main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Wait, I've been out of the loop. What exactly is going on with the Essential Characters?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    some website listed it as cancelled and everybody's been assuming that website to be correct

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rumour mongering says it cancelled along with the series this thread is about, set Defcon Panic Level 9!

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Actually, I've just read Allies for the third time, and I've changed my mind. Golden wasn't an excellent author, but the reading was on the better side of the scale. Out of a 10, I'd give the writing/plot a 7/10. (No book I've read has ever gotten a 10/10)

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm starting the rumor right now. MATT STOVER AS THE NEW AUTHOR OF SWORD OF THE JEDI.

And Imperial Commando #2. And the Episode VII novelization.

6. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Imperial Commando II? It's been several years since the first came out. Anyway, I will be wanting to read it, even if it is as bad as the first, just for some closure.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds about right.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    My former roommate's husband's friend knows a guy whose cousin heard from someone who works for Lucasfilm that Michael Arndt got fired because they're bringing in Matthew Stover to write the Episode VII screenplay. Unfortunately this means that The Baby Ewoks' Picnic Surprise is no longer canon because it conflicts with some driving directions Stover wrote on the back of a losing lottery ticket and then accidentally threw away at a gas station three years ago.

Ghost, Danzo, Zeta1127 and 4 others like this.
  9. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Well we kinda already knew that based on her above blog post about not knowing what's going on with it since the acquisition.

She's not working on it, but that doesn't really say whether its been cancelled, reassigned, or is just in limbo until further notice.

Who knows.

It would. But why would Del Rey be losing the license now? Aside from the questionable writing direction of LOTF and FOTJ, their other output has been for the most part well received by fans, and they seem to know how to put out a lot of material fairly well and ensure it sells.

Possible. But....no obvious reasoning.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Honestly I can't see why Del Rey would be dropped -- it's a pretty massive business. I mean sure there are others like Tor, but you go to any Barnes and Noble and you'll see Del Rey's logo all over the sci-fi/fantasy section.

newdawn12 and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I admit, I don't actually pay attention to who publishes what. I only know about del rey because of my involvement on the star wars boards, but that's interesting. I know someone's mentioned that disney does own a publishing company, but also that that company does not (as yet) have a sci-fi division. But they could well decide to move books in-house, just like a lot suspect they'll be doing with comics.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wait...is this trilogy cancelled for sure? I would've loved to have post FOTJ books. :( It seems like the EU is kinda coming to an end...

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The post-NJO EU is so terrible that I'm sadder about The Essential Characters than I am about SOTJ.

14. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Not for sure. We just know that Golden "isn't working on it anymore" - which could mean that its a different author now, the books are in limbo until some announcement is made and she's waiting, or they're cancelled.

Sadly, given the way the production timeline is looking for the EU (or rather lack thereof) cancelled is most likely.

Though I really hope not.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Golden's books were definitely not my favorites in the series, but the fact that Jaina would finally have been front and center makes me mourn for this trilogy.

Darth_Henning likes this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My response to Jaina finally receiving the torch is, it should have already happened instead of the complete and total waste of words that was the Denningverse.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True. And Jacen never should've turned to the dark side, and Mara never should've died. But we're here now, and I was looking forward to this. :(

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Should have happened years ago when the Sword of the Jedi title still meant something. Like what the heck did it mean? It's been what 11 years since the title was given? Way to drop the ball Del Rey.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    After SOTJ they just would have killed Jaina off to focus on Luke again anyway.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Fixed.

darklordoftech and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, I care about characters like the Solo twins and Mara, and other characters that were killed or ruined by the Denningverse, so I was guaranteed to not care about things like SotJ from the beginning.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, non-Denning involvement might have helped it out–Golden could go her own way. Maybe we would've seen character development ("What's that?" - Troy Denning) for Jaina and Ben. In any case, I'll lament losing it, but it certainly wasn't the worst thing that could've happened. Maybe if Stover had written a post-FOTJ novel focusing on Ben and Allana, things would have gone over better–but I would've mourned losing that far more than this.

23. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Interesting thought. What if Golden's no longer working on it because its being moved to occur shortly after the NJO as a lead into the Sequel trilogy and a reboot of the post-TUF EU? (A hypothetical idea we tossed around in another thread)

Would people be interested then?

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would be interested if it's part of a rebooted-from-the-end-of-TUF EU.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Of course, but I think it's a pipe dream, unfortunately. Although to be perfectly honest, I've lost all faith in Del Rey's ability to competently tell a narrative with any sort of weight or significance attached to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.