SWTCG: One Year Later

Discussion in 'Games: TCG' started by Bacabachaui, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well, it's either more than a year or not quite a year yet, depending if you go by the announcement date or the actual release date. But for my 1000th post, I thought I would get sentimental and start a little history here. Approximately one month after the announcement about the new TCG, I saw a post here on the CCG board from Darth Ludicrous about a Star Wars Insider article about the new TCG game. I was extremely interested and stopped being a lurker here and decided to post. I had to register a new name because I couldn't even remember the name I had already registered months earlier. Here is my first post back in January 2002.

Well the game was an unknown back then and there was a lot of opposition. A lot. Many said it was doomed to fail, etc etc.

Here we are about one year later and despite the "uphill battle" so to speak, the game has grown and overcome many obstacles. While it hasn't been an overwhelming success by Pokemon standards, it is continuing to gain popularity and has a dedicated fan base that is also growing all the time. There is already talk about SWTCG being #2 next to Magic in terms of the "Big Games" WotC produces (since the demise of Pokemon).

We already have 4 expansions/sets and many more on the way. The fan base and internet community is buzzing about Battle of Yavin and the huge impact this set is having. Jedi Guardians is next with what sounds like some pretty cool stuff judging by the snippets we can catch here and there. There is just nothing but exciting stuff coming on the horizon.

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to step back and kinda give a "State of the Union" type statement.

Feel free to add your own thoughts on this, and how you found SWTCG.
  2. Starkiller1 Jedi Padawan

I found SWTCG at a random Suncoast in a mall. It caught my eye and I looked at the package startled to find out it was made by WotC and NOT Decipher. Later on for my birthday my Dad bought me some of the cards and I started playing it and slowly got accustomed to the differences between the SWTCG and SWCCG, eventually coming to love the new game and appreciate its depth within its simplicity. I went looking online to see if anyone had started a website for the new game and found rebelbasers right off the bat, I've been posting there for quite some time now, and now at your behest at the Jedi temple board Baca, I have come to chat it up here as well.
  3. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice work Baca, i found the game through my friend scoot, he knew bout the game and knew i played CCG, so i went bought some cards, and bought more cards, and more cards, until i need a second anthology box to hold my cards (anthology boxes from CCG).

IMO the game is TOO addictive!! ;)
  4. Ketricel Jedi Padawan

Ya Starkillers story is similar to mine. I was walking around the mall and saw the packaging. I had never played any other CCG or TCG before so this was a first. Since it was Star Wars that imediatly caught my attention, so I went ahead and bought a LS and DS starter and the 2-Plyer Box. And then my money fund went down hill from there. I too was summoned by the great Baca from RebelBasers. Hope I find a good of home here as I have there. And good luck to everyone in thier SWTCG endevours.
  5. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    In my local SW Fan club, one guy (ASkywlkr, here) started picking up the TCG cards early on. I had read that Decipher lost the license to WotC. At the time, I knew that WotC had the SW RPG and had recently took over the Official Fan Club and Official SW on-line store. My first uninformed thought was, "great... another crappy SW-themed card game."

My trading card gaming background was mostly about 6-7 years ago in college. A buddy of mine (now a doctor, go figure) somehow, somewhere was introduced to Magic, but found its mechanics too complicated. After a brief once-over of the rules, he convinced me of the same. So, we started playing Spellfire instead. We found it easy and fun to play, but our interest waned within a couple of months.

With a nostalgic fondness for Star Wars, we both dived into the new (at the time) Decipher SW CCG. After sifting through the rules, we tried playing it over a couple of nights. We found that we had to keep going back to the rules over and over again. "What phase are we in? What do we do now?" It just seemed too unwieldy and not fun to play. After our disillusionment with the SW CCG, my buddy went back to Magic, oddly enough, and after actually playing the game, discovered we enjoyed playing it now! However, at this point I had invested in 2 games I didn't care for any longer, and didn't want it to happen a third time. I played using his cards for a while, then we dropped card games completely... except for my couple-times-a-year coin poker games with my friends.

May 2002. Celebration II in Indianapolis. I see Daniel Logan playing a sample of the game at a WotC demonstration. I scoff to my buddy as we breeze by.

So, June 2002 rolls around, and my Fan Club peer managed to get a couple other guys to pick up the cards. I saw them snatching up the random boosters from Wal Mart during a club roadtrip. At this point, no one had actually tried playing the game. ASkywlkr promised a demonstration at a future club meeting. Again, I scoffed.

July 2002... the club's first anniversary and we get a demo using the Starter set. It's the battle-phase-only setup, and ASkywlkr and FettsBounty play 2 rounds. Fettsbounty also seemed skeptical of the game, but willing to give it a go.

Once the demo was over, I was impressed, but still skeptical since I knew it was an abbreviated version of the game. After a few answered questions, I had enough encouragement to buy a Starter set and check it out on my own.

