main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon SWG

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Larena_Jade, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    Will anybody be playing when the free server comes out? I know I will. ;)

It would be fun to make a fanforce guild, haha.

2. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    I foresee a great many problems in a "free server" SWG, as a former player that started near day 1, and suffering through all of the changes up to and including NGE, all I can say is Good Luck and May The Force Be With You, and 10,000 other Jedi.

3. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Well it will be available for many others to start hosting as well. It wont be the same one for all. People will start others and hopefully the scattering will distribute it evenly. But yes, I imagine the original host will be the busiest.

4. Colt1326

Colt1326 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2007
    Actually I play SWG but I have no heard anything about a free server. But I think there is going to be either a catch or something for the free server either that or they are just desperate for more people I don't know. I'll ask around in the game see what they know and get back to you.

5. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    I admit I dont know much about it. But my sweetie knows a whole lot. And I do know that if he doesn't suspect anything wrong with something, their usually isn't.
    From what he told me, these people recreated the game from scratch and are releasing it themselves to anyone who would love to play for free. I dont think they are associated with the NGE.

I'll get him to post some things about it. But right now his computer is in Keizer so...yeah. haha.(silly LANs)

6. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Recreated? copyrighted? lawsuits? lots of money lost? lol Well I just looke don the SWG forums and saw nothing but I made a post over there about it to see the response.

7. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Okay, sorry 100% rumor at least from SOE. If someone did manage to copyright the game I suggest you NOT play it for it will only lead to lawsuits.

8. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    A phone call told me that it's completely okay. Pretty much every MMO has free server versions, there is no legal issues involved in it. And apparently i guess there are going to be a ton of servers. So the only downside is that the players might be spread thin.

9. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Hmm I guess we wait and see but so far SOE has said no. and being that SOE own the game, and if someone else has it... 9 times out of 10 lawsuits happen

10. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Vengie just told me to say this: There are going to be pre-combat upgrade SWG without any bugs and balance issues.
    (don't ask me what that means. I love the game, bt i'm quite the newbie)

Go here to get all the info:

swgemu.com

11. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    They don't support it, but there is nothing really that they can do.

Edit:

Since you can technically play it NOW, if they could they would have done something about it already. It's just not finished yet.

12. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Copyright laws prohibit it. Might not be trouble now but when it's big enough SOE will throw down a lawsuit

13. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    o_O[face_thinking]

Normally, I wouldn't know. And i'd probably accept what your saying. But the person I am getting this from is very smart and trustworthy. He knows his facts.

But i guess there is a time for everyone to be wrong! could be!

14. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    *shrugs*

Guess we wait :p

anyways you can still play trails on the game but you can't reach up to level 26. You should just buy the game it truly is great. And if you do, if you don't already have friends in the game you can join my server and I'll help you out

15. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Well the fact that it requires money pretty much makes me have to forget it. I don't have any money to spend on games right now. Jeeze i've got so much to save up for! Futures are expensive!

And yes, I played that trial right up until level 26 and was crushed! 26?! 26?!?!?! You cant do anything at 26!!! :_|

16. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Alright, so the lowdown goes that when the SWGEmu team was still in the early stages of development, they had a meeting with the devs of SWG. No one's really sure what exactly went on during the whole meeting, but the Emu guys came out after saying that they would be continuing on as planned. This was quite some time ago, and since then they've had their full blown TC server up that you can connect to and test out where they're at (currently I think the big things they're working on are crafting equations and some profession fine tuning) and see SWG like it once was. Most believe if SOE was going to do anything about, they would have done it when the SWGEmu TC server went live. And really, what copyright issues there are don't really matter, because the servers are nothing more than a collection of databases that don't contain any copyrighted material. All the content that could be an issue is client-side, which the players will have rightly paid for (I still have my legal copy of SWG) and the EULA (as far as I remember) does not contain any prohibitive messages to connecting to other servers. Even if it was, by connecting to a different server you wouldn't be presented with SOE's terms that you would have to agree to.

So really, the question shouldn't be is this legal or not, or will SOE come and do their smackdown stuff. I don't think they will, some do. If they do, I'll be a little sad, but I've been SWG-less for a few years now and life goes on. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be really excited while I wait though! What you should be thinking is, when it does happen (if it doesn't get struck down super unexpectedly) whether or not you want to pay $15 a month to play the NGE, or pay nothing (except maybe some $10 donations every so often to do your part and keep the servers up and healthy) to play Pre-CU SWG without a bunch of bugs and issues. Should be an issue of whether you prefer old SWG or new SWG. I for one really dislike the NGE. I loved SWG because of how different from other MMOs it was with the profession tree and point-buy system. It gave you a ridiculous amount of options for fine tuning your character (My favourite days were being a Teras Kasi Master, Master Swordsman, and a little bit of musician/entertainer) to whatever style you wanted to play, and then dropping it a few weeks later to try a different combination out. The NGE is very WoW-esque, and the limitation of the professions really bogs me down (that and the ridiculously low amount of players I ever saw online compared to the glory days. Mining Outpost FTW!)

