main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Sword/Lightsaber combat group/class

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by the_black_smudge, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Greetings all! As those of you who I met at the meeting know, I am interested in organizing a lightsaber/sword combat class/group. Some of us discussed starting things out this Sunday (the 19th). So to that end, here's what i propose: Let us meet up at my house starting around 2 or 3 and going until we run out of energy or light etc.

My address is 226 E.Astor Dr 99208 I'm like half a block (if that) from the Lowe's that Alfredo works at on N. Division.
    My home phone # is 487- 1917

Please know what while I am spearheading this, I don't want to give the impression that I'm the greatest swordsman in the 'verse or that I'm trying to lord it over anyone, I'm simply offering my experience from the OCSWS lightsaber group to my new "family". My goal with this is to have fun, start working on some techniques that we can use in demonstrations at events and cons and most importantly, give us all a chance to beat on our friends with sticks!

No experience or formal training is needed for this, just a willingness to have fun and be safe. You will also need closed toe shoes, comfortable clothing that you can move freely in and some sort of gloves. leather, thick fabric, padded or not is up to you.

I will be free pretty much all weekend if sunday evening does not work for anyone, please feel free to give me a call anytime after noon or so.

I hope to see everyone on Sunday and at future events and meetings!

2. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    First of all...
    3:45 am? What in the world?!?

Second:
    I am sorry that I had to leave before you showed up, but it was nice to meet Sabrina.

Third:
    Combat training yay! That would be fantastic. Are you talking about this being an every sunday thing? Or just this sunday to start then see how it goes?

I don't think I will be there this sunday, but it's nice to know that you are willing to do other times.

Yay!

3. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    First, #:45 am is because I got home from the meeting at around 2:30 am and realized that I still had a glucometer in my pocket from work and that it had to be returned immediately and I really wanted to get this message posted asap so I did and then went to bed.
    Second, I too am sorry that we didn't get a chance to meet yesterday.
    third, I am absolutely willing to do this on a regular basis, provided that there is interest!

Regarding the weapons, I have several combat ready sabers or blades for sabers that I can loan out as needed. If anyone has an EL saber (like a Parks for example) I have a couple of practice blades that will work in them so as to avoid any possible damage to the EL blades during practice. Shinai (bamboo Kendo sticks) also work very well for saber practice. I have a few of those to loan out as well. However, depending on how many of us get into this, we will need additional equipment. If anyone is interested in a light up saber that is fightable go here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/ or PM me for more info. high quality but affordable shinai can be found here:
    http://www.e-bogu.com/Complete_Kendo_Shinai_with_leather_parts_Size_39_p/hay-ken-shi-hqcomp-39.htm (this is the model that I reccomend, there are many other sizes and such on that site. PM me with questions)
    Shinai can also be found at most knife stores, I know the one at Northtown mall and I think Valley mall as well has them. They don't seem quite as high quality but would probably do ok.
    I DO NOT reccomend Master Replicas sabers for this kind of combat, they will break. You can get them converted to Luxeon (which will make them fightable) at Custom Saber Shop or Ultrasabers but it's a bit pricey.
    If anyone has a saber that they are unsure about, bring it down and I'll give my opinion on it.

Also, even if you have no lightsaber nor plan to do a Jedi type costume, feel free to come down for this, it's great fun even if it never goes beyond these sessions.

Please feel free to contact me with any and all questions, from weapons to safety to "who the hell do you think you are?"

4. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Unforthunatel given the rain today, we're having to cancel this for now. Rain is rather detrimental to both the shinai as well as the electronic sabers.
    However, I do plan to be at the BBQ on Sat, and will bring my gear then, as well as this next Sunday if anyone is interested.

5. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I look forward to this as well, though we could not make it this weekend. However, after talking with Erich we decided that part of the Picnic at the park will be combat training, so if you are interested please bring or wear appropriate clothing and we will make sure to have the swords.
    I look forward to this because sword fighting is fun :D
    For those of you who do not know, I have worked with Steve on sword fighting and know the basics of Eastern and Western sword play. I also have martial arts training. I hope that anyone else who has combat knowledge will come out and share and we can all learn together.

6. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    When I first read this I thought you had had a convo with yourself. Then I realized that the_black_smudge's name is Erik. :p

This sounds like a blast. You all will have to recap the best fights for me so I can pretend I was there :p

7. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Doh! :oops: I cannot believe I spelt Erik's name like mine. Sorry

8. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Meh, it happens, no worries

9. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Our first training session at the BBQ was a resounding success, I hope that I am not too bold in saying that a great time was had by all. I will be scheduling other sessions very soon, they will have to be on the weekends due to my work schedule. I will endeavor to find times and locations that will suit everyone.

