main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SWTOR Sith characters got better characterization than Jedi?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Malgus got better character development than Satele for now, sure she has potential. Darth Baras, Darth Jadus, Darth Zash and Thanaton all have very good characterization but the Jedi masters' are not that good.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, everyone knows that Jedi don't have a personality. (Thanks PT!)

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Orgus Din had potential, but he's only on-screen for a total of like ten minutes in the JK story. Or that's what it felt like at least, been awhile.

Esg likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    In a way, part of me wonders if it's because the Jedi player characters will be more remembered by the EU than the Sith player characters, which is why they've put more into the Sith NPCs than the Jedi NPCs?

After all, Malgus, Baras and Jadus all do things that still affect Republic characters, so in whatever the next Essential Chronology is, those are the Sith who will keep getting mentioned. Likewise, the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular both do important things like defeating the Emperor and his schemes, which Satele doesn't get to do because she's "just the NPC". In contrast, the Jedi NPCs... do what?

I'm Level 32, and my Inquisitor has had nothing to do with anybody important Republic side yet, and from what I've heard, the Sith quests are ultimately mostly about Sith killing other Sith, so future sourcebooks will talk more about "Zash was murdered by her apprentice" (I assume that happens, I'm not quite there yet :p), whereas Satele's future sourcebook will simply be "The Grand Master told the Jedi Knight what to do... [thrilling!]"

But, yes, whether that's the reason or not, I definitely agree that the Jedi seem to have been shortchanged when it comes to NPCs. Satele got so much limelight, then... nothing. I imagine it isn't helped by them killing Revan off, so not wanting to kill Satele off as well just yet, so she might suffer Malgus's fate in an expansion... but apart from her I can't even remember the names of any of the others like I can Jadus and Thanaton.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I mean, there's a ton of potential for Jedi Masters to have personality... I mean, you could've easily written some short-stories about the Masters in the KOTOR2 Council. Vrook perhaps a whole novel, or a novel saga. It could be called "The Grumpiness of Vrook Lamar" and be some sort of epic artsy thing.

Sinrebirth and Zorrixor like this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, Satele really got great potential if you play the Empire side, you can see it.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's true, she's entertaining as an antagonist in flashpoints whereas as a Jedi Knight (which is the only Jedi class I've played so far to interact with her at length), she sort of treats you as she might any other Jedi flunkie. I suppose it's the whole Jedi hierarchy thing that means they have to be serene and boring to their inferiors.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, the game does seem tilted towards better and more interesting Sith characterizations than Jedi, but then a lot of the game backstory seems slanted towards the Sith Empire (and while the immediate post-game situation seems to favor the Republic, I'm waiting for them to reverse all that).

While the Jedi Knight does eventually get to defeat the Emperor (or at least dealt him a major setback), I've only finished the Sith Warrior and only partway through with the Inquisitor, but the Sith Warrior is mostly busy killing rival Sith and dealing with "secret" Republic officers so publicly not much is seen.

Sometimes I wonder if its favoritism (since arguably they gave the Sith a lot of the better looking designs), and partially its just lack of imagination. The Jedi are quite close to a PT era rip-off (and I think the JK story is somewhat weak too, although I'm in the minority), so any eccentric Jedi are somewhat outcasts or not favored by the Jedi Council. And as mentioned in the original posts, a good deal of the time the Sith player character is working for their Sith boss (until its time to kill them of course) so there's a lot more interaction with the future boss character, compared to the Jedi interaction with their enemies, most of whom are just typical mwa-ha-ha.

Also its due to plots in motion. As Malgus tries to do something, such as set up a new Sith Empire, whereas Satele just hands out orders. The new Annihilation novel doesn't help her much in that regard either. It'd be nice to see more interesting Jedi, but then they'd have to move away from the prequel mold for the Republic and Jedi, whereas they got to set up their own version of the Sith Empire. Not sure if we ever see a full meeting of the Jedi Council compared to a meeting of most of the Dark Council.

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The most interesting Jedi in the game is Jun Seros, as a zealous crusader type of Jedi villain.

10. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I also think Nomen Karr is well developed.

But it still seems weird to me how much BETTER the Antagonists can be developed compared to the Allies.
    Only Vaowrawan get's to be interesting and maybe the Mado high ups.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And he also fall to the Dark Side.

Darth Tormen, Darth Severin, Thana and Darth Gravus are fine, too. You only fight Tormen(If you choose to)/Severin in the end.