main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I don't like Golden, but I was really looking forward to the story.

Team Padme likes this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Am I the only one that likes her writing?

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Oh Allies had fun parts, especially the Lando and Jaina scenes, but she really suffered from having to write a part of FOTJ. One can kind of fell it in Ascension that she seemed to just wanted it done with.

4. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    No, although I thought her Warcraft and Starcraft novels were stronger than her Star Wars ones to date.

5. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I enjoyed her

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved Allies...and Omen was a great read.

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I enjoyed Omen. Allies was pretty good. Ascension suffered because the 3-author rotating schedule format for a series is fundamentally flawed. Three authors each telling multi-book stories set roughly at the same time can work pretty well. Each author can tell the part of the story that suits them. Helps plot-threads from coming and going with no warning. But what we had for LotF and FotJ was just not a very good idea.

8. 13977

13977 Jedi Master

Jan 18, 2008
    THE_PIED_PIPER likes this.
  9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    via twitter

Confirmation on what everyone was expecting

Ghost and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The bright side of it is that apparently SOTJ will fit in with the new continuity, meaning Golden will potentially be the first author with a post-ROTJ novel that will not be rendered non-canon. Even better, that first precious spot doesn't go to Denning. :p

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have liked Golden's writing but not particularly in SW. I'm actually glad this is paused I've never liked Jania as the Sword of the Jedi concept. Strikes me most unJedi-like.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    It would probably have to be redone, if Jacen, Mara, and Chewie are alive, and Jaina's in her early 20s/late teens

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Even if that's the case, it would be a massive breath of fresh air, because it wouldn't be a Denningverse novel. I think Golden could write wonderful Star Wars books, if she didn't do so under the Denningverse flag. Now she has a potential to rise above the ashes of FOTJ. I'd love to see how she'd write Jacen/the Solo son, since she didn't start writing till Anakin and Caedus were dead.

newdawn12 likes this.
  14. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    So what you're saying is starting a reboot just after NJO tying into the sequel trilogy and somehow reconning Chewie as alive?

Sounds good to me!

As for her writing, the one thing that she does a LOT that bugs me is instead of using "also" or "as well" or "then" or other, she always starts sentences with "Too, ...." which is really jarring to read, and throws me every time, even if it is technically grammatically correct. Its just awkward.

Also the story group "deciding what's going to be the new continuity" does in no way mean reboot - it means they're deciding if its a reboot, or keeping the original.

If it was a reboot there would be nothing to decide, they'd be "waiting on the movie" instead, or have outright cancelled it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Same here! I definitely could handle that. Chewie being alive would be an easy retcon to live with. It wasn't one of the aspects of the NJO I was attached to. The others would be welcome; probably enough for the post NJO to regain my interest. And if this series goes through, that would mean the rest of the NJO stays. Otherwose , Jaime would have been named the Sword of the Jedi.

Edit: the age of the big three actors is actually perfect for a post NJO movie. This would be a major benefit of preserving the EU up to this point. They would potentially have up to five years for lead in material. I'm positive the story group is considering this. They want freedom, but they wouldn't want to erase the EU. I think this tweat indicates that. If they were planning on a complete reboot, this trilogy would have been cancelled, not placed on hold. I think they are putting a lot of thought into the current EU. With the age of the actors, they already have to be a certain amount of years after Yavin.

Apophis_, Darth_Henning and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't get that from that tweet - the way I read it was that depending on the outcome of the new canon, she'll either get to do it or not, not that she'll get to do it either way.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Does she? I never really noticed.

18. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Definitely not.

It seems like they're decidiing if

a) there WILL be a jaina (complete reboot)
    b) Jaina will be the SOTJ (requiring up to NJO to remain vs only bantum or only up to ROTJ)
    c) if SOTJ will be set post-NJO to lead into a sequel trilogy or post FOTJ/Crucible and lead into sequel trilogy.

That tweet is just as ambiguous as what we have so far. ZERO information either way. Yet people jump all over it as "OMGZ REEBOOTZ!" Which seems to be the ongoing assumption with every piece of news regardless of what it says.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Maybe Jaina gets the title "Sword of the Jedi", in episode seven?

mes520 likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, the Sword of the Jedi trilogy is already "planned" or "plotted" which means that the story is already decided. We can speculate based on the promo image that it will involve the Lost Tribe.

How compatible these things, as well as a daughter of Han Solo and Leia Organa being the Sword of the Jedi, are with the ST is a completely open question.

I suspect that Episode VII was written in a vacuum from the Expanded Universe, so I don't take it for granted that Han Solo and Leia Organa have a daughter that's a Jedi, let alone a daughter. And I have to echo what Dr. Brule said: I don't think that they're just going to pick the most suitable Episode VII character, i.e. a female Jedi which may or may not be related to the Skywalker-Solos, dub her the Sword of the Jedi, and write a trilogy about her that is compatible with Episode VII with the narrative framework that's already been established for the so-called "Denningverse."

mes520 and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    You may be right. If Leia and Han had a daughter, and if she was a Jedi, then maybe they could just rewrite the trilogy to focus on her. Maybe her name's even Jaina. But taking all that for granted is asking for disappointment; it just seemed like what Golden was saying, though. Maybe I read too much into it. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess.

22. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    I'll get excited when there are release dates, but this seems to be good news.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    She writes about another Jaina in her WOW novels.:D

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003

It really doesn't matter. While I wanted this story because it continues after Crucible, its understandable that Episode 7 will dictate a lot of where things will be going. It would be great if they had the two parallel universes. The one that we currently have and then all the other stuff, but it won't happen. If what Filoni said is to be taken serious.......star wars will be one story....meaning that movies, tv series, spin offs, animation, comic books, and novels with a touch of video games from here on out will be one. If this group is really fleshing out whats good and what won't be good then well, what can I tell you. New owners, new stuff, new way of doing things.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    To be honest, I'm amused to find out that this title thing seems to have any weight to it. *If* this trilogy would come out in a modified version that conformed to the ST but not necessarily to the preceding books, there would be no reason at all to have a background for the "Sword of the Jedi" title. Neither Jaina's IU title, nor the OOU book series title. The title selling books and the cover image of a bad-pants youngish (she's approaching 40 by now, isn't she) female Jedi selling a lot of t-shirts is a self-contained phenomenon. It doesn't depend on what that one book in 2002 said, or what those other books interpreted out of it (and there were different interpretations, weren't there, from "kills Sith" to "kills her brother" to "kills Tsavong Lah"). Yes, the devoted Jaina fandom will take every detail into account and therefore know exactly about where the phrase came from. But if Rachel Solo is called "The Sword Of The Jedi" all it tells the world is that she's like the new Mace Windu or something, and that she's going to kick some pants. Not that you need to have read Destiny's Way and appreciated the NJO.

It's similar to "The Dark Knight" being a title that has a history in Batman lore, but you wouldn't need to know which comic book first coined the phrase and which one really ran with the idea and why it is an important moniker for Batman when you see the movie; Nolan has a self-contained interpretation of the phrase and the character so that everyone understands why the movie is called that way. Wait, you mean there's actually been comic books about that guy before the movie?

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.