main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books "Sword of the Jedi" trilogy would be over by now...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's NJO fan-fic. It can't be that bad.
    You can always revamp it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_rofl]

Pfluegermeister and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yyyeah... for once I gotta side with Gamiel. That's like saying "it's fanfic set during ESB, it can't be that bad".

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read multiple NJO era fan-fics and none of them have been bad imo.
    I've liked @revanfan1's works over the years so I don't think it would be that bad.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Ahsoka probably would have been far better accepted by longtime EU fans if the show stuck to Filoni's original idea for the series and had the show take place outside of The Clone Wars (the main group would have been similar to the Ghost Crew). If there is anybody to blame for people's dislike of TCW it should probably be Lucas.

That said I don't think anybody can blame them for what they did for Ahsoka the last few seasons. Afterall you need to remember the show wasn't targeting the die hard EU fans who had been reading the stuff ever since the early to mid '90's. It was targeting the 10-15 year olds who were growing up during that period. Turning Ahsoka into a bit of a badass in the later seasons made complete sense since she was the star of the show that was created solely so these 10-15 year olds would have somebody to relate to.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if the Celestials would have been developed.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks for the words of support Force Smuggler. Truth is I just went back and read it and it's really cringe-y. I'll post it since you asked, but I'm going to make a few modifications as I go. I'll tag you in the thread when I start it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You're welcome! Go for it. Thank you.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    But anyway, I believe this all started because the TCW Vong arc was mentioned. Man, that would've been interesting.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That really would have been an interesting arc. How many freak outs would there have been you think?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The reactions from when it was revealed (dunno where they'd be) should be a clue.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Basically, I think the probable good thing about Sword of the Jedi would have been that it would probably have shown Leia and Han having a legacy to be proud of. I can't imagine that these books would have dragged Jaina down, even if they'd had her move in with Jag's Empire.

13. Fiannawolf

Fiannawolf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2015
    Since I'm going through Star Wars: Legacy and Legacy II once more....I would have liked to see how Jaina/Jag would have tied into the creation of the Imperial Knights and all that. Oh well.

Darthmaul208 and Allana_Rey like this.
  14. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I had a Legacy marathon last winter, and I recently looked at my notes again. One observation I had back then was that the Jedi and the Imperial Knights are not only divided by the obvious philosophical differences and (lack of) individuality in clothing and lightsabers; the Jedi we see taking over for Sinde on Mon Calamari also talks differently. As if he's from a more educated, more "high culture" background, and he's actually pleasantly beyond seriousness when talking about the Will of the Force and the "rules" of being a Force User while the Imperial Knights, even shining old guard example Sinde, end up at each other's throat. You'd obviously need to go back and see if all other Jedi are similar in Legacy or if this was just one individual character.

And since I also thoought about who would have joined Jaina and who would have stayed with the Skywalkers, I found it interesting that Luke's old guard consisted of a lot of former soldiers. To me, giving Corran to Jaina would be a no-brainer. Kyp, while not originally having a military background, forged himself one in the Vong war (like so many Jedi did), and you'd imagine that he'd join Jaina. So if you have a more military-oriented, possibly even more human-centric new order around Jaina in the Imperial Knights, who would remain with the Skywalkers? And more importantly, while the Skywalkers would probably be just as down to earth as everyone who just left - how big is their influence on the order once K'ruhk, Tree Lady and potentially other "Golden Age" Jedi start to appear? If we're going to assume that they haven't yet joined when Jaina's leaving, I don't know if there's been an official stance on that.

