1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:WA Swordy goodness

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Hmm, I was sure I saw a thread for the fan film somewhere around here...
  2. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    SoE, put an unban request through already. Considering how many people they ban a day, they're not likely to want to remember you. :p
  3. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I sent an email to Empire

at the moment they say they have the following in stock.

1. Striders Elvish Knife $385.
    2. Gandalfs Sword Glamdring $485.
    3. Sword Of Strider $485.
    4. Staff Of Sauraman $275.

If they still have them when I get to Perth I'd be very interested in getting either Glamdring or the Sword of Strider I think.
  4. Master_Kaustin Jedi Knight

star 3
    S_o_E:

Hawk i've put in four already ;)
    One of my previous bans, I think it was my 8th, I had to wait an extra 2 weeks on my ban because they forgot to unban me...despite the ammount of unban request forms I filled out.
  5. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    Aztek, quite often you can find the officially licensed swords on eBay for really cheap. There used to be a guy that was selling them under odd named (Freddo's sword String for example) but they were still the United Cutlery swords. And for a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them from shops. Have a good look around, you might be suprised.
  6. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    Thats not a bad idea FA, I did see a couple on there but the person selling only had about 4 transactions under his belt and I'm not sure if I want to send $300 bucks to someone I don't quite trust.

Will keep looking though.

Does anyone know where I can buy the one ring from ? Either in Perth or on the net.
  7. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Dunno about the One Ring, but the guys you're looking for on EBay have the userid "blade-factory". They aren't posting up their swords under the "Freddo sword string" moniker anymore--look for references to Gimli's axe; that's going for $100.00 Australian. My Strider Ranger sword set me back $200 (after winning the auction) and Theoden's sword was $55.00 (bought under the "Buy it now" option. (NB neither of these prices take postage into account.)
  8. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    55 dollars for Theodon's sword?
    GEEZ!

9. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I had a look at that user Saint, bit concerned that none of the stuff he is selling is licensed. Although he seems to be using the pics from the united cutlery website.

For all we know he could be making the stuff himself in his shed.

Have you received any of the stuff you bought yet ?
  10. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Got my eBay confirmation on Friday that it's been posted. I'll update as soon as I have it. They've got a pretty good track record from their buyers by the look of it, though.

As for the licensing question, well, as I understand it's the same maker and same sword; the only difference is that Blade Factory can't put an official tag on it to say it's official LOTR merchandise, because United Cutlery has the contract. You pay for the licensing if you buy the United Cutlery version, and maybe the resale value would be more if you've got a pretty box with lots of LOTR pictures and blurb (which must also be kept intact for top sale price, of course) but I don't plan on selling them...and my standards aren't that high.

But the proof of the pudding will doubtless be when I pick them up. I'll keep everyone posted ;)
  11. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Hey get some security Saint...I want those swords and I know where you live...actually, no I don't.
  12. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Okay...I picked them up on Friday. And I'm overall satisfied for the price, though there are some nitpicks.

So let's talk reviews. First, they aren't the genuine United Cutlery article; they're a couple of Pakistan-made copies by the look of it (and the Ranger sword in fact has the word 'pakistan' printed in small type on one side, which was kind of a giveaway) :D I haven't gone to Empire to actually test out the feel of the genuine articles compared to these, but I was able at least to eye off Strider's sword in Empire last weekend.

As far as look goes, the two of them are pretty close. There isn't much that, to the naked eye, you could discern about them which is different from the original sword in each case. Whoever ripped off the quillion design from UC did a good job; Strider's sword has a close-to-correct look about it, and the wall plaque is about right as well. The steel involved is some kind of BS stainless steel that wobbles a bit when you swing it, but it looks nice, and I'll get to the feel later on. I'd say B+ for the look, if the UC original is an A.

Theoden's sword is a damn big bugger. Watching the movie I'd more or less expected something the length and width of a gladius, since that's basically the style of weaponry indicated in LOTR. This thing is about three-quarters the length of Strider's sword and twice as wide at least. It has two fullers down the centre; one has an irritating little swerve off to one side before it gets back on track. Maybe Al-Qaida set off a bomb at the moment the guy was grinding it, I don't know ;) Also, the thing's some kind of chromeplate over iron, I think, and on the edges the chroming was a bit patchy. I might have to try and bog it up with silver model paint. For some reason the company didn't bother to put it a wall mount, but instead threw in an unadorned leather sheath and a very dodgy "One Ring" ripoff that doesn't fool the eye for one second. I presume this was a bribe to keep me from writing back. I'd say it worked. C+ for look.

As for the feel of each weapon, there's good and bad about it. Strider's sword is surprisingly well balanced, and feels pretty light and quick in the hand. That probably has something to do with the steel used. It's certainly good enough to train solo with, which essentially is the second reason I wanted these swords in the first place. A grade for balance.

Theoden's sword is damn heavy. Forget about balance; there's a lot of weight in the blade and the 'quillions', and there just isn't any counterbalance in the pommel at all; the weapon's constructed as a one-hander, a gladius design with basically a two-handed sword's weight on the blade. If the original blade felt like this in Theoden/Bernard Hill's hand, I'm not at all surprised he raised it with both hands when he was going to chop Grima/Brad Dourif's head off--it needs both hands to wield in hand-to-hand combat. I rationalise it, though, like this: Theoden's people fought primarily from horseback, and in a mounted charge all you can really do with a sword is either throw it (not a good idea) or just swing it either side of your horse. This thing would be suited to a cavalry charge; get this thing swinging in one hand, combine it with a galloping horse, and you really don't want to get in its way. It's one nasty big hunk of metal. I give it a C+ for balance because the design fits in logically for me with its purpose; but for the casual collector, it'd doubtless feel very heavy and unbalanced in the hand.

So there you go. Good and bad. I'm happy; but don't buy these swords or use this dealer if you're looking for the UC originals, because these ain't it, though the Strider sword does come pretty close.
  13. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    Which seller did you go through?
  14. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I think he said which dealer in one of his earlier posts
  15. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I was in Empire yesterday having a look actually.
    They still have Glamdring, Narsil and the sword of strider in stock, very tempting.

Also love the new store, have not been into empire since they were underground, much better layout now I think.
  16. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    SOE: "I think he said which dealer in one of his earlier posts"
    He mentioned Blade Factory, but that doesn't mean that that's the seller he went though. He could just have been responding to my telling Aztek about that seller but not knowing the name.

Aztek: Is it bigger in Empire now? Or was the old store bigger? I haven't been in Empire for years.
  17. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Nah, it was blade factory. Methinks slightly misleading advertising is going on; they are indeed using the pictures from the UC website, but the actual weaponry is a bit different (I think).

They are actually growing on me, to be honest. :D
  18. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the store is roughly the same size as the old one but set out much differently.

I've been told that if we don't spend too much during the school holidays I can buy one of the swords before we go back to the bush in about five weeks. Just have to make sure we don't deplete the fundage in the next five weeks.

Does anyone know about bringing swords and such back from interstate, or would it be best to buy over there and mail back ?
  19. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Yeah I've bought a few swords from the easter states. No worries getting them through the mail at all.
    Just remember you can't buy any type of weapons from Melbourne without a licsence.
  20. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    Going to get something when I go to Sydney in a few months, wondering if I could bring back on plane, in luggage maybe or if it would be best to mail.
  21. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Uhm I'm more than certain you can take them with you...but better check with customs first. Give them a call or something.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.