Now, 8 months and $500+ later, while not the player I'd like to be, I'm deeply addicted to the game. Family matters tend to keep me from playing the game in most regular competitions, but I get it in when I can. I playtest (solitaire) and deckbuild during my lunch hour at work and any "free time" at home. I've even sparked some interest in a few of my co-workers, but I doubt they'd get into it due to the wide variety and randomness of purchasing the game. When I do get to play against another person, I seem to do pretty well in "non-sanctioned" play, but only do mediocre in sanctioned play.

I regularly check Rebelbasers for chat and new insight into the game, so perhaps I can come here for more of that, too! I think it's worth it to keep the CCG chat separate from the TCG chat. (It's kinda what kept me away from regularly coming here.)

I'm jonesed for the ESB release and anxious to learn what the new card type is going to be this year. I have to say I'm a little less excited about the Jedi Guardians release, but perhaps pre-release info from WotC will change that.

Here's to the new SW:TCG boards, Baca! Cheers!
  6. superskrull2k2 SW Insider and Undefeated Magazine Editor

VIP
    The stories I could tell . . .

Real quick, I've been playing the SWTCG since about March 2002 (with proxy cards) mainly against the guys in WotC Customer Service (Bryan, Steve, Pat, and Matt Hyra). With the exception of the design team, we played more than anyone else had by the time the product was released. Having been a staunch supporter of the Decipher game (yet detracter of the poor card design and rulings), I was sad to see the license expire, but exciting to be in on the beginning of a new Star Wars game (again). The new game exceeded my expectations, and I've been just as hooked as I ever was on the SWCCG.

Congratulations to everyone at WotC for a job well done. I look forward to many more expansions.
  7. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    I should print out your first post and have it framed then try to sell copys of it.... :)
  8. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I hear they go on EBay for 1 cent. :D

I had forgotten I was asking DL to send me a copy of the article, because it was not out in stores yet and I was desperate. That was when I decided to get a subscription!
  9. JustSaber Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys! Just joined the board. I first played the starter game a month or so ago when my friend and played it. He got it for free with Bounty Hunter (hope my italics work :)), but we didn't play it for a couple of months. When we did, I went out and bought one. Then he bought boosters, so I bought boosters. Now I'm considering ordering a SR box and a BoY box. So that's my story.
  10. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Welcome to the board!

I always tell anyone getting into the game about Potomac.

You and your friend can get Sith Rising and Attack of the Clones boxes pretty cheap if you order together at their website. They sell SR and AotC booster boxes for $25 a piece. The catch is there is a $100 minimum order. But if you both get 1 of each box, you'll meet that. Shipping is free too. It is a great cheap way to get a good card base and to get hooked on the game! :)
  11. JustSaber Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks! I'm hoping my friend will go halves with me and we can split the order. (I really need a job! :))
  12. BobaFerret Jedi Padawan

I'm finally stumbling in here after Baca's request back at rebelbasers.

I was lucky enough to see the cards before the street date, and my first contribution was to help Darksbane complete the checklist (yes, I got cards early). I was pretty big into collecting and playing, but haven't played much in the past few months. I'd like to start at least collecting the cards again, and if I get the job I just applied for, I should be able to do that!

In any event, the main thing that ties me to the game is Starkiller's dream card contest at rebelbasers, since I make cards for the winners. But we've been thinking about another expansion along the lines of Moisture Farmer Rising... something with ... ???
  13. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hope you get the job!

I just realized that TODAY is exactly one year for the release date. Wow time flies.
  14. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate to brag and all but... I got my first packs of cards weeks before the game was released! Thats right I was one of the lucky people to stumble across card in my Wal-Mart two weeks before 4-23-01! I still have my recipt. When i got back to the card my moms like "You can't open thoses you'll spoil the movie!". But I did any way and got the card "Wedding of Destany" and of course spoiled the movie.

Ok I'm done bragging!
    SD-
  15. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Cool. That was driving me absolutely NUTS. I was waiting so long to get real cards and all these people all over were getting them early but NO ONE in my town was dumb enough to stock them early.
  16. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    NO ONE in my town was dumb enough to stock them early.

The thing about Maine is that Every One is dumb enough to stock them early :) Exept for me of course. If I worked at Wal Mart, I wouldn't bother stocking them, I'd just back door 'em all.
  17. total_regression Jedi Padawan

I can't understand why this game hasn't taken off even moreso than it is now! It is so much better than Decipher's CCG, in my humble opinion. :) So far, I couldn't be happier with what WotC has done with their SW licenses. I am as happy as a clam. :D
  18. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    People loved the CCG, and when they lost the liscence to WotC they hated the people who stole their game.

So people generally boycott the game, in a veign effort to satisfy their anger
  19. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    In my humble opinion, the Star Wars TCG just doesn't offer much to entice players away from Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic or Lord of the Rings TCGs. Say what you want about Decipher's CCG, it was unique and offered a lot more depth than the current TCG. That's not meant to be an insult to the TCG, merely an observation. Yes, the TCG has some depth to it, but nowhere near as much as Decipher's original CCG.

I played the original CCG for a few years. I was disappointed in the license situation, but I gave the new TCG a try. It's okay, but not as good as the original. I'm not "boycotting the game to satisfy my anger", I just don't like it enough to invest my time and money in it like I did the CCG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.