main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books "Sword of the Jedi" trilogy would be over by now...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    That is exactly why I am depressed over the future of Star Wars.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh well. We have fan-fic. Plenty of great stories left to be told.

3. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    The novelization even reinforces that. From the chapter break where she tells Finn she thought Luke was a myth:

Finn gaped at the girl. Was she serious? It was true that Jakku was a backwater world, but still...
    "Really?" was all he could think of to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Ahh. I have the TFA book but havn't read it yet. I like reading brand new stories. Heard the novel doesn't really add a whole lot either.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I heard that a picture of the TFA novelization will be included next to the word "skippable" in future editions of Webster's Dictionary. Or possibly next to "pointless;" they haven't decided yet.

It's true that the EU still had a lot of potential, but considering that we were getting garbage like Dawn of the Jedi and Legacy Volume II from Dark Horse and even hotter garbage like Fate of the Jedi from Del Rey, I'm not confident that any of that potential would have actually been realized. I mentioned it before in this thread, but Allston's final novel was a harbinger --- the death of the EU ended up being a mercy kill.

6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, I loved that series, too (although I still need to read the second and third graphic novels). I've recently started collecting the Knight Errant trade paperbacks and am remembering why I wished that they had done more with it than one short story, three graphic novels, and a prose novel.

So, you mean like "what if" stuff, like they did with the Infinity comics? Maybe I'd go for that.

Well, it ran for nearly, what, thirty-some years, and created an interconnected timeline that spanned thousands of years built across different medias? I think Legends did live up to its potential.

I am reminded of an old Dr. Seuss quote: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." I can get that people are disappointed that it's been put on the shelf, but maybe the time has come focus on the good that it did and why we still like it, even though it's no longer part of "reality?"

I've read all the TFA novelizations to date. They do add some extra details, backstory, and info, so they're not really pointless. I will say that the jr. novel, by Michael Kogge is the best, and would argue it's a must-read.

(The adult one, by Alan Dean Foster, adds a lot of Resistance material that was happening in the early parts of the movie, and even has some very important tidbits about the finale on Starkiller Base. The Rey's Story jr. novels is probably the most skippable, but it does retell the movie in a very interesting way.)

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I am dreaming of a better world where the EU continued, Denning's pernicious influence never existed and everything was made right.

8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    For me it would be a world in which Anakin and Jacen Solo and some others would be still alive.... :)

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Anedon there is a fanfic called Only Right by an author known as Adahn-I wholeheartedly recommend it to you. It is how legends should have ended.

10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thank´s I will check that one out. :)
    I´ve written one myself beginning after LoF with Jacen alive.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish Dawn of The Jedi had been written in 2003. That way it could capitalize on KOTOR's popularity and have a long run and Xendor would be the founder of the Sith like he was supposed to be until 2005.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't mind Xendor being around 18,000 thousand years prior, it gives a sense of eternality that the Jedi have fought dark side schismatics prior to the Sith.

13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    My dream-better-world basically branches off from reality after 2005. Better post-NJO, and diving headfirst into the Dark Times instead of doing Clone Wars retreads for almost a decade.

Yeah. I don't mind the Jedi fighting dark siders - I just wish they weren't almost always Sith.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well Xendor wasn't :)

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A Destiny Altered by An Orgami Fish was very good.

I so wish that TCW was a Dark Times series. I like Rebels and all but the momentum was lost years ago imo.

Non-Sith threats would be nice.

I still have plenty of EU stories to collect, so its not over yet. And there are many more thousands of years of stories left to be told.

Actual alternate realities where the main EU characters end up in and have to make their way back from.

The NEU has a lot of potential but TFA leaves a lot to be desired. Start over just to jump back to the mess that is LOTF? No thanks.

The EU has been part of my frame of reference for so many years that I just can't fully let all of that knowledge go.
    So everything new from the NEU or similarities between the NEU and EU just jars me. Doesn't work for me. I'll accept NEU characters, planets, ships, groups, etc in the old EU but full on reworking of characters backstories? Not a chance.

There is fan-fic at least. Make my own story.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    If I haven't warmed up to the ST by the time it's done I doubt I will continue to invest that much emotionally and financially in Star Wars. The EU was just so amazing-the only fictional world that surpasses it is LOTR-and that's because Tolkien is the master. However Tolkien is dead(may he rest in peace) and the legendarium left standing, the EU ideally could have continued for decades continually expanding continually getting richer.

All of that came to...nothing.

Darthmaul208 and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I have the NJO series as my ST, so my fandom is not riding on TFA and sequels being the main story after ROTJ.

The other books and comics will probably keep me entertained even if TFA and sequels aren't as liked by me.

Havoc123 likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I honestly just want Legends back, I don't care that much about the ST or the NuCanon, I just want Legends back.

19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Even in KOTOR wasn't Ajunta Pall supposed to be the first Jedi-turned-Sith?

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    KOTOR only said that Ajunta Pall was part of the group of Jedi who started the Sith, never that he was their leader.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    In Legends Canon though wasn't he basically the head honcho among the exiles? Or was that Xoxaan?

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Legends sources published after KOTOR made Pall the leader of the exiles, but it was never stated in KOTOR itself.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wish they had explored that era more thoroughly-the birth of the Sith, that period in the republic, various Jedi, I think it was cool era for stories.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Depends on how much enthusiasm there is-on the fanfic part of the boards I wrote I pretty exhaustive wish list.

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I don't know how giving credence to the false notion that Legends was fan fiction helps matters.