On that note, I am available tomorrow, if anyone is interested in getting in some practice. Please post here or give me a call (see my # above)!

10. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    I'm thinking to try for a weekly or bi weekly training session on the weekends. However, as I'm still new to the group and area I would like some feedback on where is most fair for everyone. Also would Saturday or Sunday work best? Perhaps rotating days would be best. In any case Input would be most appreciated.

I am also working on ideas for toy sabers for the younglings that they could whack away with without fear of injury or breakage. On that note, how many younglings do we have in the group? I met Cheeser's kids on Saturday does anyone else have kiddos?

11. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    What size were the gloves that I borrowed? I am glove shopping...

12. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    I believe they were medium. They came from www.ravenswoodleather.com

13. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Allrighty then folks, the weekend is upon us. So I will be hosting saber training at my place unless someone has a better idea. I will be available Saturday afternoon and Sunday as well. However I would like to have an idea if anyone is able to make it so please post here if you are available and when. Also, I do have a few errands I need to run this weekend so please call first before you head over. I will do my very best to accomidate as many people's schedules as possible.

14. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    I am working for all the relevent time periods that comprise Saturday & Sunday.....

:(

15. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Ok, so Smudge is a "tard and forgot that this weekend is Pig out in the Park. As we are new to Spokane I thought it'd be cool to see what it's all about. So, unless we have a lot of people interested in saber training on Sat, I'll push it off until Sunday.

As I stated, if anyone is interested in saber training this weekend, PLEASE CONTACT ME!

I need feedback here people! (Alfredo, thanks for the response and I'm sorry you can't make it!)

16. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Allrighty folks, I will be hosting saber training at my house tomorrow for all interested parties. I will be available from noon until it is too dark to safely fight, (probably 7-7:30) If anyone is interested, please call me or post here. I am most willing and eager to do this but have better things to do than sit at home if nobody else is available. So keep an eye on the boards, I will post if I call it off due to lack of interest.

17. DarthCarcinus

DarthCarcinus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2006
    Hi every one. My name is Mark AKA Darth Carcinus, A Master of the Orange County Saber Academy. I am quite envious of all of you to have Smudge up there with you. He is the consummate swordsman, and is perhaps one of the most prolific trainers I have ever had the opportunity to cross blades with. Take good care of him up there. Good luck and God speed Master Smudge.

*******Lord Carcinus***********

18. Darthchromer

Darthchromer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2007
    I would be interested in going to your next session. I have a son, 5 years old. We are always fighting sabers and pirate swords. I would like to bring him if there will be other kids there. Plus we have about 4 or five of those expanable saber swords I could bring if anyone needs one.

19. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    A lot of what I teach is a bit too advanced for a younger child. In CA, we had a minimum age of 14 to participate with the adults. However I can quite easily do a modified version for the younglings using the toy sabers or we could build some homemade foam ones. I am generally open on the weekends so please give me a call or post here when you are available and we will meet up. I am quite willing to do this one on one if needs be!

*bows* Master Carcinus, it is good to hear from you! you are too generous with your praise!

20. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    This seems to be the best thread to mention that I have seen the FX Yoda Lightsaber at the Valley Toys R Us. ($119). I wont be getting it, but hopefully this mean they have figured out how to minaturize the electronics enough that I can finally get a Dooku saber eventually.

21. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Dooku? That would be nice to see and handle.
    Foam sabers are fun to construct and take more abuse than the plastic ones with minimal potential for injury. I say minimal because adults can still injure each other with them, and children seemed rather talented at injuring themselves despite all precautions.
    [image=http://www.babyblues.com/IMAGES/1999/990425s.gif]

22. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Unfortunately with Master Replicas not renewing the Star Wars licence it seems very doubtful that we will see any new Force FX designs

23. Darthchromer

Jun 6, 2007
    Hi Erik, good talking to you yesterday. I will hook up with you this weekend and my friend wants to come over too. I am waiting to hear from him today when he can make it, then call and confirm with you. I will post the meet up time if anyone else wants to join us.[face_peace]

24. Abba_Suna_Delnara

Abba_Suna_Delnara Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2007
    This saturday that be tomorrow? What time and place would be great. Destroyer sam and the Cheeser really had a good time at the picnic learning. So much in fact we were just about going to pay for Kendo lessons but decided to take the smudge up on his lessons instead:) I think we are free for a time this saturday or sunday which ever it is. So let us know asap that would be sweet! Thanks smudge for the willingness of sharing your mastery skill with the Saber!

25. Darthchromer

Jun 6, 2007
    I was thinking Sunday sometime I am open most of the day, will that work for everyone. It would be at Eriks house I believe? What do you think Erik??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.