main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books "Sword of the Jedi" trilogy would be over by now...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Before I abandon ship, I'd like to formally apologize for whatever role I may have played in turning this into the next "Great River" thread.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I fully apologize if I had anything to do with it as well.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Let's not confuse Legacy (the comic book series, two volumes) with LOTF (Legacy of the Force, the 9 books about Darth Caedus)

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't think anybody is.

5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    We don't know what Rey is going to become in the future yet, and a second "Chosen One" story is not a given. In fact, there's nothing in TFA that shows them going that route. Rey may be important, but the movie goes out of its way to put the grand importance on Luke. If anyone's going to be another Chosen One, I think it's going to be Luke.

On top of that, the Rey character was hardly a waste; she not only stands on her own two feet, but has become a breakout character. I'd also argue that she has a more distinct personality than the Jaina character does -- although I am going off of memory, so I could be overlooking stuff. But, on the other hand, do we really need to be pitting the characters against each other? They each have their own place in the franchise, their own stories, and I could easily see fans to like one also enjoying the other.

Do we really know how much was borrowed and how much was just the filmmakers working with similar ideas? The idea of Darth Vader's grandkid following in his footsteps is a really interesting idea that I could see people who've never read the books coming up with.

Also, I don't think that TFA is as close to the Legacy series as some people think. Beyond the villain being a Solo kid to fell to the dark side and another lead character being a young woman who's both a Jedi and a wrench monkey, the series are vastly different in backstory, setting, characters, and events that frame the fallen Solo kid's story (and even the Solo kid and female Jedi characters are vary different in each version). We don't even know how the sequel trilogy is going to end. It could very well go down a completely different path than Legacy... did.

"Shameless ripoff?" I honestly don't think so.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Okay we'll wait and see, but I'm not gonna say "NO No TFA is the most amazing thing since the human mastery of fire." I've seen people defend it to the death almost on the Internet, there are undeniable similarities, I wouldn't be surprised if they change the next two films plots away from said similarities to dodge the criticism, or maybe they wouldn't care.

If Zeta and I have anything particular in common it is disillusionment, and a lack of enthusiasm for the future of Star Wars.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Nobody is saying that everyone has to love TFA. However it is hard to deny that the film did infact reinvigorate the franchise probably beyond even what Disney hoped for. Some people didn't like it but many, many, many people liked it a lot and that is why it made almost a billion dollars in the states.

WebLurker likes this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well thank you for clarifying-indulge with me on speculation on this point-had Lucas never sold the franchise, and kept it until his death, how long do you think the EU would have lasted?

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Depends on if Lucas ever would have decided to make a ST himself. If he decided to keep the franchise in the family but not make more movies himself we still likely would have gotten a ST eventually when his kids were calling the shots. Chances are pretty good that the EU would have been rebooted whenever they decided to start the movies back up.

WebLurker likes this.
  11. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Never said it was. And as far as your opinion goes: fair enough.

On a purely subjective note, I found TFA to be a more enjoyable story than pretty much everything from NJO on, but your mileage may vary.

I suspect that A.) the filmmakers ahve already plotted out the next two movies and B.) are probably not very aware of Legacy...'s existence in the first place. While we might think that the books are famous, we're actually in the minority of the fanbase for reading them.

Hope the franchise brings something new that's to your liking.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    If the story in TFA seemed similar to the one in LOTF it's likely not because they were retelling Legacy's story but instead because both LOTF and TFA both got their inspiration from the OT.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Do you think they would have ever closed the In-Universe gap between Crucible and Legacy?

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Probably would have begun to. How far they would have gotten though nobody knows.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone think that they would have gone further than the Legacy comics, if given the chance?

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I would have liked to have seen them go into the far future, maybe intergalactic colonization, Jedi/Sith unity, discovering a planet with a strangely familiar humanoid species(okay not that) and just going further like that.

Also Dawn of the Jedi had a nice idea about going farther into the past-that had potential as well.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think there was enough going on during that era that they wouldn't have gone further.

DHC seemed interested in fleshing out the rest of timeline, anyways - Dawn of the Jedi, KOTOR, Knight Errant, Agent of the Empire, Invasion...

