main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWG - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darkness_Himself, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    The skill/attribute system is tedious and doesn't make sense. Lacks the fast-paced theme that Star Wars games should have. Crafting and the economy were too overly complicated too.

Being a newbie and shooting a butterfly at point-blank range for two minutes just doesn't look right.

Cool character appearance customization, but then again, who takes to time to actually *look* at another player's facial features?

I played when it first came out, *lots* of running. I tried the again sinse then and they've put in vehicles which you...keep in your pocket?!?

2. Xiin_Khalduhn

Xiin_Khalduhn Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2004
    I liked the game, just recently got #$%^ed over because I didn't keep up on my houses' maintence so i lost everything, oh wel; :( the game is a waste of time, and it's a sad thing the company who made it has the only online sw game that will ever be made, b/c it could be a ***t load better than what the piece of crap game it is.... here's hoqw I look at it... Oh dude I'm gonna bea zabrak, So i made a zabarak, then IO started the game, after 3 hours of punchuing flagpoles i was finally accepted as being an imperial and could learn unarmed 3.... after about 5 hours of killing tusken raiders i finally could be a teras kasi novice.... after about 10 hours of killing tusken raiders again and with the exception of those 10, 3 killing rancors i became a master..... then I decided to spend the rest on bounty hunter so i could kill some jedi..... thats the bad way i look at the game...... now here's my good perspective... Sweet I just joined a guild and we are hunting jedi, we wear red chef hats for rebel jedui and blue chef hats for imperial jedi... we also used microphones for a program called teamspeak so we can chat.... we go around raping jedi left and right after a while it jsut gets boriong, nothing much to do after beating all the dungeons and mastering a lot of pointless professions.... well the game is over for me, at least until they fix thwe missions, because all you do is hit piles of leaves and animnals bigger than the so called "nest" appear from thin air.

3. Xiin_Khalduhn

Xiin_Khalduhn Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2004
    Yeah I guess when I type super fast I can't freakin' spell, sorry for my stupidity :p

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Getting back on the subject, this isn't a game which one can master overnight. The game itself provides the player with the framework needed to roleplay in a virtual environment. A lot of people come into the game expecting a zillion and one things and always having to rely upon the devs to provide content. That's true to an extent, the devs should provide some kind of content. I've had fun raiding Fort Tusken, going hunting for Krayt Dragons, exploring places seen and referred to in the films and so forth. But what provides me with the most fun is the interaction I have with other players. A lot of people hold events and competitons, other people (including myself) run businesses where they make, buy, or sell goods and services, and other players ennjoy PVPing, regardless, there's something there for everyone.

In a nutshell, the game is what you make of it. If you sit around and want the devs to constantly add new things for you, then this isn't your game. If you're willing to take what the devs have given you and make the best of it or add on to it and improvise a little, then this game is for you.

5. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    I'm thinking of buying Galaxies, but I have one question, how do you pay for the month? If I just order it from a site (amazon.co.uk) will I get the first month free or, what...

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Yes, the first month comes free. After that, you can pay via credit card or thru a 60 day game card which you can purchase.

7. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    not a great game. good at first but then got boring and it takes you like an hour to get somewhere if you dont have a speederbike, so i was ok for me.

8. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Do yourself a favor and buy World of Warcraft

9. vader1025

vader1025 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2004
    I'm curious what people's feelings are on it now. post CU, post ROTW.

10. Addiction

Addiction Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    no wait till swg 2 if ever

11. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    Has the latest Rage of the Wookies expansion made a difference to your own personal level of enjoyment?

12. vader1025

Dec 2, 2004
    Well, I hate the CU but ROTW has made me forgive that blunder and stick with it.
    I would say though, if you are anything other than a fighter, seriously consider if you are going to give it a long term commmittment.
    All these jerks that said go to WoW, or WoW rocks etc have finally gotten thir way..SWG is turning into that.
    In other words, a good portion of the community is being dumped on to please the uber leet, leet-speek crowd and the game has been dumbed down considerably.
    They would've been bettter off not beging the people that left for WoW to come back because they are usually the ones that ruin it for true Star Wars fans-if not, why would they be playing a hack and slash orcs and wizard game and not living the greatest saga of all time?

