TOR SWG Players - Skipping, Joining, or Juggling?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My fellow steadfast souls who have stuck to the greatest MMORPG of all time* through impossible odds -- are you skipping TOR and sticking to said greatest MMO, joining TOR and leaving SWG in the dust, or choosing to juggle both?

*From a certain point of view. :p
  2. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    SWG was a piece of crap. I've been playing WoW since it came out, but I plan on giving TOR a try.
  3. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love SWG to death, so I think they'll have to push me out kicking and screaming. :p Regardless of my inability to let go of the older MMO, I'll be latching on to TOR as soon as it comes out.
  4. Kietharr Jedi Knight

star 1
    Skipping. SWG was a great game, WoW is a handholding carebear fantasyland and TOR will be following that model, not the model of SWG.

And when I talk about SWG I'm talking about before that stupid Everquest in space Kashyyyk-on-rails expansion ruined it.

I've already gathered that TOR will not have a good crafting system simply because no mainstream MMO since SWG has given it a second thought, really only EVE mirrors the complex player driven economy that SWG created but its gameplay is horrific. It's story based so obviously quest grinds will be present, as well as quest stonewalling. There are EIGHT classes, four if you account for the fact that faction opposite classes are likely to be very similar. There are single player games (a LOT of single player games) that have more character diversity.

SWG was not a perfect game, it had balance problems. Problems that could have been fixed with simple tweaks to a few items and professions (basically nerf doctor buffs so people wouldn't have the secondary stats to wear full 80% composite armor 24/7 without any significant encumb or outright nerf composite armor so it wasn't 80% resist to everything but stun). But instead they revamped the entire combat system. Twice. But it had freedom, REAL character diversity in a way that no other game has ever had, and what was essentially a perfect crafting system that fueled what was the first player driven economy. Also, entertainer professions were vastly amusing. I remember many an hour spent hanging out in cantinas with a few friends waiting for our other friends to get home from school/work and play. Sure, some of them were full of AFK buffbots but we always had a few good entertainers at the Bestine cantina actually, you know, entertaining us. I always gave the attended entertainers decent tips. Especially this one morbidly obese wookiee with 0 dancing skill who would always fall over, I gave him like 50k every time I saw him, nothing beats watching a dancing fat wookiee fall on his ass over and over again. Oh also SWG had a sweet fishing system, just thought I'd throw that out there too because I feel it was a critical game mechanic.

I don't know, in SWG it just felt like you were an average Joe living in the galaxy far far away, which is an aesthetic I enjoy. I don't want to feel pressured into grinding quests in a game I am supposed to be enjoying with my friends, if I wanted to do that I'd play a single player game like, oh, I don't know, KOTOR. With good company all you really need for fun is a decent framework and some content, quests only detract from that framework by making you paint the same picture with your character that everyone else has.

They're only making TOR an MMO for the huge profit margins and piracy protection.
  5. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You assume too much. :p
  6. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Anyone ever heard of http://www.swgemu.com/ ? I just saw the link for it the other day and haven't really found anything out about whether it's playable or anything.
  7. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Nope, I hadn't seen that. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck it is. :p
  8. Kietharr Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's a project to create an emulation of SWG so people can run 'freeshards' (basically player run servers with customized rulesets based on the patches) like they do with UO. With the team they have working on it as a hobby it's going to take a very long time for it to be working, been in beta for years now.

The big problem is SWG was much more advanced than UO (and in many ways it was more advanced than the other popular freeshard game, WoW) so it's a much harder job getting it to work correctly. Not to mention the gigantic database pain in the ass with each item having unique stats, not that big of a deal for professional developers with high grade servers but very difficult for an indie team doing it with their free time.
  9. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That's...kind of...interesting, I suppose. Maybe even cool, in a way. Not sure I'd really subscribe to using it, though. Mostly because I don't mind the way SWG is now. I rather like it, actually.
  10. Timstuff Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    For me, it depends on the payment options. If the only way to play is to pay $15 for unlimited monthly access, I probably won't be able to afford both the money and time investments. To get the most of your money on a plan like that you have to play a lot, and I sometimes go a whole week without playing games because I don't always have time. I hope that they offer a lower plan where you can just buy a few hours of playtime for a dollar or something like that.
  11. JestorRodo Jedi Padawan

SWG Players best Join , Its the only way the SW MMO community will ever be complete. Drop SOE on it Arse and kick a Field Goal with them.

After TOR goes life , SWG will have no players left.

