main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWTCG House Rules

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Bacabachaui, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Has anyone tried playing SWTCG with "house rules"?
    One of the things I have tried are using an automatic 6 Build Points per turn (no roll) and drawing 2 cards per turn as well (so you dont run out of cards with the 6 BP)
    It turns out to be pretty fun but makes for a very long game.
    I've thought of trying some games without following the deckbuilding rules or adding more force per turn but have not yet done so.
    Mostly, I have found the game to be best "as is", but it is still fun to play around with.
    Any other House rules out there?

2. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    Here is a format that I like that I saw on one of the websites around here:

"Triple Deck Duel

This is played largely the same as a standard game, with one very important twist: each side is represented by three players, each playing a 60-card deck focused on a single arena. Play until one team has dominated two of the arenas, but if a player's arena is wiped out, he may still continue to play.

The four-card rule still applies, but now each deck can only have units of one type, rounded out with missions and battle cards. Setup is now 30 points in each arena. The build point roll total is for all players, and force is gained separately. All players of the same alignment setup, build, and retreat at the same time.

In the spirit of team play, any card whose text says "you" or "your" and targets a specific unit is instead read as "your team". Arena-specific effects (Ex: R2D2) can be used on your teammates. Resource affecting abilities (build points, force points, or cards) can only be played on one specific opponent or teammate, specified at the time the ability is triggered, which may be changed with separate activations."

I think it is pretty cool and could be a neat format when you have abunch of people

3. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Hmmm....
    A party game format. Me likes, me likes.
    I just might try it because I was at a picnic this weekend playing and all these people were watching us play and we could have had a huge game!

That was one of the great things about JKTCG, it was multiplayer.

I think I have heard WotC hint that SWTCG would be "offically" multiplayer in the future. It wasn't so much as said as it was implied. Something to the effect of "At this time it is not multiplayer" was said about this subject.

4. Darksbane

Feb 9, 2002
    I really think multiplayer would be easy to add to this game. All they have to do is create another icon and BAM you have another faction. The only thing you would have to determine is who wins ties in what order, and they could just print that in the rule book.

5. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    (Baca opens can of worms) For the fourth icon, how about the Vong?

6. Darksbane

Feb 9, 2002
    Uggg, anything but the Vong. I'm sorry they just have never clicked with me.

7. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    (Baca closes can of worms) :)

Well there is always 3 sided multiplayer, with the Indy cards.

8. netcowboy

netcowboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2002
    You know, I still have only played the game about 5 times. I wish one of you guys lived nearer. Okay, that's all of me whining for now. Can't whine on my own board, y'know. Wouldn't be seemly.

9. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Want to play online? I'm game (pun intended)

10. netcowboy

netcowboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2002
    You mean, like Apprentice? I'm an apprentice at Apprentice (pun intended)

11. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Yes! Apprentice rules!

I'll PM you for a time we can meet and play.

You have Apprentice installed?

12. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    My friend and I just came up with another variation. We played this yesterday.

We get out all our cards and lay them out in the 3 arenas. Then we have all our Battle and Mission cards in our hands and give ourselves unlimited force and build points. Then we just go through the battle and untapping phases over and over.

It seems a little skewed to do this with the unlimited Force and BP, but it works because we both have it and then it just becomes a matter of how skillfully you time the playing of the cards you have.

If we have duplicate unique cards, like 3 Anakin A's that we cannot stack for instance, they just wait on the sidelines until another one dies then they come on in at the beginning of the next battle.

It was pretty fun and made for an interesting game. Lots of stuff to keep track of like the bonuses cards in other arneas give each other, but it was fun.

13. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I use that automatic six build points and it doesn't really make the game much faster. I've never thought of using 'draw an extra card' but I don't think there is really a need because of all the cards out there that allow you to draw extra ones. A couple of house rules. I'll start with multiplayer.

Multiplayer game
    1) Coopertive, you have two teams of two (the teams could be larger but just make sure they're even) one team is dark side the other is light side. At the begining you decide order of turn so that you have a DS player goes first then a LS player then the next DS player and the next LS player etc. Use this order when building at the beginning and for any ties. (DS still goes first no matter what) All other rules are the same

2) VS, played exatly the same way as single player with as many people as you want. Any time some one looses in two arenas they are out of the game. Continue this way until there is one victor. in case of ties the one with higher force points goes. (if this is tied to than just flip a coin or throw a die)

Regular play
    I got an awesome idea that came from a mixture of something my cousin said and also from playing the game Battletech. To make the game a little bit longer and add more strategy to it. The only difference would be that you only win if you take over two of your opponents arena while they DON'T have any units being built. are in the under construction zone. (this counts for retreated cards only if the card that has been retreated is from one of the two arenas that have been conqured)

However you could have mission cards and special abilities (sabatage for instance) that lets you destroy these cards. I am wanting to send this suggestion to Wizards but I'll proabably just try to make some cards of my own that'll do this and make them available for download. What do you guys think? would it make the game more intresting and strategic?

14. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Hmmm...
    Multiplayer seems OK, just like a 2 player, but at least more can be involved.

The other idea, about having cards in the build zone is pretty good. I may try that. I think it would be better to add a rule or step than try to make a special card for it though, since the modification would modify the game rules as well.

15. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    when I first started playing this game before I built any decks I had divided the cards up in to light and dark side .my wife and I would play by the rules except we would roll a 12 sided die or two sixes for build points. the other thing we did was we would just take the stack of light or dark cards around 120 of each and shuffle then set the stack on the table and play off the top of it. play as normal but when the game was over you discarded all cards on the table and in your hand , you didnt reshuffle them in to the deck. it was fun and we would play for hours with out "stratage" being a deciding factor. we wernt waiting to draw a sertin card to play with what was on the feild already. and you knew as soon as you used the second yoda that was it he wasnt coming back around.

oh yea and house rules realy means MAMA ALWAYS WINS

16. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    what the hell is apprentice? if its an online tcg then id love to get it, tell me where and what please.

17. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Apprentice is an Online program to play the TCG. It was designed for Magic originally but someone made a patch for SWTCG and it looks real cool and works well. It takes some setting up though, not much. Go here to get it and let me know if you find it in that site. If not, I can email it to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.