Another issue I think should be a valid one is that of content. What content will exist on the SWG-Emu servers? Well, it's going to be publish 13, so everything that was added after that won't be there by default, but I believe they are setting up code to ensure the easy addition of any of the new content added to SWG since then (though I could do without Kashyyyk and Mustafar, some of the items were pretty nifty.) They are also working on a terrain editor so servers could conceivably create new planets for the players to explore (I am particularly excited for this, though I plan on playing on the server that the Emu team is going to host themselves and they are going to be sticking to straight SWG gameplay for the most part, excepting balance issues, bugs, and the way jedi work, so no hoth for me.) Oh, and Eric, you won't need to worry about 10,000 Jedi. [face_laugh] Most emu players are those that hated the NGE for just that. A lot want the hologrind back to make it particularly difficult. I wouldn't mind having the village again, as that was a really really good string of quests and such to get people into it, but the hologrind would be alright as well I suppose. (After finally deciding to make my character a Jedi, I was on my last phase when the NGE hit, imagine my angst!) So yeah, won't need to worry about everyone being a Jedi, unless you choose to play on a server where that's just what everyone does because of a blue frog the admins add in or something. But I assure you most

17. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Hmm I'll have to defiantly check this out.

18. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Nothing will bring me back to play.

19. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Well, I take back my words. I did come back to play SWG. I'm still on Intrepid server as Ceric. I'm a smuggler by trade. I'm surprised by all of the "new content" for me because I haven't played since OCT '06. I've only been back a few days playing a few hrs a time, but I like doing the new quests, and talking to a few players that have come back also. What is really cool is the new content of Hoth- Battle of Echo Base which is due to go live soon. You get to fly snowspeeders, fight for your chosen side of Rebel/Imperial, do quests, and loot. All in a new Instance without paying for an expansion.

I might stay for a bit to see how SWG can survive on very little subscribers.

20. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    This is almost inspiring me to come play the game....

- Bill

21. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Well, even as a CL90, I still get my but kicked doing high level missions for credits/XP/loot from time to time. All of these "new content" quests are meant to keep you busy, long hours of dedicated playing. Buy hey, you are your own character in the SW Universe, not Luke, Han, Chewie, Vader, Starkiller.

Yes Bill, you could actually be AramysStrael, Imperial Tie Pilot... It's the "grinding" for Levels, skills, and acquiring credits that takes so long, but it's the feeling of accomplishment that is rewarding.

Anyone else playing Galaxies? Chime in.

22. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Aramys Strael is my Rebel persona..... Koba Kull is the pilot. It's that Tavrik Gannon character that you got to look out for, he's a dangerous sort! (except for when he falls on the ice, landing on his posterior region in front of 11,733 witnesses)

Maybe I will look into getting into it. I have a basic understanding of how to play due to some exposure I got when other friends were playing it, or from that 30-Day free trial of WoW that I took part in.

Hmmmmmm....

- Bill

23. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Hey Bill. Go try out the SWG 14day trial. I'm playing on Intrepid Server, Ayn and Bill play as their Wookiees there. It would be cool hang out with my good friend in our favorite galaxy.

-Eric
    Ceric Halcyon
    Smuggler
    5 yr Vet
    Intrepid Server

24. SigmaRue

SigmaRue Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2008
    I did the SWG free trial thing... Twi'lek, as per usual. Kin Creeda, bounty hunter. I liked it... sort of. It's hard coming off games like WoW and FFXI to graphics like SWG's. They just hurt my eyes. Not to mention there was no one on my server. I'm just not sure if I want to give it another go. I love the premise, but I feel like the execution was just blah.

25. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    SWG is 5 years old live, plus a few more in R&D time. It's based off of the EQ engine, so of course the graphics, interface, bells and whistles are not going to be as flashy as the newer graphics of WoW or FFXI. So comparing SWG to other MMORPGs is moot. Most of SWG's player base went over to WoW so the server pop went down from the 250K plus that SWG once had.

As consumers, we should know that once a new FOTM (Flavor of the Month) comes out, of course people are going to try it. It is up to the Game developers, DEVS, CSRs, and the community of players to keep these MMORPGS around, otherwise, from SWG's standpoint those things fell apart.

I came back after 1.5 yrs of not playing at all, just to see how the game has continued. In my recent travels in game, I have found quite a few more vets have come back as well. There are lots of new quests, instances, & rewards making the game really playable & enjoyable in our favorite GFFA.

What makes SWG enjoyable to me is that I get to be whoever I wish with my own play style. I'm not construed to being that character and that's it. I can change to be something else.

What we can look forward to playing is SWOR MMORPG in a few years. Hopefully Bioware will learn from the mistakes of SWG and have a great Star Wars game, but I'll play SWG until then.

-Eric
    Ceric Halcyon-Smuggler
    5yr Vet
    Intrepid Server

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.