12. Ranofer Force Ghost

star 1
    I'm willing to give it a go at least for a while. I think I've tried about every main stream MMO on the market now and the only two I currently keep active are LOTRO and STO. (And STO is probably going to be canceled for a while til they get some better high-level content).

I'm interested to see how TOR does, but I'm not holing my breath.
  13. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I used to love SWG to death (before NGE). I'll probably give TOR a try, but I don't see myself staying with it too long. I'm not entirely sure the classes really appeal to me - or, knowing my luck with RPGs, the one I pick is the most underpowered, least played one or something. And the complexity probably goes in the wrong direction - dunno, haven't read up a lot on TOR yet. SWG had its flaws, but it did a lot of things very right in its basic structure. Above all, it had atmosphere. I hope TOR isn't just flashy and/or endless dialogue - BioWare always strikes a very weird balance between the two, imo. And plz don't cater too much to the ADD playerbase *shudder*.

As for the SWGEmu: It's very much playable. The install process is somewhat complicated, but simply reading up a bit solves everything. The staff recently posted another update, which doesn't say much because they've been working on one big thing tha last months, but it makes me remain hopeful. The test server they have is very stable and any live bugs are fairly minor - or simply part of pre-CU SWG. Anyone who quit SWG should go soak in a couple Tatooine sunsets. Just don't go achieve too much, the chars won't last. They don't delete them often anymore, but last time I played around with the Artisan and stopped because all the farming and crafting I did... won't mean anything once the "Object Restructure" rolls around :p
  14. Scummy Jedi Master

star 4
    I stopped playing SWG when they released the combat upgrade but I'm still very excited about The New Republic. I'm not sure if I want to invest my time in a new MMO though. I have an addictive personality.

Scummy
  15. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I think I'll be leaving SWG for TOR... and its a new Star Wars MMORPG, so why not?
  16. Tyrant_Windu Jedi Knight

It active because i got that on my comp as i type just as long you got the jump into i forgot the exp.. the one with space combat,as long you got that one,you can download the game,something like that..lol Anyway ohh i will be joining LA/Bioware new MMO,im still p off about that NGE,all that hard work holocron's grinding to become Jedi then Dark Jedi Knight then next min i lost it???? comon now....:(
  17. YYZ-2112 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm very excited about The Old Republic. I played Star Wars Galaxies for the last five weeks of Beta and up until the NGE was launched. It was definitely a great MMO for what it was trying to be; an open free Star Wars sim. The crafting and harvesting system was hands down the very best that any game before or since ever offered in a crafting system. There could have been some changes to the way venders worked and the restrictions to zoning when it came to placing them in NPC cities, but over all it was still a very good system. In fact, except for the mess that player housing created in terms of ruining the landscape, it was a pretty solid game. I often wonder if SWG was simply released too early and suffered because of that. A better city template system as well as some better housing and vender options could have solved a lot of issues for very little development costs.

The space game was off the hook and the entertainer system was excellent in its' own rite. I surely had a lot of fun running around in that game world and it was really a shame when SOE tried to change the game so drastically. It was really a game that was a patch away from being a masterpiece and yet with each new patch, the game went further and further away from what made it great. I think what really was its' downfall was trying to add content for a themepark style MMO to a sandbox style MMO; SWG was a sandbox at heart.

The Old Republic on the other hand, knows what it wants to be. From the very first day of brainstorming, the goal has been to make a story driven content rich game. It doesn't pretend to be a sandbox. And really, even if the game isn't perfect; the innovations Bioware is bringing to the table make it worth the while. At the very least, these innovations will improve the way MMO's are made. I truly believe every Star Wars fan owes it to themselves to at least give the game a try.

I often consider dropping back into SWG to try and capture some of those old feelings. But I suspect that I'd only be fooling myself; that version of the game and those days are long gone.
  18. SpaceMonkey10 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I haven't played SWG since WoW came out. I agree that SWG had the best crafting, harvesting and player economy ever. However, that wasn't enough to save it from the horrible gameplay. I am looking forward to TOR, hoping it will wash away the bad taste SWG left in my mouth. WoW has been a fun, albeit easy alternative. If Bioware could somehow mix their rich stories with the crafting of SWG and the fun of WoW, it'd be a perfect game.
  19. Gambler Jedi Knight

star 1
    I played Galaxies from BETA to the vehicle expansion and WoW from BETA to last November and needless to say I hope this blows both away. I think because it is STAR WARS it will clearly not live up to expectations, but if it holds my attention as long as WoW or beyond I will be happy to play it.

Hopefully some hands on game time will come at Celebration V and a BETA invite would be nice sometime in December or so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.