main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    There's always a bigger fish.

2. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm not sure you can judge anyone by FOTJ. Even Allston's books were yawn-worthy, there.

Crucible proves that Denning can't do well with anything.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, anything that isn't a solid playbook to work from, i.e. the NJO and SbS.

4. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    I actually enjoyed Tatooine Ghost. I like how it blended elements from the prequel, OT, and post-Endor eras.

Ghost likes this.
  5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, Tatooine Ghost was actually the first Denning book I ever read, and I had no idea it was him until much later. I thought it was odd, for sure, it had a lot of Denning-esque quirks, but not bad. Like, not offensively bad.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Denning content-wise is terrible. His books are readable style-wise though.
    Been a while since I've read Golden so can't comment too much but I'd rather have than Denning. Omen was decent and like Allies. Never finished Ascension. Too much focus on the Sith and Abeloth at the beginning.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am not sure I could really enjoy Tatooine Ghost. Since SbS wasn't that good, the composition of the Myrkr strike team bugged me when I read it, even though I still liked the book since it handled Anakin's death well, despite the fact it was a stupid idea in the first place. And Denning's way of incorporating the PT in DNT seems to have involved using RotS to convince Jacen to become a cheap knock off of his grandfather and all of the other osik from the post-NJO, which gives me very little faith in Denning's abilities at this point. I also heard something to the effect that he didn't use Thrawn very well, which does help matters since Thrawn is my favorite Star Wars villain after Palpatine.

8. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Which novel did Denning write Thrawn in?

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Thrawn was in Tatooine Ghost but was never named. Stormtrooper I think?

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- the guy who says things like "You are a waste of stormtrooper armour. Remove it so that the Rebels won't damage valuable Imperial resources killing you."

Doesn't sound like the Thrawn who's angry over Ferrier's scheme killing stormtroopers in the process, in The Last Command.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah Ferrier. Forgot about that guy. I want to see him again.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We see a flash over the horizon when two of Mazzic's ships are sent to destroy him in The Last Command.

However- I could see him making an appearance in books written in the OT era- maybe if Zahn writes another book after Scoundrels.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm surprised he didn't have an appearance in HOT but an appearance before the Thrawn Trilogy works.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured that the flash was his ship exploding as Mazzic's fighters shot it down.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to read the book again to see. Though wasn't Dash Rendar able to escape his ship being destroyed in SOTE? Anything is possible.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Still, I don't think Zahn liked Ferrier that much.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably not and wanted to wrap up everything in his trilogy.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense. The things followed up on in Hand of Thrawn were more to do with Fey'lya's terror that Something would be discovered in Mount Tantiss that would be disastrous for the Bothans.

Plenty of things got expanded on though- Mazzic's bodyguard Shada, that beckon call on Dagobah (turned out to belong to Karrde's ex-boss, not the Dark Jedi as Luke originally thought), and so on.

19. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I am the only one who loved Omen and Allies? They're amongst the only good FOTJ books in my opinion. Outcast too. Abyss and Backlash were an utter snoozefest, although Abyss was by far more. I'm in the middle of Conviction and it's boring, didn't even bother reading Vortex.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    When Outcast first came out, my hopes soared momentarily during the first few Horn family scenes because I immediately thought "IT'S LIKE I, JEDI II!"

That didn't last long. I seriously thought Outcast was setting up something amazing. Luke & Ben investigating Jacen's past, and the Horn family returning to the spot light so the kids get some much-needed characterization. How could it go wrong? :(

Valin__Kenobi, Force Smuggler and Rew like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't they say at the beginning that they were keeping the series small scale? I was under the assumption that it would be about Jacen's Force trip, the Union Summit and similar stuff. Then they had the Sith and Abeloth conquer Coruscant? Um what?

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    A general warning for everyone. While you are all at liberty to be critical of a work, please be sure to avoid any personal attacks on authors.

--Adm. Nick

23. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Didn't they also say it was supposed to be "lighter"? Finding two groups of Sith, plus Abeloth, doesn't seem "lighter" to me.

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    They probably only had the "Luke and Ben go on a fun Odyssey and we'll figure out the rest later" part of the plot ironed out at that point. You know, when the first book had already been written. [face_frustrated]

25. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so i think it's needless to point out that i think these series of books have put on the backburner indefinitely

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.