main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Swords and Scabards For a play

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Patriotspride, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patriotspride

Patriotspride Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    I am the prop director for a play and I need to know how to make swords and scabards for cheap they dont have to be to acurate and they dont have to be metal.So im not real sure how to make them out of wood.So any ideas would be apriceated.

Patriots Pride

2. McLean

McLean Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    i made a sword before out of some wood(35in.L x 2in.W x 3/4in. D) by plaining(with an electric plainer) the edges down to the correct shrpness down to a certain point in the sword(about 9in. because you want the handle and blade to be one piece), bent thin strips of metal(probably aluminum)and placed them on the edges(for the correct sword sound), and covered it in aluminum tape( you can get it at any hardware store)making it look very realistic. then you carve the side things above the handle(sorry im not very up on my sword lingo) and then attached them. then you cover the handle in black hockey tape, or if your going for the full metal sword look,in aluminum tape. Just make sure you dont have any weak spots on the sword( like where the handle meets the blade.) thats how i make my swords and they look wonderful. sorry if my instructions are confusing, I always seem to forget things because i've already done it.Im curious, what play are you doing?(I also do props for plays).

3. Patriotspride

Oct 22, 2003
    Thanks for the help Mclean. But I was wondering the measurment of your sword does it include the handle?And also what type of wood did you start with?Any way thanks for the info I plan to begin as soon as I can find the wood.Also Does any one have any ideas for scabards??

P.S The Play we are doing is a version of The Sword In the stone.

4. McLean

McLean Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    my sword was about 35 in. total but that really depends on who's using it. the blade and handle are all the same piece and youll have to cut the shape of the handle out of the bottom of the board.Basicaly model a sword out of that piece of wood(without the handle guards) Then from a seperate peace, cut out the handle guards and glue/ nail/ screw them on. Also if this doesnt help, most librarys carry books on prop making and most have ways to create swords(although some are kind of old) oh ya, use the cheapest wood you can find(that you dont think will break. Actors are MONSTERS when it comes to handeling props :) and for the play choice, youll definetly want to do my sword style. a piece of folded over sheet metal wouldnt do justice for the sword and the stone. and for the scabbard, youll probably want to find a book on props. theyll probably teach you a cost effective methode using felt or somthing. If you can, Id like to see picks of your sword when your done. I hope your play goes well!

5. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    Manley toys makes some good, but short, toy swords. If length doesn't matter, hey hey! but you'll probly want to go the wood or leaf spring route.

Only do the leaf spring method if you have access to a shop.

\__Will__/

6. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Just make sure the actors know that real swords of that type are supposed to be super heavy. So no one handed fighting, and they kinda 'heaved' the sword around. Once it was swinging there was no stopping it.

7. Patriotspride

Oct 22, 2003
    Thanks A ton for the help and Ill post picks as soon as its done.

Patriotspride

8. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    So you went the wood route then?

\__Will__/

9. Patriotspride

Oct 22, 2003
    Yes I went the wood route and As soon as I find all the materials I will begin construction.I am going to post pics as soon as the sword begins to take shape.

Thanks again!
    Patriotspride

P.S If any one has more tips they are always apriciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.