main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Woo! New post-FOTJ series!

Jaina! Main star!

2. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I was going to be the one to start this thread on the new boards....
    Darn you, Todd! :p

imiller likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Fine, you can do Crucible.

4. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh, I'll take the next one. :p

Force Smuggler and CooperTFN like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I expect you to be the first one to start that Ben Skywalker novel/duology/trilogy thread then A Tool

A Tool likes this.
  6. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    If anyone did it before me there'd be hell to pay.... :mad::p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. I would have tagged you but it didn't work. Oh well.

8. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Again, I am here to save the day...er, I mean, express my reservations about quality of writing but hope that fan passion and editorial concern will push this project into well-deserved success and really awesome reading experiences!

A Tool likes this.
  9. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Can someone post some more detailed information or a link to thereof?

10. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    SO EXCITED.

I've only started FOTJ so I lack a really informed opinion but I deny any possibility that the writing will be subpar. DO NOT PROVIDE ME WITH EVIDENCE, I WILL DENY IT, IT'S ALL A TRICK TO TEST ME.

If this book isn't wildly successful I shall cry.

(Yes, please send tissues in advance, I'm likely to need them.)

Master_Keralys likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    All we know is in the original post. Except that it will be a trilogy, not just one novel.

12. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I love the idea. I'm a big Jaina fan. If it isn't mired down by politics, I don't see how Golden can go wrong...I hope.

13. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Speculation time!

I think the supporting characters are going to make or break this. Since it's about Jaina we know we will get Jag, but who else?

Likely some Remnant stuff so:
    • Vitor Reige for sure
    • Drikl Lecersen (maybe)
    • Daala (oh god no)
    And I guess Jaina's friends could be involved...
    • Zekk / Taryn Zel
    • Lowbacca
    • Does she have any other friends? Left alive, that is.
    Something tells me that the Hapans won't be a factor. That seems like something Denning would handle. I hope we get some development of the Jedi introduced in FoTJ. Jaina leading a taskforce of Jedi in hunting down the Sith seems like the most obvious plot, so lots of potential for development if handled right.

A Tool likes this.
  14. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    The "Sword of the Jedi" could just be the title because it's recognisable and sounds significant. But I'm thinking maybe it implies the direction they're taking her in. I'm hoping it means that taking out Jacen wasn't the extent of that prophecy. Leading a task force and hunting down Sith would be an obvious option, but the fact the trilogy is named after her prophetic title makes me wonder if there won't be something more...mythic/significant about whatever challenge she faces than simply proactive Sith-hunting?

15. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hoping the Horn siblings, they did get a part with Jaina in Apocalypse.

16. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Here's my report from the panel. They didn't really give out a ton of detail... Didn't really need to. People were really excited about it regardless.

I'm guessing no more than a passing mention of the Hapans, in either this or Crucible. After all, it stands to reason that Tenel Ka and Allana will get a book of their own at some point...

As for folks hesitant about Golden writing SOTJ, look at it this way: At least it means she's not writing about Ben for a while.

17. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    Maybe Jaina will become pregnant in this trilogy now that's she is married and the biological clock is ticking. I think she was in early 30s at the end of FOTJ.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mara had Ben when she was 45.

People on our planet have kids in their 50's or even 60's, GFFA medicine is probably even better.

I just hope she has twin boys, so there's suspense on which one will become Emperor Fel II.

19. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    The number of people who conceive naturally with their first child at over 45 is incredibly tiny. That hasn't changed.

20. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    1) Two Jedi Masters

2) The Force

3) Vergere's tears

4) Because NJO needed hope

5) because Mara is that Awesome

6) because Luke is that Awesome

7) because Science. And Bacta. And Science!

8) Reasons?

9) ...?

10) PROFIT! Er, PREGNANCY!

But actually, I would love for writers to handle a Jedi with children a bit better than Leia or Mara. Don't think it's going to happen, though, given Jaina's role.

lukemaraben likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We're talking about a futuristic society with hyperspace, lightsabers, and the Force ;)

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Personally, I would still love for a Skywalker to have a non-Force sensitive child. If I had had my way, Luke and Mara would have had a son and a daughter, one super special and one blind to the Force. Sure, melodrama abound, but I certainly feel it would be an interesting counterpoint to the "the Force is hereditary" trend we tend to see. Plus it would be interesting to see Luke's characterization throughout; I still remember that he was vividly disappointed that Leia decided not to pursue Jedi training in the JAT. Might've been interesting to see conflicting love for his child and, perhaps, disappointment.

In other words, I'd be interested if Jaina's child were to turn out to be a common folk. I actually really enjoyed the hint that this was what happened with Revan, who was of course the "Skywalker" of his time. It's also equally possible his son simply chose a life of politics, though both options carry similar connotations.

Space sperm is fundamentally superior to Earth sperm.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yes, yes, yes!

And then one can fall to the dark side in the contest to prove who is more worthy to succeed the throne!!! :p

24. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Cautiously optimistic. Golden on her own will almost certainly be much better than Golden as part of a three-author rotation.

Also, and this is the really noteworthy thing, that's actually some good promo art. I hope it ends up being the actual cover.

25. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    A non-Force sensitive child would rock. Legacy of the Nonforce, finally. Force-insensitive (heh) twins might be even better...

Now I'm excited for this all over again. Less for the writing, which I don't know anything about other than what I've read on the temp boards, than for the decisions... but then I've always read EU books more for the continuity bits than for the story :-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.