main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWG - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darkness_Himself, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neogeta

Neogeta Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2004
    I'v been playing the trial for a little over a week and I have to say its great and I'v ordered the full version.

You should ask yourself what do you want to do with this game, want to go around kicking ass, shooting, exploring, building things. Try to have a clear picture of what you want to do and who you want to be. I wish I'd have taken my own advice lol.

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Is it one of those games that are only fun if you have a cool party, or can you have a good time soloing as well?

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Half in half. You're going to solo a bit, because the social aspect just isn't there, and I admit I had doubleplus more fun when I was able to play with even just one other person, although he was a close friend of mine.

¤Night

4. Raynar

Raynar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 1999
    I'd say the same thing as the above. It's fun for a little while if you have no one else to play with - but it gets old very quickly. With friends the fun lasts longer - but does eventually fade away.

I haven't played in a month and a half mind you but I can't imagine much has changed :/

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    A game where you could conceivably spend large amounts of time doing precious little, and spend large amounts of money on? And people buy this stuff?

KOTOR. You know where your $$$ are with that one.

6. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I am looking into buying it.

7. kkennedy3

kkennedy3 Jedi Master

May 3, 2004
    As you can see in my pic, I'm a long time SWG veteran. I've been playing since launch and am yet to get bored with it. If you don't go and try to master every profession in a week, you'll more than likely love it. Most of the people that don't like it are the ones who master professions mindlessly, and run out of things to do. Take the time to roleplay and socialize, and IMO it's the best SW game ever made.

8. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    im half and half after playing the trial for a week or so.

i had the privlage of joining a small but rich guild that was able to give me some nice stuff to have fun with. and they are alot of fun to play with because they take me around everywhere and show me everything.

there are times where the game is alot of fun, but for me alot of the time is just boring. looking for big creatures to kill to get a minute bit of xp for that i can use a weapon that actually does some damage. but its like that in alot of MMORPGs, which is something i jsut dont like in general.

one major thing that i absolutly hate is the player cities and resource collectors. i go across Tantooine and i never leave a giant city. there are houses and mines all over the place, it jsut ruins the feeling of actually being on a barren planet.

to me the cons out weigh the pros. i just have the massive amounts of time the game requires to get into the higher levels.

9. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I tried the free two week trial version. While I did have fun, I wouldn't bring myself to paying for it. I think that my dislike for it, however, is more to do with the monthly fee than anything else. I refuse to continue to pay for a game that I already shelled out $40 to $50 for. It just seems wrong. I will stick to KOTOR for a good Star Wars RPG.

10. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    If you guys have anything else to add on this topic, do so soon. I'm going to be writing an editorial soon on this topic from TFNG, taking some replies from here.

¤Night

11. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    I refuse to continue to pay for a game that I already shelled out $40 to $50 for

personally i agree with you totally on this. i already bought the game, now they re going to charge me to play it?!?!?! but there are valid reasons for the fees. that money goes to maintain servers and internet service. althoguh i do believe a fair amount of each fee is going stright into their pocket.

from the perspective of a college student there are many detractors to this game. the fees are one thing, sure o like to game and i love star wars but i gotta eat too. and also the time involeved. i could either hit the books and get a better grade on this upcoming test or i can go hang out in the desert of Tantooine looking for something to kill. now being a school minded person, i go and study. given the time involved to get to the really cool stuff in the game, its just not practical for me. sure i could be one of the many AFK entertainers that do nothing but dance or play in a canteen ALL HOURS OF THE DAY. sure if i had an extra computer that i could just run the game constantly that might not be too bad. but i dont, i only have my one laptop which goes with me to all my classes and does 75% of my homework.

the truth is, im not a casual gamer, if im gonna play a game im gonna play it to death and experiance everything the game has to offer. after all im paying my good money for it, why shouldnt i play to my hearts content? but the massive amount of time it takes to grind out the proffesions is just ungodly, and givien previous reasons i just cant put in the time.

all in all the game is not a bad game. but its not a great game either. the game still has many imbalances, which i wont go into now. its not as bad as it was when the game came out and several proffesions where just flat broken. but again, those have generally been fixed. it is just another MMORPG, it has the same fun aspects, it also has the same pitfalls. if people like MMORPGs then they like galaxies, if people are huge Star Wars fans then they can pry enjoy the game casually as a roleplayer, but if you dont like or play MMORPGs in general then this is pry not the game for you.

12. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Well I got the free trial and I HATED IT!

It is so boring!

and it took like 8 min to kill ONE LITLE THING OUT IN THE DESERT!

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IS IS A WASTE OF TIME GET A GAME LIKE STRA WARS JEDI KNIGHT 3 or Knight of the old republic but NOT THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    This thread summed up:

Its a fun game...if you have groups/friends to play with (soloing isn't fun enough), and you are able to put long hours in (grinding and afk macroing suck). Even if you meet those conditions, you need to pay (gah, monthly payments! ).

Though, if those three factors don't bother you, go for it.

14. kkennedy3

kkennedy3 Jedi Master

May 3, 2004
    han_solo_321,

You get mad because it takes 8 min. to kill something... but what did you expect? You start the game as a major noob, you're not supposed to be able to kill things really fast when you first start. Find some friends, and join a guild, then you'll level up in no time. Seems to me you think you should be able to kill everything in the game the first day you start. Take the time to actually master a profession or two and you can solo anything in the game.

15. PolvinKut

PolvinKut Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003
    I've been playing Final Fantasy XI for a good while now so I think I have a good idea about what MMORPGs are about. I'm very interested in this game mainly because I'm a big Star Wars fan and a friend of mine has the game but no one that he knows to play it with.

I'll probably be a human Scout where as my friend is a Brawler. We have a couple of other friends too that'll play with us, a Marksman and I forget what the other is.

I've played it a couple of times at my friend's house and just being in the Star Wars universe running around and what not is just plain freaking cool. Looking up at the faint Tatooine sky to see the outline of a Star Destroyer gave me chills.

16. heydude32188

heydude32188 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2004
    the monthly subscription fees do suck pretty bad i would have the game if it wasnt for those i myself think that they probably have enough money to keep the servers up if they get low they should be releasin games to raise more money the other problem is that the trial would take two weeks to download no exageration and our computer is not that bad so this kind of sucks

17. PolvinKut

PolvinKut Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003

[image=http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v36/KillSimon/Stuff2/MISC/vader.jpg]

18. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Honestly, I'm pretty clueless about Galaxies. Is this game like Jedi Academy in the sense of chatting? Because when I played JA, it seemed as if it was just one huge chat room and no one took it as just a game, and they were incredibly serious about the whole issue of joining clans and whatnot. Is Galaxies anything like this? Or is it just a normal online game where you come just to play? Or does it have parts that are like a normal fighting game, and parts that are just chatting?

Also, from what I was reading before, it seemed as if you could only have one character. Does this mean that if you have more than one person who play the game on one computer, they have to play as the same character?

19. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    It's completely different from JA. It's like Everquest almost. Same type of game.

You can have 4 characters, but only 1 on a server. If you and your sister or brother wanted different characters, they couldn't ever interact with each other.

¤Night

20. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Hmmm well then if it wasn't for the monthly $15, I'd go out and buy it right now...

21. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Get the free 14 day trial at Fileplanet! :)

¤Night

22. heydude32188

heydude32188 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2004
    my friend bought the game he only has 56k and we cant get dsl where we live

i played the game and it paused so freakin much u couldn't even turn around in under 2 min

if i could get out of the city i would play it b/c it doesnt pause as much out there i was so excited about playing it

23. JawaSmuggler

JawaSmuggler Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2004
    i quit after opening my jedi slot that should tell you somethin!!

24. Dillon_23

Dillon_23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2004
    I like the game especialy now that they have jump into lightspeed. I have only been playing it for a few months though. The only problem isnt with Modem(well sometimes it is..)its with your pc old pc wont play it. I have all the requirments but a high enough memory so it makes the game run a bit unsmooth.

25. Chaachi

Chaachi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2004
    It pauses cause your grafficks setting is to high or your PC is a wimp[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.