main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPG SWG or SWTOR? WHich is more fun?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by EmperorAjay, Dec 2, 2014.

1. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    Which do you think is more fun?

2. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I think SWTOR was a quality MMO, but I was a big fan of KOTOR, and TOR really annoyed me, it was like a betrayal. I was one of the many people who wanted a KOTOR III, but sadly this didn't happen. I really disliked the concept - and premiss of TOR.

I guess this is why SWG is my favourite. Again the premiss of the game was difficult to accept, since it contradicted the movies, but it was okey I guess. I had some really good experiences with the game and that's worth something.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    SWTOR was great for telling you a single player story where occasionally you could interact with others.

4. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    For the brief time that I played SWG, I was really struck by how much it really seemed you were part of the galaxy. Granted, it was pretty empty, the graphics were kinda iffy, but it presented the galaxy in a strangely . . . normal way.

It may have lacked the polish that SWTOR has, and it never really had a story for your character. But that's the reason I liked it! I enjoyed it far more than SWTOR because I felt like an actual citizen of the GFFA. In a sense, I wasn't special, I wasn't a savior. I was just one small person in a huge galaxy, living their life along with everybody else. I was able to craft a more personal story because of its open-endedness, and the lack of my character having a voice. I was my character's voice in SWG! And the environments, despite their bleakness, felt more real and immersive than SWTOR's, where everything is placed with a purpose and there's mobs or NPCs everywhere.

I wish there was a bigger market in Star Wars for games that have the player be a common joe. Being a Jedi and saving the galaxy is great and all, but I'm more intrigued by experiencing what it would actually be like to live in this universe. And so far, SWG was the closest I got to experiencing that.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    If you have the original discs then you can play SWGemu. It isn't finished yet, it is still in alpha, but 90-95% of the game is there. They just had a huge update and so the server's uptime will be hit or miss for the next few weeks. That being said, it still has all of the depth of the Live version and a pretty active player base.

Never played TOR, but my friends who did told me that it was essentially WOW with lightsabers and that is not something I want. SWG was/is one giant sandbox, WOW was totally spoonfed and that isn't what I want in a game, especially an RPG.

6. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    I didn't have the chance to play SWG before the server went silent, but I do enjoy TOR, even as a F2P user. 2 factions, 8 unique characters and stories, built-in multiplayer. Maybe it's because it's the only mmorpg I've played, maybe it's because all other games I've played have significantly less content, but I like it a lot. Most games I own I can explore every aspect of and complete in a couple days, given my schedule. TOR will take about 4-6 months for me based on how much free time I have. And that's just the f2p content (essentially the original release, pre-expansions).

7. Sithaldo

Sithaldo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    SWG was the reason I bought my first ever PC. I had no knowledge of computers at the time, so I went into the shop and said, I want something that can play SWG. Then I played it for around 4/5 years. Almost finishing the BH class but then giving up and mastered Tera Kasi Artist. I couldn't be bothered with the Holocron hunt so stayed TK. Then they bought in the village and I started my Jedi path. Was involved with one guild over 3 years, then they quit to play EQ2 so I joined up with a RP guild and had fun with that. Absolutely loved SWG, and the Jump to Lightspeed expansion was great. It was a big part of my life at the time, much to the dismay of my then g/f. But I made some really good friends whilst playing as it had a great community. Left for a little while and went back after the NGE update and it just wasn't the same, and the numbers were dwindling so I stopped playing.

Fired up the SWGemu but because there was nowhere near the level of numbers playing I quickly got bored of it.

When SWTOR came out I jumped straight into that. However my ageing PC couldn't handle it all that well, so I got a new one. But I could never really get into it. There was just something that didn't sit right with me with the game. I don't think the community was there like it was in SWG. I occasionally dipped into it, but I never really wanted to invest much time into it like I did with SWG. I had a sub running but never played, and last month I finally got around to cancelling the renewal.

For me, SWG did everything right when it came to an MMORPG. The ability for player housing, the wealth of professions, the community, everything was done perfectly until they started to nerf it. For me, it was even better than WoW, which I attempted to play for a little while in the absence of SWG. But I was always pining for my house on Tatooine.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    SWG was a great game, shame it never reached the heights it should have.

I like TOR, but SWG was a far more expanded galaxy. TOR is only now getting stuff like player housing, the fact it went free to play so soon after launch also says a lot.

9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I believe the Live version of SWG has gone down in the annals of gaming as "How NOT to run an MMORPG". With that being said, much of the credit for that lies at the feet of LucasArts which had a very strict content approval system and often tied down SOE in regards with what they wanted to do for the game. LA bungled this even worse when they decided on the NGE after they noticed the success of WOW amidst their constant gripe about how the game wasn't attracting the million or so players they thought it would. All this while SOE took the heat from players and the press for the missteps of LA.

That said, if you're still interested in playing and still have your original game discs, you can play the SWG emulator (SWGemu) for free. Head over to www.swgemu.com to find out more.