main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Of the group of friends that I had back when ROTS ended. I had calculated that by 2017 - would be getting Ep7 - that had been my prediction and my friends laughed at me and said GL will never do it. So I'm not giving up hope for the authors either. And I agree it would be nice to have the authors get to do a wrap of sorts. It's not like in the days of old without the NET --- fans can voice their opinions and be heard today. I won't say the fans always prevail --- but we can hope.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Wow, that seems a very glass fully empty way of looking at things. That would be true, perhaps, if they had ceased to sell the LU and denounced it altogether... but that's not what has happened. A case can be made for them simply not wanting to lose the profit the LU represents, but none the less, towards that end the Legends universe is now simply an alternate continuity that aside from a few dead ends is complete. I quite enjoy that concept, myself.

Of course Allana and Mara still both exist, and are cannon... in the Legends universe, which still contains everything it ever has, the films and TCW included. Abrams, Disney and the story group are still going to cherry pick the LU for ideas and potentially characters, and things will still bleed over.

They simply won't be relevant in the new timeline until added in the new timeline. But in the same way, the new timeline effects the old in no way at all. They create a new film that gives Obi-Wan a new apprenticeship? It only effects the the current 'canon' and changes nothing in the Legends continuity. In Legends, the old material trumps the new, and that delights me in a way.

Think of it like the new Star Trek films. Or as I prefer to think of like Doctor Who. The films would be 'fixed points in time' that never deviate, because the force has dictated the events. But everything around them can vary wildly. But the events all still happened in different timelines, for me including Tales and Infinities, and always have done. Canon? In this case that simply means the new timeline that new material will be following.

Still that post was a month ago now and close to the initial breaking of the news. I'm curious on yours thoughts, a month on, if you are willing to share?

On the topic of this book, i'm uncertain. On one hand I like the idea of Jaina having her own books and getting some development, and its a shame it won't happen, despite the first book (at least) probably complete somewhere but never to see the light of day. On the other hand, it would have been brought to us by the same circle of authors, pulling from the same ideas pool, that brought us LotF and FotJ, so another side of me says 'whew, dodged a bullet there'.

BoromirsFan and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    IMO the way I understood the article on EU per Disney --- was that they would still draw characters from the EU but not on the storylines. And as for the Sword of the Jedi triology - Christie Golden states that she has not written any of the 3 books yet and won't unless she gets a green light for doing so in the future.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Still 100% accurate and on-point unless something has changed dramatically in the last weeks or so since I visited Lit.

All Legends is non-canon. Not sure if they decided on video games.

Worse: I am non-canon! (which is all that really matters, of course! ;) )

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  5. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I suppose it all depends on how much weight you put on none-canon when all the material is (more or less) remaining in circulation. To me that makes it more AU than none-existant, since it still exists and counts within the whole of the LU... which I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) is currently the largest fictional universe spread across more types of media than any other. It is its own entity in my eyes, beyond some suits ability to sway me into agreeing it doesn't 'count'. It isn't so much none canon as a self-contained universe that new material will be splitting away from.

If i wanted to be a awkward arse, then I would also raise the point that I no more consider Disney as a corporation able to dictate canon to me, than I would another bloated company buying Tolkiens works and declaring the Silmarillion to not be the true backstory to Middle-Earth.

Things is, I don't even have to take that viewpoint, because you don't label something none-canon with a shiny new banner, and continue to sell it all. You sweep something none canon under the rug and hope people forget about it. You don't publish them anew with sparkly new covers. Despite what they claim... I think they simply chose to use none-canon as an incorrect term to mean 'we don't want to deal with all the baggage going forwards, so its AU now.'

Then again, I've always enjoyed Infinities and Tales (and especially Visionaries) and considered some of those canon too.

Frankly, until the nEU catches up in size and content to the LU, I know which i'll be more invested in. Not to say i'm not looking forwards to what is coming; i'm actually quietly hopeful that we might get some nice, fresh, stories out of all this.

And you're not non-canon. On the contrary. You are Legendary.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    dp4m

Damn, that means I am non-canon now too! RIP, Admiral Nict.

Granted, Nict is dead already, but you get the picture. :p

--Adm. Nick

Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and dp4m like this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Your canon is dead, son. Accept it.

Riv_Shiel and DelRiego like this.
  8. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    But we are now LEGENDS! And if Disney decides they can make some money on our likenesses we'll be brought back...yippie?

Riv_Shiel, Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.