main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea they aren't related at all.

2. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Is Golden really that bad that people aren't looking forward to this?

I dunno, I found her Starcraft novels to be pretty good.

3. Marc McAllister

Marc McAllister Jedi Padawan

Mar 14, 2013
    Jaina is spanish slang for a girl. Like chick. There would never be a Guy Skywalker or Dude Skywalker.

4. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Pshh whatever, haters.

This series will be awesome

5. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    . . . if it doesn't get cancelled

6. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    What a bunch of negative, pessimistic people. Lighten up guys!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    You're crazy! Zenzaflax Solo is the next big thing. Just you wait.

Yes. Calling her Fate of the Jedi novels awful is an insult to awful.

Either it's more difficult than we imagine to sign new authors into a universe with forty-five years of EU baggage, or the Del Rey/LFL people simply aren't willing to take risks and get new blood. They keep getting the same authors to do the same things, regardless of the quality of their previous work (even Traviss was originally supposed to do FOTJ). Apparently they've never heard of that baseball metaphor involving three failed attempts at something. If the EU gets to keep going post-SOTJ despite the whole Disney thing, expect it to all be by Denning and Golden.

8. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    What. Da. Fork.

I did not know this. That would have been ridiculous.
    Would have been even worse than Golden, that's for sure.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ironically, I actually think Traviss might have done a decent job for a change as there was enough shoehorning of Mandalorian subplots into FOTJ anyway, so unlike LOTF her penchant for side quests wouldn't have been much different when half of FOTJ was just made up of side quests anyway.

Manisphere likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Omen would have been longer, at least, but Golden suffers because they clearly lifted two chapters to do as short-stories. I really think she's been short-changed by LFL. Mauling Omen, not editing someone who doesn't have as much experience with SW as Allston and Denning... her Sith scenes in all three books were JJM quality, in that they referenced what made the Tribe different.

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Yeah, Golden was by far at her best when writing the Lost Tribe. Some of the established characters... not so much.

12. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I thought JJM did a great job as well with the Lost Tribe.

13. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I think the fact that there were Mandalorian plots in FOTJ would have mande it even worse for her, because her depiction of Mandalorian/Jedi characters events would have been so vastly different from Denning's.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 got into some kind of fight :p
    It was funny how in Invincible Denning went out of his way to make a whole lot of Mandalorians get killed and pwned by Caedus, almost as if to make up for them being played up so much in Traviss' books

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I actually don't think I'd have minded them being made to feel powerful as much in FOTJ, as it would have fit the storyline when they were besieging the Jedi Temple. Sure, in LOTF it was ridiculous how easily they pwned Caedus, and just distracted from the main story, but in some of the FOTJ books Mandalorians pwning Jedi was sorta the idea, so Traviss wouldn't have been doing much different to what happened anyway.

15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I don't remember much of Mandalorians actually powning jedi though?
    Except for that Girl being shot in the head all of a sudden

16. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Well there was that whole time that a Mandalorian had Caedus dead to rights and Boba Fett was all, "No, no, let Jaina take him down, she deserves it." So like, you know, the whole confrontation between Jaina and Jacen in Invincible pretty much happened on Mando sufferance. It was cute to let Jaina have her day to shine, and all. I'm sure I remember Mirta suddenly being able to beat Jedi reaction time for no real reason either, mainly I remember this because I think the book hung a lantern on it by saying something like, "she shouldn't have been able to beat Jedi reaction time," but then didn't give any reason why she could (like distraction, combat drugs, whatever). Oh, and Jaina getting the crud kicked out of her in training sessions and Boba getting the drop on her because she struggled to sense their intentions in the Force and wasn't used to having to deal with armour that could repel lightsabers. If only she'd had extensive experience with an enemy with lightsaber-repelling armour and no Force-sense before...

(Again, largely weird because, if memory serves, the Mandalorians kept reminding Jaina about the events of the Vong war, so like, I wasn't trying to be pedantic or think years into the past, the book was literally going YUUZHAN VONG! REMEMBER THEM? Awww, Jaina, too bad you suck at fighting armoured Force-invisibles...)

...I should stop before I derail the thread.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  17. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I thought they gave the Jedi a run for their money :p

18. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah i was talking about FOTJ

don't remind me about Mandalorian parts of the Travis LOTF books . . . :rolleyes:

19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Disney can't cancel these books because LFL is still giving Del Rey their license?

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Have the license, Del Rey may, but tell Del Rey how to use the license, Disney can.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  21. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    The yoda effect makes it super depressing....

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sorry.

23. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    The Mirta thing was, iirc, Mirta actually diving under Jaina and Tahiri fighting to attack her. If Tahiri hadn't been fighting Jaina it wouldn't have been possible, and up to that point Mirta was about to die at Tahiri's hand if Jaina hadn't come along when she did. Checking the book that's what happened, she dives under Jaina who is dueling Tahiri, with Jaina freaking because there's suddenly a friendly in the middle of a full-bore Jedi lightsaber duel, and gets her knife in.

The two training scenes where Jaina is beaten by Mandos is the first where Boba uses the tension of his family to distract her, and it's really Jaina trying to parlay while not understanding Boba had already started the training that allows him to hit her.

Goran only hits her because she likes Goran...which is the whole point. She doesn't want to hurt Goran and Goran is so nice that she's shocked when he switches off and becomes a psychopath hitting her with a stick, and then goes back to being friendly Goran afterwards.

After that she beats him every time. Even Goran admits it only worked because she didn't want to hurt him. I think it's the opposite of not being able to sense enemies in the force, it's enemies who you're not thinking of as enemies, and fighting your own instincts and what the force may or may not be telling you. Especially when you're going up against someone like Jacen who can mess with your senses.

Gamiel, Jedi_Glover, Danzo and 2 others like this.
  24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Kinda like Jango besting Jedi reaction times in Episode 2 maybe?

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Jaina's more an Obi-Wan or Mace than she is a Coleman Trebor.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  26. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Fair dos, it's been like five years since I read it. I still think it's dopey that Boba gut-punched her. But thread-derailment, etc. Let's go back to talking about how depressed we are that we have no idea if these books will ever happen.

Regarding the license comment - Del Rey do still have the license, but even aside from any influence or veto power LFL might be able to exercise, they might choose not to publish books that are going to be tossed out of canon less than a year later, and might cancel them when it became apparent that was the case.

I'm still hopeful it's not, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.