main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWMA - What happened?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Aharic, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aharic

Aharic Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Hello...
    Is a long time that I can't find news from SWMA. The main site is dead, and now also the mirrors. Somebody knew what is happenede to it? Some problem with copyright or similar? Hello to everybody
    May the Force be with you
    Aharic

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    The site died years ago... and you're just now noticing?

Everything on it is severely outdated, anyway.. utter crap compared to what we have nowadays. If you really want it, some of it can be located at the Imperial 3D Archives (do a Google), but don't expect anything amazing.

3. blazer003

blazer003 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2004
    Yes, looking back I had fond memories of that site, but nothing compares to the quality on SciFi3d.

4. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    Besides, everything they had there was modelled at a much higher wuality and posted on Sci-Fi 3D.

All the short fan-movies- we have better ones on TFN FanFilms.

All the tutorials- Go to 3DTotal and get software specific tutorials on how to make your 3D look more professional. 3DLuvr also has some good ones.

All the textures- were pretty much from 3DCafe anyway

All the references- can be found by googling for a while, or tearing apart the wolfpak sci-fi website.

All the links- are pretty much of dead sites now anyway.

The forum- was doomed to die before it got its first member

The gallery- is more than topped here

See, I remember SWMA fondly as well, but there's much better stuff out there. I think there may have been only one or two models on that web site that could have become Sci-Fi 3D par. And that would have still required quite a bit of tweaking and retexturing.

At the time it was pretty cool, yes, but it's dead now. I don't think it has the foggiest chance of ever re-emerging at this point.

My suggestion is to either stick around here or another sci-fi mesh site, or to try to create a reformed SWMA so people will stop asking what happened to it.

I guess I'm doing the opposite of helping though.

\__Will__/

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    The legend lives on I guess. Maybe sometimes people just hear of it and have no idea what it was. But you pretty much said it ALL. There's really no reason to look for it any more. Sometimes I thought there were some good low-rez stuff here and there that we don't have. But it's nothing that somebody coudn't make in an hour or two. It was fun while it lasted.

SCIFI 3D mainly is around b/c of SWMA. The interest in SWMA spurred the growth of SF3D. But I could never get Jose to work with any other formats. He insisted on 3DS only. And he was on the out with TFN b/c they had been hosting his files for years and they wanted some credit for it, which they never got. So that's right about the time they started hopping from one host to another. Then they died altogether. So I guess it was mis-managed to some degree.

6. Silver_Bullit

Silver_Bullit Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2005
    I too remember the days od SWMA. That was back in the day of Wolfpack and Scifi Art. From what I've seen the work is way better these days here and at SFM.

But I have to tell ya- don't know the 3DS format of old. There are still many of us Truespace users out there who rely on the pre-Max 3DS format. Yes, the models were low poly, but we could use the models in TS without any headaches.

While converters like 3D Exploration do a swell job of converting geometry, textures don't fare so well. Quite simply, TS doesn't have any idea what to do with spec maps, diffusion maps, etc.

For just farting around, I long for the day of Jose's old 3DS SW site. Life is easier that way for us non-Lightwave and non-Max users.

SB

7. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    click

Hmm, i have an idea.. i could buy swma.net get the graphics, and start it back up

8. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Uh.... read again my last comment you will... yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.