main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [SWIMMING!] hey, guys, remember when Phelps won all those medals last summer? And the sport?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Coruscant, Jul 27, 2009.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    He's the same age as Lochte.

Anyway he won another event tonight. :p

2. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The only male WR that lasted through the supersuit era, the 1500 freestyle, has just been broken by Sun Yang of China. The last vestige of Australia's 'hero' swimmers of that era is gone. :(

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    The moment you become a mod, you reopen and up this thread. Marcus for Head Admin. [face_flag]

Michael Phelps skated by in this meet on his built-in confidence and talent. Ryan Lochte is talented, but less so than Phelps. Hard work- working much harder than the now notoriously lethargic and unmotivated Phelps- gave Lochte the edge in the 200 free, and in the 200 IM, the first world record since Rome. And Lochte is a year older than Phelps. That's amazing when you consider that both are now what would've once been considered "old men" in the sport.

Magnussen is one to watch. 47.49... simply nuts. Torpedoes, missiles... what's next, Aussies? Warheads?

4. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I was really hoping for an opportunity to bump this thread with some celebrations for the 4x100 medley relay when Magnussen was mowing down the American...unfortunately Phelps was just too good for Huegill in the fly. Lead was too much.

Exciting stuff though. I hope our guys will be peaking for London, there are some OK signs here.

5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    That American was Nathan Adrian. It seems he wasn't on top of his game for this meet, unfortunately. Hopefully, he'll be ready next year.

6. mrc681

mrc681 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2011
    I don't keep up with swimming as much as I'd like, but recently I stumbled upon the NBC Sports channel that shows it quite often. Having not seen much of Phelps or Lochte outside of the Olympics, I was curious to know, does Phelps always appear as withdrawn as he did during the WC? It was like he was just going through motions as he lost to Lochte. I've never been the best at something so I don't know what kind of drive it takes to stay on top, but I thought he came out strong and then faded, in previous races I've watched he usually doesn't start strong but finishes in a flash. I'm probably jumping the gun and it's just him getting back in to form, but I'm so used to watching him win, that seeing him not win, was just surreal. Thoughts?

7. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Phelps just hasn't trained as much as other swimmers since Beijing, notably Lochte. He took a big break in the fall of '08 and came back intermittently in early 2009. Even then, he took 5 golds at Rome in '09 because of the kind of conditioning he had reached for Beijing. And because of his sheer talent, of course. Since Rome, it's been on again/off again. He clearly hasn't put in as much time as a guy like Lochte in the past three years. That can change over the next year, though. After being the winningest Olympian ever, Phelps may have lost a lot of his motivation, but hopefully he still has enough fire to give us all one last great show in London.

8. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    lol @ Kenrick Monk :p