main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sword Fighting in the SW Universe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Katana_Geldar, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    linky

Ex, I think I have the book for you ;)

This sure looks interesting, too bad it's independent as I'd love to get my hands on one. Anyone who's going to Comic Con here?

How much of the EU do you think will be in here? Like Vaapad for instance

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Doesn't really interest me, sorry. What made you think it would? I don't like seeing saber fights in books, actually. It's just wacking. Too much description makes my pentium fizzy and slows down the action. Anyone can wack blades; as mages, I want to see interesting applications of magery.

Strange, though. Transfered to my new comp, I think Jedi Outcast is lettimg me multiplayer, something it couldn't do before. Have to look back on that later.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Looks interesting, but I already know sword fighting in real life and know what styles were used in the films.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Rums, I cannot reconcile the image of you swordfighting with your near-Mr T look. It just . . . can't work. :p

5. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    lol

Do you sword fight Ex?

6. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Your sarcsasm meter must be faulty, Ex ;)

Oh, and you should know better than to get Vista right now

Descrption of 'saber fighting in books depends much on the author, some are good at it, some are meh

7. leia7

leia7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2007
    Agreed.

I will always remember Jacen Solo in one of the LOTF books saying "I inverted into a backwards spin with my lightsaber"

I read that sentence and said to myself you did WHAT?

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Maybe he wasn't talking about the glowing stick he carries ;)

Shatterpoint (another of Ex's fave books ;)) was good for saber combat

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I loved Obi Wan's drunken style in LOE.

10. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    Great moments! Two me, sword fighting in SW is kind of a double-edged sword (pun intended). Before the prequels, I always associated lightsaber combat with force abilities. Now, there is a clear distinction between the two. Kreia summed it up well when she said (on lightsaber forms) "It is good to know them, but not rely on them." Falling into the Force should be the most effective way to do battle, which sometimes means you DON'T fight at all...

I practice Tang Soo Do martial arts and we have a few sword forms with the korean sword. It's not as in-depth as I'd like though, so it would be nice if this book dives into details of sword fighting. Swords are my first love, after all....Lightsabers were what got me into SW in the first place when I was about 6

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'll bite. It was my interest in all things martial arts and swordplay back in the early 90s that really got me into Star Wars. Which is largely why I ever read TTT and JAT back then.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting the day when Shrfu decides to instruct me in straight sword and saber forms for the styles I'm learning from him.

12. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I didn't know that there were swordsman chilling in the lit forums. I knew about the ones in the yjcc forum, but not in here.

13. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    Yeah...well, I prefer escrima. Wish I knew more about swords

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Cool, I always wanted to learn escrima..

I know bits and pieces of a several martial arts, along with some random stuff I made up, but as far as swords go I know kendo well along with some iaido and fencing(foil, epee, and sabre.) I prefer sabre out of the fencing forms, but kendo I love the best.

15. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    Sweet...I don't know any of that stuff and wouldn't know where to begin

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I have always wanted to learn sword fighting, though there is a medieval club near me (not SCA)

17. ixoyefreak

ixoyefreak Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Jayskywalker01. where do you take tang soo do and escrima? I live in FL, and take tang soo do, escrima, and jujitsu. Didn't know there were that many sword/martial artist on here. I wanted to have a martial arts/weapon chat forum. Do ya'll know about one?

18. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    I don't know of a forum other than general martial arts ones around there but i can't say I frequent those. This is the only forum I take time for haha. I take TSD at North Alabama TSD in...North AL (shock!) one of my masters there is also an escrima enthusiast and has taught many classes on the subject over my past three years in the dojang. I want to expand my knowledge of it with some books though.

Maris Brood in TFU pictures appears with some tonfa style lightsabers that remind me of esrima sticks a bit. You could say that two shoto lightsabers were like escrima, except they cut. I'm sure many of the moves would be the same though.

I hope this book sheds some more detail on the actual mechanics of Jedi sword fighting and what is the force and just what is martial prowess.

19. ixoyefreak

ixoyefreak Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    North AL, haha cool cool. The shoto can be used the exact same way as the escrima stick, so can the knife or empty hand. Its a very versitile art. Have you seen the Bourne Identity and the other 2? He uses Arnis which is the same as Escrima. But he does it empty handed. Her sticks are like police batons, there are wooden ones also. When we do arnis/escrima we practice with the sticks, then knife, then shoto, then sometimes a water bottle. Because you won't alwyas have a stick or knife. A clip board and flip flop are very usefull also. Just experiment, you will be suprised. But it just shows you diffrent ways and diffrent options for situations.

20. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    We've also practiced with rolled up magazines and newspapers. The flip flop is a great idea! i will suggest that. I wonder if Jedi ever practice with their hilts as sticks? Maul would have a great one on hand.

21. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    awesome.

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

No, don't sword fight, Runsmuggler. Like the Doctor, I fight with words. Was always interested in the foil, but it's real swording; they look ridiculous too.

Katana, what's wrong with Vista? It's not like you can choose systems and programs when you buy a tower. Shatterpoint was not one of my favourites. Vapaad gives you Matrix-speed to punch six times in a second?---maybe, big maybe. But to swing a saber as many times in that time . . . not realisitic. No. Yeah yes, it's sci fi and just enjoy the read; but even magical force speed rapes realism that way. Only so many ways you can swing or stab a blade, and your arms must move it too.

But it's not a topic I'd argue over or care about. Still, the book is "independently" published, what does that mean? I've seen books like thgat over at Amazon. Religion-star wars type books and other esoteric themes. You can do that?

23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Jedi aren't supposed to be realistic, imo. When they tap into the force, they( the powerful ones at least) are capable of things that warp realism and turn it on its head. I have no problem with realism, but leave that to the weaker Jedi and non force users.

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Katana, what's wrong with Vista? It's not like you can choose systems and programs when you buy a tower.

You can ask to get XP when you buy your computer, saying you prefer to wait until the OS has settled in the market and several new versions have come out to patch all the bad errors and bugs. I thought everyone knew that.

And I remember telling you this about Shatterpoint, Ex, it's the Force. This sort of thing is even talked about in the films.

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I just find it hard to reconcile physical muscle movement having to bend and flex so FAST as to land even several saber swings a second. Katarn had the F3 button in Jedi Outcast--and when I was stupid enough to lure 6 Reborn into a single courtyard did I move fast, for the half minute the louts permitted me. But that's the question I'm posing: where iks the balance between realism on physical combat, and writing "the force moved him faster" on a page?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.