main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sword Fighting

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Ristaron, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristaron

Ristaron Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2004
    I have recently come to know that there is more than one style of Jedi Lightsaber Fighting, more than the three included in Jedi Outcast (a marvelous game, btw).
    I was wondering just how many there were, and also which one was reputed the best.

I watch lots of Highlander (quite possibly one of the finest things ever concieved), and have been in love with sword fighting since I first did fencing years ago.
    I still do a few times every year, and kick some major ass I might add :D

*begins expertly swinging his sword in beautiful round patterns, including moving it from hand to hand as he does the patterns while rotating it around his body, but as he was about to do a cool move it comes out of his hand.
    He stomps off angrily.*

2. unknownjedi

unknownjedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2004
    ah... i got this of of the dewbackwing and its from a star wars insider (i think)well here it is (i found it rather interesting)

The Seven Forms of Lightsaber Combat - David West Reynolds

Since the dawn of Jedi history, seven fighting disciplines have arisen, known as the
    Seven Forms. The Forms represent differing styles and philosophies of combat. Each
    Form has its respective merits, and as seen in Attack of the Clones, all of them are still in
    use.

Form I (Basic Training)
    Millennia before the Clone Wars, advanced technology replaced metal swords with
    energy-beam lightsabers. In this transition the first Form was born. Jedi Masters created
    Form I from ancient sword-fighting traditions, since the principles of blade combat
    remained much the same. The basics of attack, parry, body target zones, and the practice
    drills called velocities are all here.

Young Jedi still begin their training by learning Form I.

Form II (Precision Dueling)
    The ultimate refinement of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat became Form II, advancing
    the precision of blade manipulation to its finest possible degree and producing the
    greatest dueling masters the galaxy has ever seen.
    Today Form II is an archaism studied by almost no one in the Jedi Order, because it is not
    relevant to current tactical situations, in which Jedi enemies rarely fight with lightsabers.
    Even with the resurgence of the Sith, confrontation of an enemy with a lightsaber is an
    exceedingly rare prospect for a Jedi, so they continue to focus on more practical Forms.
    Sith expecting to battle lightsaber-wielding Jedi, however, find Form II a powerful
    technique.

Form II is the chosen discipline of the machiavellian Separatist Count Dooku, who
    wields it to devastating effect. His utterly precise moves overwhelm Jedi who are not
    accustomed to the special requirements of lightsaber dueling. With Form II, Dooku holds
    his own even against Master Yoda.
    Acknowledged practitioners: Count Dooku

Form III (Impenetrable Defense)
    The third great lightsaber discipline was first developed in response to the advancement
    of blaster technology in the galaxy. As these weapons spread widely into the hands of
    evil-doers, Jedi had to develop unique means of defending themselves. Form III thus
    arose from "laserblast" deflection training. Over the centuries it has transcended this
    origin to become a highly refined expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy. Form III
    maximizes defensive protection in a style characterized by tight, efficient movements
    that expose minimal target area compared to the relatively open style of some of the
    other Forms.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi takes up a dedication to Form III after the death of Qui-Gon Jinn (who
    favored Form IV), since it was apparent to Kenobi that Jinn's defense was insufficient
    against the Sith techniques of Darth Maul. True Form III masters are considered
    invincible. Even in his elder years, Kenobi remains a formidable Form III practitioner.

Even the extraordinarily deadly Jango Fett is unable to penetrate Obi-Wan Kenobi's
    superb lightsaber defenses.
    Acknowledged practitioners: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Form IV (Force-assisted Acrobatics)
    Form IV is the most acrobatic Form, heavily emphasizing Jedi abilities to run, jump, and
    spin in phenomenal ways by using the Force. Masters of Form IV incorporate all of the
    ways in which the Force helps them go beyond what is physically possible. Their
    lightsaber combat is astonishing to watch, filled with elaborate moves in the center of
    which a Jedi may be all but a blur. Yoda, with his deep emphasis on the Force in all
    things, is a Form IV master. Form IV was also the chosen discipline of Qui-Gon Jinn and
    the early choice of his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Ordinarily Yoda walks with a slight limp, his ancient body wracked with arthritis and the
    normal infirmities of old age. In combat however, the diminutive Jedi Master presents
    extraordinary strength and reflexes - entirely the result of focusing the Force through his
    physical body and not just his spirit as is his u

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    While I think this is a fascinating discussion, it really doesn't belong in the C&P forum.
    Star Wars Community might be a better place for this one.
    Sorry guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.