main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Swords & Swordplay etc

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Really? I've got a nice little hole I need in my wall that's been a bitch to try and drill, could you drop over and fix it up for me? :D :D :D

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i was scrolling through each persons post thinking, good, they haven't made the katana joke and then..... smh

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have been training in the use of a katana for the past 4 years now.

I am in the back, seventh from the right.

[​IMG]

Fun filled days of cutting are very enjoyable.

[​IMG]

My daughter is learning as well. :)

[​IMG]

4. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Sarge, Mikaboshi, and VadersLaMent? You are inspirations!

I have no formal training with swords! I think I always loved swashbuckling weapons after seeing Star Wars the first time, but I didn't really take an interest until
    after seeing the Highlander movie! And thus my informal training began by watching that movie wherein the swashbuckling isn't even that great, or realistic.
    Needless to say, with a sword in hand, I'm nearly defenseless.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    It is a lot of fun, the hard part is just taking the first step.

PS: You look like Prince. :p

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Dem's fightin' woids!
    Throw a gauntlet in his face, Prince! Errr, I mean, Aegon! If you don't give him what for, you're not a man! [face_phbbbbt] ;)

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  7. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    So stubborn
    hnnnngghh

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I have black belt in the traditional karate (Kobudo) weapons which does not cover sword but as a martial arts/weapons nerd I've picked up a thing or two.

The only swords I actually own are a 160 year old tulwar and a training gladius (heavy as hell).

rumsmuggler and Sarge like this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Zapdos what are you saying

10. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    You think about it

Darth_Invidious and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've always thought how awesome it would be for there to be a sword vs. chainsaw fight. It'd be utterly horrific but also hilarious.

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Confusion,
    Wash o'er me
    R B U'
    B' R D

13. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    Will you let me know when you've completed the sequence?

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'll take any sword over a chainsaw. Chainsaws are heavy, clumsy, and not at all suited for fighting. Anyone who knows how to use a sword would cut a chainsaw wielder to pieces.

rumsmuggler and Mikaboshi like this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I am trying my hardest every day. But sometimes it feels hopeless.

16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

In all fairness...he does kinda look like Prince. Personally I think Prince is pretty cool for a midget.

17. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Being from Minneapolis, I think rather highly of Prince.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well since the rumsmuggler reference has already been made, I guess I have no choice but to seriously reply to the topic....

I've only got three swords myself: a replica gladius, a training sabre, and a competitive sabre. I also have a US Navy officer's sabre miniature letter opener made by the same folks who make the real thing, but that doesn't count. I prefer the more elegant or ornamental swords myself, so that's usually either 18th/19th century ceremonial officer's swords or renaissance style swept hilt rapiers. Fencing sabres are fun too, if rather utilitarian. Sadly it seems most officers' sabres these days are pretty plain too, with the exception of the Royal Navy's.

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    *ahem* The correct invocation of trial by combat in the English tradition is to hurl a leather gauntlet to the floor of the court after declaring yourself "Not guilty, and prepared to defend so by my body."

Either that, or slap the guy across the face with the gauntlet. :D

Aegon Starcaster and Sarge like this.
  20. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Oh yeah, I also have a Malaysian Keris that also dates roughly 160 years old but that's more of a long dagger.

Abadacus, Aegon Starcaster and Sarge like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    OK, all of you know the rules: Pics, or you don't have anything! Hey, I didn't make that rule, I just live by it.
    Well, when I want to.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I have a sword (katana? **** if I know) that my grandfather took from the body of a Japanese officer. ...Actually, he got it after the war when he was part of the occupation force. It's clearly a genuine sword and the blade is in good shape, but the scabbard and handle are plain and look like they may have been mutilated in order to remove any identifying markings. So I don't know for sure if it ever actually belonged to anyone or if it was just one of those novelties that locals would sell to GI's (though like I said, it's clearly a real sword). Maybe I'll get someone who knows anything to look at it some day.

And maybe I'll take a photo of it when I'm not feeling lazy... and if I remember where it is.

Mikaboshi, Aegon Starcaster and Sarge like this.
  23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    As I understood it, most of the katana carried by Japanese officers during WW2 weren't genuine back-to-the-days-of-the-Meiji-Restoration weapons; those items are very, very rare -- we're talking in the six figure range or so for a genuine medieval piece. By the point in World War 2 when hundreds of Japanese officers were each carrying one of those things, they were generally making the blades in mass production, not infrequently out of recycled tin cans and other "inferior" steel. In terms of use they had roughly the equivalent function of a dress sword on a US Naval officer. On very few isolated occasions it was used in hand-to-hand combat, but that wasn't really it's function. It was more frequently used to behead Allied prisoners of war -- to save ammunition -- than it was ever really used in combat.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, I know it's not medieval and the blade was primarily ceremonial. What I meant by "genuine" is that it's not a toy or something.

Saintheart likes this.
  25. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    On the other hand, I've read that WWII katanas, while mass produced, were made to exact specifications and quality standards, including stress tests because they were meant to be used in defense of the country. There's video of mass exercises in sword work as they got ready.
    Of course that's no use against rifle wielding GI's but it's similar to when pikes were distributed at the start of the American Revolution because there weren't enough guns.

I'm sure as resources became increasingly rare they started using anything they could get there hands on.