Maybe Jaina could even set up her own order as a reaction because she doesn't want to lose her ways to those of another Old Republic Jedi after Vergere showing up didn't turn out the good in the end. The Skywalkers might then be "the rulers" of the Jedi Order, but not necessarily the main compass for what it means to be a Jedi. There's still moments when Skywalkers exert their leadership to set a course, like Kol's Ossus Project, but all in all Luke's Order is taken over by the Old Republic, while the essence of Luke's Order is turned into the Imperial Knights. Complete with Headbutting, fiery temper, and the option to initiate duels to the death if there's a philosophical difference.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]
    I laugh since I would cry otherwise

Nobody145, Grey1 and Vthuil like this.
  16. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    It even makes sense that Jaina, or Jaina's example, would impose a "You Hav To Kill The Dark Side Regent And Your Turned Brother" rule based on Luke having sent her to kill her usurping turned brother.

One day we'll find out that Denning reverse-engineered the post-NJO from Legacy's setup and only ever acted as if he ignored Legacy for maximum secrecy.

17. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Just went through this thread. Wow. It's like I'm back in 2013.

Speaking from personal experience, in a 'What If no Disney buy-out?' alternate history scenario I'd probably show more interest in the franchise. In recent years I have pretty much accepted that this Star Wars isn't for me. I still run occasional RPGs and participate in them, but that's about it. Ironically, I might not have made friends with some Purists that I'd otherwise have disregarded. It's not just Legends folks that don't like the new Disney Star Wars, a lot of Purists equally see that as not being 'Lucas' original vision' as they saw the old EU. Hell, some of them even take Legends as preferable because it still came from a time when Lucas ran Star Wars.

We'd not only see Sword of the Jedi, but we'd probably have a lot of other stories in the era like Mercy Kill was. Legacy most likely wouldn't have gotten a rushed ending. I could see Ania Solo going on adventures well up to 2016 rather than ALL remaining One Sith piling up into a single battle and Imperial Knights just converting into Jedi for some stupid reason. Noting cultural effects and how they work on fiction, we'd probably see Talon and Nihl's One Sith remnants as some sort of a space ISIS. Since it's Jan/John it'd probably run better than certain writers giving Caedus Bush and Blair quotes.

We could've seen some new Star Wars games. Who knows if EA would've still gotten the license. Maybe instead of the Battlefield-reskin we could've gotten a true Battlefront and maybe a Jedi Knight 4? This may just be me being hopeful though. Star Wars games were already on decline considering things like this. Legends was in decline, yes, but with the success of Legacy and an upcoming Sword of the Jedi trilogy it would've been 'fixed' from its problems from LOTF and FOTJ. Star Wars video games though? I don't think giving even Obsidian the license could've fixed them.

xezene likes this.
  18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    BBLers now call themselves Purists. Got it.

19. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Purists are the people who think the only 'real' Star Wars is the OT and nothing else.

20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It might even have been enough to redeem the post-NJO era for me. The obsession with huge galaxy-altering events instead of writing a bunch of smaller stories like the Bantam era did was one of my biggest problems with that time period. Mercy Kill at least seemed to indicate that they'd finally gotten the memo.

(And hey, there might even have been more X-wing stories. The new Wraith Squadron wasn't finished by a long shot. Although they might have been hesitant to go forward with them after Allston passed away).

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Purists are only into Lucas's vision but they don't accept the PT? Gotcha. Sounds like if what you say is true they are really contradicting themselves.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    No, it sounds like what you are putting into his mouth contradicts itself, almost like you're replacing what he said with a deliberately contradictory straw-man argument just so you could make another passive-aggressive swipe at a poster whose personal tastes don't line up with your own....

Of course, I want to stress that it only sounds like that, I just woke up from a food coma after Sunday roast so my mind is quite fuzzy so I'm sure I'm reading into it wrong, I wouldn't ever suggest that that was actually the case!

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Dr. Steve if someone only accepts Lucas's vision than they can't really be OT people only. Because the PT was probably the closest thing we have to Lucas's original vision than anything else.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, let's have a pathetically nitpicky argument about terminology, woo!

How about no.

To be clear: Havoc123's post was fine, containing absolutely nothing that should have got anyone's back up or have been worth jumping on. And yet here we are.

Again.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Y-wings get no respect.

rumsmuggler and CT-867-5309 like this.