main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    No, just someone who pays ateention to everything Lucasfilm, does with Star Wars, the new books, and comics, the new toys, talking to friends who are involved with Lucasfilm. and who know people at Del Rey, Dark Horse, and Hasbro. exciting things are coming, and you guys seem to think that George Lucas
    would follow the EU to the letter, he's admitted he doesn't read it, when writing he admits he refers to the encyclopedia, or Pablo, to make sure Lucasfilm doesn't already own, an idea, or concept he's thinking of using.

Are did you guys forget about TCW, Ahsoka Tano, Anakin's fighter, Barris Offee, Even Piell, and other changes.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Dude, you have yet to show us a shred of evidence to back up even one of your claims beyond baseless extrapolation and assumptions on the stories and reports we've all read multiple times since D-day. *points at screen name* Pardon me if I'm a little bit skeptical, but I prefer discussing actual news to arguing in circles about the future of continuity. Unless you produce more than "This is what I've heard" and "I've talked to some people", you're not going to get much else here aside from cynicism and skepticism.

3. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Ok, here are the words of George Lucas himself, the guy who wrote the treatments which will become the ST, expanded by Arndt, and being polished by Abrams, and Kasdan.

In July 2001, Lucas gave his opinion on the matter of what is canon in Star Wars during an interview with Cinescape magazine:
    There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe. ”

Further, in an August 2005 interview in Starlog magazine:
    STARLOG: "The Star Wars Universe is so large and diverse. Do you ever find yourself confused by the subsidiary material that's in the novels, comics, and other offshoots?"
    LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."
    Lucas VERY clearly sees EU as subordinate to His Royal ideas, no matter how good any of it may be on its own merits:

... Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
    and

"So how did Anakin get that scar, George?" asks John Knoll.
    "I don't know. Ask Howard," says George, referring to President of Lucas Licensing Howard Roffman. "That's one of those things that happens in the novels between the movies. I just put it there. He has to explain how it got there. I think Anakin got it slipping in the bathtub, but of course, he's not going to tell anybody that."

Who I've talked to, Cory voyek of Roqoodepot.com, ten years covering Lucasfilm, Tricia Barr of Fangirlblog, Suvudu, and Star Wars Insider, and Jason Ward, of makingstarwars.net, all of them have experience covering Lucasfilm, Del Rey, Dark Horse, and Hasbro
    all three of them with solid reputations, and connections to Star Wars, and Lucasfilm

4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Tenel Ka was originally supposed to die instead of Mara? Interesting, in some ways I wish this happened. But Mara was a big fan favorite so it would've had more of an impact then TK. Although, it doesn't really make sense. I mean was Mara really THAT close to Jacen?

newdawn12 likes this.
  5. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Neither Toy, or Aaron were happy about it, that's why they liked working with Christie so much, she was more of a team player.

Team Padme likes this.
  6. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Which in no way excludes the possibility that any of Arndt, Abrams or Kasdan might talk to people like Leland or Pablo and decide, 'well if we tweak this minor point here, and this one there, it fits better with the last 30 years of material and doesn't change the story".

Just because Lucas had an outline, doesn't mean that the same outline cannot be used to write a story that still fits within the EU if someone puts in a little effort.

All great people for covering news. But none of whom will have any knowledge of what's going on inside LFL that hasn't been publicly released, since, you know, none are part of the story group or working on Episode VII. Their speculation is not a likely to be a whole lot more accurate than anyone else's at this point.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, even though I loved KT's book all of the LOTF books were pretty much all Boba Fett centered. Wasn't really THAT necessary.

newdawn12 likes this.
  8. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    What's interesting is that if she had taken that out she could easily have done a separate Fett trilogy around that and associated plot points, and we could have gotten a lot more detail in LOTF. Would have made for a more interesting set of books IMHO.

Mind you, all three authors had their pet side--projects that series.

newdawn12 likes this.
  9. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    What makes you think they don't have sources, friends, and contacts, in Lucasfilm?

plus their's much more that I haven't shared, and that I wont''t, some fans will be happy, some thrilled, some pissed, and some downright furious, but the year of full official announcements is 2014, I can a;ready tell, you'll be furious Darth_Henning, and I'm sorry about that, I'm looking forward to the fresh start we're getting, it's like a rebirth, is coming, and I'm positively thrilled, and I just wanted to share my excitement.

10. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    I agree, she should have worked more closely with Troy, and Aaron.

11. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Possible? yes. Likely that they've found out so much that no one else knows about? I doubt it.

We'll see what happens. Until there's an actually official announcement, everything's speculation, and unless its from someone working on EP VII, its baseless until proven otherwise.

12. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012

Where did you ask Christie about this on her blog? Because I'm trying to find it but so far I haven't...

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I think you quoted the wrong person, TP.

14. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
  15. DarthSanctimonious

DarthSanctimonious Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    Allston and Denning had those. I don't think that what Traviss did with Fett and the Mandalorians can really be described as a "side-project".

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I almost wish they had staged an intentional twist on ROTS -- Tenal goes to turn Jacen back to the light à la Padme on Mustafar, and ends up killing him rather than vice versa. Granted you loose the twin vs twin dynamic, but honestly there was a heck of a lot more lead-up to Tenal vs Jacen after reading the Young Jedi Knights books. Twin vs twin was just a cheap soap opera stunt. Tenal and Jacen actually had an uneasy history that would have substantiated a confrontation.

Valin__Kenobi and Shadow Trooper like this.
  17. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    now that's an interesting idea I've never thought of.

You have a point that that would actually have made some more sense in character. The out of universe reason was probably to start expanding on what the "sword of the jedi" was supposed to mean, but it did seem rather arbitrary that Jaina was the only one who could be sent to confront him. Why not Tenel or Luke or half the jedi council? Admittedly it still works as a plot point, but your suggestion is much more logical

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I almost wish this had happened too, Tenel Ka hasn't even done anything significant to make up for Mara's death since the end of LOTF.

19. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    Team Padme, go onto her website and press "blog about it." Then when it takes you to the other page press "about" at the top of the page and my comment is the last, I believe.

Team Padme likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Del Rey Star Wars I'm defriending you on Facebook.

Abandon shop!

23. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    If Golding is actually gone, at the very least I hope they don't abandon the idea and they get someone else to pen it.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They're not outta it yet! Not that I mind, I ditched on 90% of Del Rey's output when Vector Prime was released. Bring on someone else!

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Del Rey loosing the license would explain the situation with The Essential Characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.