main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Swords & Swordplay etc

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Jul 29, 2013.

1. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Sarge my motto is: 'if brute force doesn't work, you simply aren't using enough'

Kiki-Gonn, SergeyX2017 and Sarge like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In aircraft maintenance, if a part wouldn't fit the expression was "get a bigger hammer."

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I prefer to shoot at the nails with my guns than use a hammer.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    You're a good guy to ask Sarge...

In doing research for my book I learned that (apparently) flails were popular with sailors in ship to ship combat.
    I mean both slungshots and actual rods connected by a rope varieties. That seems crazy to me, wouldn't they get caught in the rigging and whatnot? Seem more like open space weapons. The caveat is the slungshot just makes too much sense because they were so good at making things with rope. Easy way to arm yourself for battle if you had no have cutlass, boarding axe, etc.

yeurgh likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Kiki-Gonn, I read a novel once set in the War of 1812, a very well-researched novel, that had one character, the captain of a French privateer who used a flail in boarding actions. It was described as short metal bars connected by chain links. The hero of the story was skeptical about how well it would work with rigging, spars, crew, and everything else in the way. IIRC, there was also a reference to it being more popular in earlier years. That exhausts my knowledge of the subject.

I'll just say that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near somebody using a flail in a boarding action, whether he's on my side or not.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  8. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    [face_laugh]

Now the archery club can shoot outdoors in daylight, I'm hoping to have a go with a warbow. I've also got my eye on a hunting recurve bow as a practical 'every day' option, especially through the winter.

Still learning about swords, hoping to try some out at events over the summer.

[​IMG]

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've got one of the Oakeshott books, but I find when I go to museums and look at the swords it can be surprisingly difficult to identify which Oakeshott type they are - partly because I always want to see a cross-section of the blade, partly because some swords just don't fit neatly into one typology or the other.

Got a nice book on Viking swords too - surprising to me to find that single-bladed swords were pretty common in the Vikings civilisation. I don't think I've ever seen one on-screen. Sometimes I think tv lies to us!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, Oakeshott's classifications aren't 100% precise, IMO. More what you'd call guidelines. Good guidelines, but there's so much variety among swords that many won't fit neatly into one category.

Iron_lord, yeurgh and soitscometothis like this.
  11. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Archery was cancelled, would've been the first outdoor shoot of the year :-(

Ah well, I can look at swords instead. Definitely paying a visit to the Wallace Collection next time I'm in London. I've been before to see their Titian (Perseus & Andromeda) but they have a huge collection of arms & armour.

[​IMG]

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wish I knew how they got to this point. That is not a normal position in SCA combat.

[​IMG]

13. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Perhaps you speak of the Karoling sword? Those were developed in France in VI century, I believe, adapted from there by Scandinavians, Vikings, and later also in Russia.

Some varieties were indeed single edged
    [​IMG]
    :)

14. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I own four swords.

I have two katanas. One is just a cheap, non-sharpened, stainless steel wall hanger. The other is a legit sharpened carbon steel one, though not that high end or anything.

I also have two movie replica swords. One is sting from lord of the rings. It's not an official replica, but it looks pretty darn close. My other replica is Peter's sword from the Narnia movies. That one IS an official replica from Master Replicas no less. It's also carbon steel which is a nice plus, though it's not sharpened. That's definitely my favorite sword in my collection. I looked on ebay for years to find a good deal on it and finally did a few years back.

If anyone wants to see any of the four I can post pictures another day.

15. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Definately post your katanas, I have one also, there are pics earlier in this thread, on previous page, would love to compare :)

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    yeurgh, you need to be careful when practicing archery on windy days.

[​IMG]

17. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Must be my coworker, he shoots 700+ grain arrows from a 104lb draw bow. :eek:

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    This is an SCA map of The Knowne Worlde.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Though I appreciate a variety of sword-styles, the crusade era sword is where my heart lies. It's what I think of when I think of a sword. Disc (or wheel) pommel, double-edged blade with a fuller, simple guard - it's what I loved as a kid watching movies about knights in armour. Though I came to appreciate the beauty of the katana (through Highlander, of all things) and have developed an appreciation of sabres and rapiers, that whole King Arthur imagery is pretty deeply ingrained.

Anyone else have a favourite sword-style/category?

Sarge Thought of you the other day as I walked down the road and became aware of the sound of a helicopter over my mp3 player's music - I looked around to see where it was coming from and found it almost directly overhead. Those Apache Logbow are surprisingly quiet beasts compared to the noise other, less aggressive helicopters generate.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    One of my best friends owns a pretty successful business building replica swords for medieval fencing. I've seen him fighting a couple of times, and it's pretty fun.

poor yorick and Sarge like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Swords are fine and all, but nothing beats a chainsaw when cleaning up a room full of unwanted deadites.

23. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999

Ok here's a picture of all four of my swords together. You can clearly see the difference in quality between the "wall hanger" katana and the "real" katana.

[​IMG]

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    E. L.Knight likes this.
  25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    It will cut. "Forged With Fire"

Jedi_Goulden_25 and Sarge like this.