main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL swg

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by chrisedi, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisedi

chrisedi Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2004
    just curious, how many of yall play star wars galaxies? i play on valcyn personally, and have been since launch.

2. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    There were quite a few of us at launch, playing on the Gorath server (talk to Thom about the arcane geek reference). I know BroSuess is still going strong building his rep as Bounty Hunter to the stars, but I don't know if anyone else is still playing.

For what it's worth, I was probably going to give it a try again after Jump to Lightspeed (the space expansion for the uninitiated) is released.

3. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    re: the "arcane geek reference"

Gorath was the American title for Yosei Gorasu, a 1962 film by Ishiro Honda (best known for Gojira). The main plot involves a giant planetoid on a collision course with Earth, with various attempts to avert disaster culminating in the construction of giant engines at the South Pole to actually move Earth out of the planetoid's way. There is apparently a scene in the original edition (cut from the American version) in which the engines' heat awakens a giant, prehistoric walrus-monster that wreaks havoc before it's killed. This monster has been the inspiration of much derision from myself, directed at the Gorath server.

Between the last time this subject came up and now, I did a bit of research and learned that "Gorath" is actually the name given to the planetoid; the walrus-monster is named "Magma". So it's not quite as silly a name as before.... :) The monster still looks utterly ridiculous, even by Toho standards; I've seen a picture. *chuckle*

4. Lothos

Lothos Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I will resume playing soon, although I must wait till I have cable internet to do so. I've been gone so long and there are so many updates that my p.o.s 56k connection would explode if i tried to update now...

5. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]As soon as the new house gets net access (who knows when that will be) I will be back on...though I forgot what server. I play more evercrack than anything though.[/color]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.