main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hi, I'm dp4m -- you may remember me from such conventions as Celebration V and Celebration VI and such forums as ... this one!

When I said on the Temp Boards: "Ben should be playing a major role in this series," some of you (apparently) took this to be hypothetical. That's cute. I can try again:

"Ben should be playing a major role in this series, even if not the main character, as confirmed to me by the publisher even if I've seen nothing in writing yet and obviously everything can change by the time we see prints of these novels."

Of course, for all we know, Ben may be playing a major role in the Paul Kemp duology too (we've still heard nothing, right?). I have my suspicions, but no one would say anything about these books (not privately, not off the record, not nudge nudge wink wink), so all anyone has is suspicions.

2. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Speaking of, is the Paul Kemp duology still actually happening? Hasn't it been about two years since it was announced, still with no release date, title or...anything other than an author?

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    As far as we know, it hasn't been cancelled.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The secretive looks I got were not the William C Dietz pained looks of "this thing is crap, how do we get out of it" but more of the "there's literally nothing we can say that isn't a secret about it and won't give the game away" looks.

They mentioned it at the panel (Shelly and Jen could easily have said "Bad news everybody..." and didn't, plus Paul tweeted in himself) and there was talk outside the panel which basically consisted of "We could tell you but then we'd have to kill you, explode you and then vacuum up your pieces of exploded you."

So, again, I have my thoughts... :p

5. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    So go on, dp, tell us your speculations... ;)

Cus I got nothing. Something that secretive, but in the works for that long? It sort of doesn't sound like the next big future development for the EU since that's likely to be Sword of the Jedi? New era? Something dealing with surprising backstory like the Whills or something? I really have no idea...

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Also, something incredibly secretive that they're fine with handing over to someone rather new to the franchise.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    My money's on a super secret project related to ANH 3D, where we will learn Obi-Wan did not die when Vader sliced him in half, and that his "ghosting" was in fact a deception, with him really just going invisible and hauling his torso onto the Falcon.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I thought I'd mentioned this previously, but I suspect Luke has another child -- all of the current DR authors seem quite fond of Courtship and it's been years since we touched Mother Rell's visions. The only thing that makes sense for Crucible -- if Shelly / Jen / et al are really not playing the long con -- for something that the Big Three HAS to handle (i.e. "only they can handle") is something either they caused or is directly-related to them. The link to Han's past isn't necessarily enough (unless Bey-related, but I'd sooner believe it'd be Plif-related given how often Bey is mentioned these days).

So, if that's true, I suspect the Kemp duology will either be THAT backstory (of that person) or the interaction of the Skywalker children -- and there's simply no way for them to say anything about the plot (even "Ben's in it") without giving away at least part of the game.

9. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    ....dagnabbit that makes some amount of sense. I really, really, really hope you're wrong though. Especially since the kid would be like nearly forty years old at this point which is just...I don't know. Odd and not exactly bringing new blood to the franchise, so...what's the point? But I can see why you'd speculate that way. And you probably did mention it before - I've been AWOL for way too long.

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The secret Kemp project is most definitely the Trioculus Biopic.

11. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    If anything, I'm guessing it would be the backstory. Being that, as long as plans haven't changed with the change in editor, Sue Rostoni had stated before she left that the Kemp duo wouldn't be taking place post- Fate of the Jedi.

Or maybe it could be an Imperial Commando wrap up. :p

12. Black Sun 4 Life

Black Sun 4 Life Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2012
    That is not cancelled yet?

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    UGH. UGH UGH UGH.

God I hope that's not true. I would hate that with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

14. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I really hope you're wrong about Crucible and Kemp's upcoming books, dp4m. Because if this is truly where they are taking things then I am out. This will be the last straw for me.

You really have to wonder why they kept every single detail about Kemp's upcoming books secret for two years. Bad feeling about this.

15. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I, on the other hand, expect to be totally blown away by the huge twist they've been working towards for years now... seriously. I'm not giving up hope.
    Though I don't expect it to be another Skywalker kid. Too cheesy.

JediDingo likes this.
  16. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone know if Kemp has said if he plans to do anything else with Jaden, or was he just a one time thing?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For clarification: everything on Kemp's books from me is sheer speculation; everything I've said about Sword of the Jedi (thus far) is not speculation (even if it ends up being wrong). In case there was confusion.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Judging by his most recent Mass Effect book, I don't doubt this at all [face_rofl]

19. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    The post NJO eu has been nothing but one huge kriffing joke. I very seriously doubt there's a twist these folks can come up with that will make this era palatable. I say chuck it into the the trash and start over with all new authors and creative team. Just my opinion.

20. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    Although this is the Sword of the Jedi thread, I'll give my thoughts on the Kemp books that we don't know about. I do think it connects with something really big in the EU, but may take place in an era we've already been through. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if it were more Jaden Korr books taking place during the Vong War.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I share your hope for the exact same reason. If they introduced another Skywalker that old, I fully foresee it would just be so they could have another antagonist on Luke's level, which would just feel contrived and serve as an obstruction to passing the torch onto Ben and Allana's age group.

Now, if it was linked to Crosscurrent and Riptide, and had something to do with the Jedi-Sith clone Skywalkers? That'd be different, and simply an evolution of Kemp's Jaden novels, which seriously need a conclusion already.

cthugha and A Tool like this.
  22. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    You're all wrong, it's a Rosh Penin duology! :D

23. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    No problem - that was totally clear to me, at least. And I'm not even freaking out about the duology. I can see why you would speculate as you do, but I have hopes that it's not something they'd do for the reasons I gave. And thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Honestly I think they could have kept 90% of the stuff in the post-NJO EU, even the dorky stuff I hate, and it would have been SO much better if they just hadn't disappeared the Vong and their influence until the Legacy era. I rationalise it by saying it's still so soon after the giant war, they're playing it safe by staying on Zonoma Sekot, but just, dammit, why isn't Coruscant still half jungle. How evocative would that be?

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Another Skywalker child, if done correctly, would be pretty cool. Fresh cast member(s), fresh direction.

No idea what my definition of 'done correctly' is, but the more Yuuzhan Vong we have the better, I'd agree.

RevaDurron and JediDingo like this.
  25. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I just don't see that happening.

Which, of course, means it will.

As for Ben - I am curious to see how that works out. If, as much evidence seems to indicate, SotJ includes the Lost Tribe, that would probably also include Vestara, if Ben is involved.

I just hope they keep the focus on Jaina. It would be a shame to have her first main character trilogy and then be overshadowed by her supporting cast, even if that cast is awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.