13. vader1025

Dec 2, 2004

With most fans refusing to play, I doubt there will ever be an SWG2.

Sure the game has bugs but not one single mmorpg doesn't.
    Alsonot one other mmorpg has a social or crafting system like SWG-even after the uber l33t d00ds ruined a lot with the WoW/EQ2 copy known as the CU.
    If you are looking for a hack and slash fighting game, this isn't for you but if you are looking for a game with greater freedom and depth than any previous Star Wars game, than give it a try.

14. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    Sorry, but could you define a few terms there for those of us who are on the outside looking in?

What's "the Cu", "uber leet", "leet-speek", "uber l33t dOOds"?

15. -Nightwolf-

-Nightwolf- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    The CU is the combat "upgrade" that SOE put on all the servers. It killed the game.

16. vader1025

Dec 2, 2004
    As stated earlier, the CU is the Combat Upgrade. It was supposed to make the combat "more exciting and fast paced" but instead, made it so everyone has a level number above their head and if it's 2 levels above you, you can't solo it and if 10 levels below you, 1 xp.
    From what I'm told, this is pretty much like all the others-removing the "uniquenss" btw, yes, there were issues but a balancing could've fixed that.The other problem is the CU went too far in ruining the people that want to Roleplay as doctors and all other crafters have trouble travelign without getting killed (this has gotten a lot better though).
    Now, the uber l33t d00bs are stupid, immature punks, for lack of a better word. They are the ones that only are playing this game to kill someone and say "I pwnd j00". Most have a 1st grade education level and have no idea how to use English.
    They also could care less about Star Wars and make fun of Roleplayers and have names like homer Simpson, Brittney Spears, etc.
    They complain there is no content because they burn out on the universe fast to run to another game-like Worlds of Warcart.
    Not a bad game, btw, but it's not Star Wars. To us fans, that would bother us but to them, they are just on a slash and burn path to the next fad game that won;t be remembered in 20 years.
    Sony decided they wanted these people back-most left when Wow came out-and since they are selfish and only care about their gameplay, anyone that was not a fighter was hurt.
    I believe, after thse people leave again, the people that love Star Wars will win out.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It did not kill the game. It made us adjust our strategies.

18. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004

Well I cancelled my account because of what SWG has become. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't come back to a sequel. Especially if they took the mistakes they learned from SWG. (They're constant rapage of continuity, and the lack of a Galactic Civil War)

19. Addiction

Addiction Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    They need to make swg2 around the time of ep1 so everyone can be a jedi. (thats one major problem solved right there)

20. vader1025

Dec 2, 2004
    I would agree with the last two posts. If they insist on having jedi, they need to move the timeline waaay back or waaay forward and most people that play have such a low Star Wars IQ, they would have no idea who Thrawn was or the Vong, so forward is probably out.

21. -Nightwolf-

-Nightwolf- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Yeah but you need to consider that regular people want to either be in the rebellion or empire, and be jedi. SOE didn't care about timelines, just sales. I for one am not going to become a jedi just to spite them.

22. vader1025

Dec 2, 2004
    The problem, as I see it, is the "regular" people just want to hack and slash. You hardly find anyone staying the same faction-they constantly switch back and forth.
    I do agree that SOE has completely mismanaged this game and if Blizzard got the license, I would be gone. (they offer a lot better customer service from what I hear.)
    Since Factions don't really matter to these people, they could be Republic, Seaparatist, Vong or imperial Remnant-they wouldn't care as long as they can fight.
    Now, for people that know what being a Rebel or Imperial mean-and not a means to a fighting end, the above does not apply.

23. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    CU sucks, I left the game shortly after and switched to WoW.