Sadly, it's unlikely we're going to see anything similar for quite some time.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I heard that Force Unleashed was supposed to be set a 1000 years after the movies and a council of Jedi and Sith would work together to fight a threat.

I want to see a member of Yoda's species go dark and rule the galaxy for a couple centuries.

Seeing a Jedi Order that has all of the Force Groups and Sith working together would be awesome.

Outbound Flight II?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Have a Jedi/Sith team maybe with a token Vong or two try to trace back to the Vong Galaxy or make extragalactic contact.

I guess then they would have change it from Galaxy to Galaxies Far Far Away but I would be cool with that.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    As I said before the EU was best when it was ambitious, I strongly doubt they will ever do something like the Vong Invasion or Legacy or DOTJ ever again.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe run into the Abominor and Silentium.

Maybe some alternate realities perhaps?

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That would have been intriguing as well, so many what if scenarios to explore, also roles reversed, what if the Sith were perceived as the good guys and the Jedi a force of stagnation, or perhaps a mirror universe situation like Star Trek-I would beg like a dog to see legends characters get to meet their evil counterparts...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The old EU had tons of potential time periods to cover. From way, way distant past of Dawn of the Jedi to still long, long, long time ago with TotJ/KotOR/TOR to the prequel era, OT era, then post-RotJ. I still wish the Legacy comics had been set 200 years post-RotJ rather than just 100, so that the galaxy could had have more quiet years (from Ruusan to the prequels it was mostly quiet).

Not to mention the One Sith plotting while Luke's alive. With LotF and FotJ it seems like they were already starting to get really active even during those years. Which is why Krayt's appearance in Apocalypse was so stupid. It'd be like Sidious calling up the Jedi Council during the Clone Wars to mock them then hang up. There are ways to write around that (a trick by Dooku), but its a really stupid, unnecessary event that ruins the whole "secret Sith" thing. Especially since a lot of FotJ had already been trying to set up an alliance between Luke and the Lost Tribe due to their common enemy in Abeloth (since not like the Jedi on Coruscant could accomplish anything but sit in the Temple and be ambushed by Mandalorians twice). All those attempts at working together failed because the Tribe Sith are too stupid and greedy to work for the greater good, including what's her name, Vestara, so it all just ends badly. Which is why I didn't expect a Sword of the Jedi trilogy by Golden to be an improvement on FotJ.

I wouldn't have minded if someday the timeline had gone even further past the Legacy comics, but it wasn't necessary. Heck, even in the last few years of the old EU the past still had plenty of stories to tell, like Kerra Holt's battles with Lord Daiman, creator of the universe. [face_laugh]

I wouldn't say LotF was a homage to the OT, but rather was attempting to rip off the prequels' story (they couldn't come up with a better name than Confederation? :rolleyes: ). And the whole "evil son" thing is just kind of a common story cliche. Though it usually comes off more like bad fanfiction, which LotF kind of qualifies as (particularly given several authors' pet characters). TFA... well, that's a whole other debate.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Krayt-I don't like that part of Apocalypse in my head canon he decided to abandon stasis to defeat Abeloth, also remember when he tells Luke "basically you don't anything about me or my plans and Sith hahaha." It could be seen as a subtle way he's taunting Luke and his Jedi. Also when he is near the temple, a Jedi senses his dark aurora and he's like "not yet..." Basically he was dealing with a new threat and taunting the Jedi at the same time in an overt yet subtle manner.

As for LOTF-I am a Jacen fan from beginning to end, in spite of it all I think it could work. There is a fanfic by the name of Only Right I believe-it's on FF.net and I believe it was posted on these boards-it justified the whole plot for me and gave a satisfying ending to legends the same-spoiler alert, Caedus takes Ben as his apprentice-Caedus wins-eventually Caedus dies then is redeemed then becomes quite literally God with Ben staggering of seeking a new life.

I don't think canon had to end like that-but what grates me most is I got more satisfaction reading that wonderful fanfic-IMHO the best Star Wars fanfic period than I did finishing canon

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Legacy being 200 years after the movies, NJO era Jedi names being used in the comic, a descendant of Hett, etc.

A universe where Palpatine didn't take over, a universe where the Vong won, a universe where someone who died in the main universe, lived and vice-versa.

The old EU had so much potential. Sad to see it all gone.