. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004

When you think about it, 15 dollars really isn't all that much.

If you spend a night at the movies you're looking at paying at least 9 dollars. More if you're going to get some snacks. And a hell of alot more if you're brining along that special someone.

By the end of the night you've spent at least 15-30 bucks. And for what? 2 hours of entertainment?

A MMOG is 15 bucks for 720 hours of entertainment.

Sounds like a deal to me.

17. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm lookin forward to this.Although i have not played in so long it'll seem like a new game to me anyway.will be getting the starter kit.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That new intro actually looks pretty neat- certainly much more inetresting than the original tutorial level ;)

19. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    Quick question...
    I'm going to start playing again with the new system.Will i have to buy the new "starter pack" to play with the new system? or can i buy the total experience after it goes live and use that?(cause i seen a few copys of it at a local store)will i be able to pick one of the new prof. with TTE? will it just patch up?

will TTE have the new tutorial etc. etc.?(sorry been outta the game a while)

20. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    If you purchase the Total Experience, you'd install it as per usual, but then the game itself would update automatically before you could log in. So, in a manner of speaking, yes, the TE does come with the updates.

21. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    ok thx so if i buy the TE (i dont plan on makin a char. till the NGE is in) i'll have no problem starting with one of the new prof.? and the new tutorial will be in thx.(and if i did make a character now what would happen to it come nov 15?)cause i'd like to get ROTW and the starter dont have that

lookin forward to it. thx again (sorry before i spend 30$ just wanted to make sure)

22. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I hope these changes work. I played SWG at a friends house and was not very impressed.

If these changes improve the game, i will certainly start playing. What is the best server for those based in the UK?

23. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    this is VERY interesting. I stopped playing a few weeks ago (but not because I'm whining to no end, I just got bored after 1.5 years)
    when these changes go up, I'll take a look again - it will decide my SWG-fate: Either I'll like it and play again (at least for a while) or not.

SWG was always "either you like it or you don't". I actually don't understand people who bitch, moan and whine all day long about something they obviously don't like. o_O
    (but then again, that can be said about a lot of things on the internet...)

24. The_Skull

The_Skull Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2005
    A good friend of mine says it best in the SWG forums

Wow - less than 48 hours ago, this thread was only 12 pages long; now it's over 72(83 as of 11AM 11/06)...

There are so many things I'd like to say to SOE/LA development group, but all of it has been said already by those who replied before me. I won't go into a rant here (although, believe me... I'd love to). In actuality, words can't express the mixture of dismay and anger resulting from this 'surprise' upgrade coming out the day after the new expansion (which I pre-ordered) went live.

What I will say to the people at SOE/LA is all about finances. This must be something they've overlooked (I know, just one of many things they've overlooked). As far as I can tell, the player base stands right now at about 200,000. If half of the people leave because of this (and that's a good probability considering the posts that I've been reading), SOE/LA stands to lose around $1.5 million a month! I don't know about the corporate attitudes at SOE/LA, but any normal corporation would consider that loss unacceptable. And so I hope that Julio Torres and the other 'masterminds' (where did they get these people - Cornered Rat Software???) at SOE/LA realize that they have placed their jobs on the line supporting this.

I pondered a long time about why SOE/LA would do this, and after much deliberation, the only reason I can see is to make SWG console-compatible. Well, they can have it. Among many other innovate ideas that drew me to SWG 2 years ago was the fact that I didn't have to deal with the masses of preteens, tweens, and teenie-bopping kids that ruin my experience. The immature stayed away from the game because it was too complex for them, and that suited me fine. Now, with adding FPS-Twitch system and console compatability, I'm faced with a future of listening to all the drivel some immature kid can spam out to the current server I'm a part of. I have decided that as much as I love the SW Universe, I will not put up with masses of the immature. If I wanted an FPS, I would play Battlegrounds. If I wanted WOW, I'd be playing that (I reserve that game for my 10 and 14-year old kids - they can have it). I am cancelling my subscription (good thing I had decided to wait on getting my second account).

Though I am very upset about this whole sordid affair, I do try to find the silver lining in even the blackest of clouds. I had to search long in this one, but I did manage to salvage some hope: I'm now ready to pay for my new monthly subscription to DND Online.

Coydog

Starsider - Grig Starhopper mBH / mCM 0001 Pistols

25. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    i used to play the game and i loved it

but my suscription ended and i think its too much money to pay for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.