main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Syal and Myri Fan Club: "You must be so proud."

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by imiller, Sep 8, 2012.

?

Syal or Myri?

1. Syal

26.5%
  2. Myri

38.2%
  3. Both

35.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Agreed! I think those would be awesome stories!

2. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I loved getting to see Syal in Betrayal, but not knowing it was Syal until further in. Loved it. Myri in Exile was fabulous too, I loved her style and her attitude. I want more! Antilles' sisters for the win!

imiller, thanks for this thread!

3. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Thank you, Katana, for joining in! Syal's struggles to find herself out of Wedge's shadow were initially annoying to me, but I've appreciated them more as I've gotten older.

What happened to Young!Ponytail!Angsty!Wedge avatar? :)

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Hey Katana good to see you here too!

imiller - I finally got a chance to read the short story. Loved it. They definitely need to keep giving Myri more story time. I didn't realize it was going to be a lead into Mercy Kill, but it makes sense that they would do something like that. I thought Wedge's characterization was a bit off and I'm not a huge fan of the author's writing so there were a couple of things that bugged me, but overall a very nice daddy daughter story.

5. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    s65horsey - I think I pretty much agree with you on every point! I'm a bit confused about the lead-in to Mercy Kill, since Myri was surprised when Voort told her that Face was in charge of the operation in chapter three. Yes, I have my Mercy Kill copy right next to my keyboard...why do you ask ;-)

Agree that Wedge felt a bit off - though full-body disguise isn't at all new to him, given Wedge's Gamble and Isard's Revenge, and it would make some more sense of how Myri was able to contact him so quickly in Mercy Kill.

Karen Miller's writing is indeed a bit...don't know exactly. I appreciate what she's trying to do, but it just doesn't mesh in tone or characterization with the other stuff. At least I know she actually read Mercy Kill before writing this one, as opposed to the way she did some of her other stuff.

I wish Myri hadn't been in full-body disguise - I want some Myri art! But the art was pretty decent, especially for a SWI short.

6. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    imiller - Oops forgot about that. I just sort of assumed it was a lead in to Mercy Kill. Even better perhaps it will be a lead in to another Myri story!

7. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    No, it's definitely a lead-in...just perhaps a not-terribly-well-edited one? But the idea of more Myri stories...I really hope they have more information on the digital shorts program. A new Star Wars short story a month would be amazing! Especially if they take time and care and produce good work on...say...two young women of great talent and ability? :)

8. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    The digital shorts program? Is this something that was announced at C6?

9. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Yeah - the first story we know about is a Zahn short, smuggler-focused, and possibly Scoundrels related, called "Winner Lose All." I'm really, really hoping that this will turn into a regular thing, and they'll get several good anthologies like the Tales series from it. Or maybe a revamped Tales series! That would be the best! With the RPGs mostly gone, and SWI not getting a lot of attention (as far as I know), I think a digital shorts program, with stories available on Amazon and such for a dollar or two, would be ideal.

10. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Its really "Winner Lose All" and not "Win or Lose All"? The phrase winner lose all makes my head hurt.

I'd totally buy digital shorts on Amazon for $2 if it meant I got a new Star Wars story once a month.

11. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I think it is "Winner Lose All" - Zahn back at his puns again :)

I would as well, as long as they got the right combination of authors, subjects, and maybe even art!

12. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Syal, because I'm an older sister and my right leg is known to bounce up and down.

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Nice! Yay, that makes three of us! (I'm one of those who picked Syal, because I am also an older sibling, and come to think of it, my knee bounces as well :) ). I would love to see some Syal and Myri interaction post-Union.

14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, Syal and Myri need an adventure together. A comic would be really awesome, with them as adults.

s65horsey likes this.
  15. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Hopefully they'll appear in another X-Wing novel, by Allston.... ;)

imiller and s65horsey like this.
  16. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    I do like both of them equally, because... they are so different and yet sometimes very much alike.
    I like that they are both their very own persons, trying to get their own lifes and not living in Daddys (or Mommys) shadow.

For Syal that may be a bit more difficult, because she is openly following her fathers path. I like, how she is trying to prove herself and since I love Tycho, I love that she adores him so much ;)
    I would love to get to know her better, because even in LotF there was not enough Syal.

Myri is a very interesting character to me, because she seems different from her mother and father at first sight. She seems more to be like Mirax or Lando being a gambler. But... with Mercy Kill it becomes obvious she is her parents daughter.
    Yet, she is different from Syal and that's one of the reasons, I want to read more of Syal:
    I would like to know, how much is hidden inside Syal.

Katana_Sundancer and s65horsey like this.
  17. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Definitely! I think there is definitely a lot hidden in Syal - especially now that she's lived through a war, serving with distinction, and losing a fiance. And her relationship with Tycho is amazing :)

18. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    I do like Myri, but I'm most excited for Syal to shine as well. :D

19. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    We shall see if that continues when you finish Mercy Kill, in like two years ;)

But really, Syal's awesome.

20. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Haha, it won't take me that long.... =p

21. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Suuure. :)

Well, whenever it happens, I know you'll just love the Antilles girls more!

22. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure of it!
    I'm always excited for new characters. :)

23. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Oh, I was on my iPad when the new boards came up, and I was all 'nekkid' and stuff. Since I'm all modest, Adalia-Durron was kind enough to find me some clothes. I'd put Wooby!Ponytail!Wedge back up, but I'm on my parents' computer, and I don't know if he's on here. *goes and checks* Nope, my dad doesn't have a stash of Wedge pics on here, big surpise. :p

I chose both Syal and Myri, because I genuinely can't choose between them. I loved Syal and Tycho's relationship SO MUCH. Tycho and Winter would have made awesome parents... instead they end up looking after other people's kids. Tycho was probably almost as much of a father to her as Wedge was. And that is fantastic.

24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Good explanation! I should probably put my Seeley!Wedge picture on dropbox, so I can have it if any catastrophe happens again.

No everyone has a stash of Wedge pictures on their computer? Shock!

Well...we don't KNOW that Tych and Winter didn't have Alderaanian kidlets... :)

But I agree - Tycho must have been a great figure in Syal's life...oooh, fic...

25. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    Somehow I always hope, that they just forgot to mention Winter and Tycho have a child as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.