SWG was:
    Too repetitive
    Too complex (The crafting sytem)
    Bad XP for any kills
    Killed by way lower levels than you (I was lvl 30 with all good armour and i got pwned by a lvl 20)
    Crap monsters that look all the same
    ROTW expansion was too small and didnt really add anything important
    Takes way too long to get any xp to level
    Lack of depth (No story whatso ever)

The only good thing was JTL (Jump to lightspeed) because it was like the old X-wing games.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    RotW added TONS of stuff to SWG

and 5 of my old guildmates who all left for WoW at the same time returned to SWG in the past two weeks

25. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Personally i have a love hate relationship with the game.

I started the game really exitedly before the CU over a year ago, i made friends, joined a Guild, went Rebel and started grinding Swordsman.

Things were going great, i was even Force Sensative since i had gained all the badges neccasery.

But i was having a major problem with Lag on the Bria server, the largest server in the game.

So, much to my regret, i swithced servers and started on a new server leaving my frineds behind.

This time, i took a few days and grinded solidly to Tera Kasi Master, at that time the strongest prof in the game, and i was quite happy, going around on my own, rarely in groups, and simply killing things and exploring.

Well, with me being stupid enough to join yet another US server while i live in the UK, i slowly got lonely, only being able to play among my guild at 12-4AM.

So basicly i was stuck playing by myself most of the time, not to mention by this time i had been most of the worthwhile sights and done most of the worthwhile missions.

Jedi was a no-go since i have never had the drive to grind as much XP as i needed.

So i steadily became disheartened and lef the game.

Well, my friend from up the road also started playing, and a few months later, convinced me to sign on, just after the CU had launched.

Well, the game was suprisingly fun again, only i found TKM had been nerfed something awful.

Never one to give in i started going into space a lot, grinding both Pistoleer and Smuggler.

Well, i'd been enjoying the CU for a while, despite characters been a lot weaker it was more true to SW, not being able to Solo Krayt Dragons anymore.
    So my Toon is currently Master on both my combat profs and i'm Level 80, as high as you can go.
    And i'm no longer trying for Jedi since the XP to get it is still just as stupid as before.

Thing is, i'v been playing a year and i'm an adventurer and explorer, who also likes to socialize.

There is only so many times you can see Space without it seeming that its just the same pin-pricks of light with a diffrent colored nebula or hunks of rock.

With there being such a small ammount of planets it's only a matter of time before everything becomes 'same-y'

You can no longer even explore by yourself if no one is on, the odds of running into something you cant fight is now huge, since as long as its over level 40 and has more than 6 buddies, which most lairs do, then your probobly gunna get ganked and slaughtered.

Plus a LOT of memebers have left since the CU and some that stayed are quickly getting sick of certain things, so the population is shrinking rapidly.
    And as people leave those who stay are getting more and more antisocial.

I was sat in a Cantina in Mos Eisley, the place were new players all spawn, and in 4 hours only 2 older players passed through, and out of the 20 dots that were constantly on the radar, all but 2-3 were AFK.

Along with that, Coronet which has always been lag centeral for the ammount of player that gather there is deserted, no one hardly goes there anymore.

Mining Outpost on Dantooine sort of replaced it, but despite the fact that there are usuyally 30 dots or so, 10 of them are AFK Spammers and the rest are simply grinding.
    This is suposed to be the new most popular spot and only 20 people there at any one time.

Even the more popular passtimes are getting harder to get groups for.

Krayt Hunting, Corvette Groups, Grinding...

All of them take ages to get groups now, people used to leap at the chance, and now you mostly get new players who havcent got bored yet asking to join.
    And even that can take up to an hour, to gather 7 people to do something that was popular.

The game seems to be dying very quickly, even if some people cant seem to see it.

It's sad in a way, but even i have no plans to boot my game up again or renew my account nat the end of this month.

Whent he high point of your 8 hour gaming session is buying a Red and Black Pilots Jacket and sitting in a Cantina for 3 hours that is full of

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.