main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Syal and Myri Fan Club: "You must be so proud."

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by imiller, Sep 8, 2012.

?

Syal or Myri?

1. Syal

26.5%
  2. Myri

38.2%
  3. Both

35.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I couldn't agree more. I know you meant this to be a fan club for Wedge's girls, but there no bigger tragedy than not having a few more Celchu's in the EU.

Katana_Sundancer and Zeta1127 like this.
  2. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Hey - a fan club for Syal and Myri should always include love for the people they love - and there's probably no one other than Tycho and Winter who Syal and Myri love more than the Celchus, however many there are :)

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  3. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Well it's hard not to talk about Syal and Myri without talking about their parents. And you can't talk about the Antilles family without including Tycho at the very least.

4. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    You guys are too kind, when I go on about Tycho at home my son says "Tycho is dead mommie".

5. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Wait, how is Tycho dead? And how old is this son? Does he know the awesomness of Tycho?

This is definitely a Syal and Myri fan club - but as Adam says, it's a home for everything about them, including their adopted Rogue family. Just as long as we all love on the girls most! :)

6. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    My son is 4. Tycho is very much alive and well as we know, he was just trying to get me to change the subject the other night and that's what he said. Kids really do say the most random things! My son has good moments, last weekend he wanted me to play action figures, so he dug the Wedge Antilles out of the X-Wing and handed it to me, he said "here's your guy". He knows his mom loves pilots, I have no idea how you impress upon a kid that likes Cad Bane, Ventress and General Grievous that anything ABY matters.

7. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    That is a tough question. If they love Star Wars and they love reading, when they get older, the transition should be fine. I would recommend the X-Wing comics, but they are kind of violent and disturbing - I remember glancing through The Phantom Affair when I was around 12, and the Interdictor being pulled into the wormhole was really, really troubling to me. Not to say I don't adore that comic now, but seeing people warped like that was scary.

Though come to think of it, Clone Wars does have a lot of violence as well. So...I guess it's up to parents.

That Wedge story is soooo great! Which Wedge was it - Lego, Kenner, Action Fleet?

There's also video games, but I don't know how good 4-year-olds would be at Rogue Squadron (but then, since I wasn't raised on consoles and joysticks, I stink at Rogue Squadron. Love it anyway :)

Man - I wish Syal and Myri had action figures. I don't even have a Wedge...

8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    This was a Kenner. I was thinking of revealing my beloved Lego x-wing someday, he already has my Naboo star fighter and Obi-Wan's Jedi star fighter, and telling him that if he wants me to let him have the X-wing he has to read the novels.

He actually has two SW Lego games he plays on the x-box. I have no experience or interest in video games, but I would love to fly SW fighters in my basement. My husband built a theater down there and the x-box is hooked up to play on the big screen. That would be as close as we could come to having a simulator in the house, like Jag. Are there any x-box piloting games?

My son likes those DK readers, Don't Wake the Zillo Beast, Watch Out For Jabba the Hutt and Stand Aside Bounty Hunters are his favorites.

9. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    The Rogue Squadron games are only Nintendo 64 and Game Cube (though perhaps mod-able for the Wii), and I think Battlefront II is available only for the X-Box. I don't know if it can be played on the 360. Battlefront II is the most recent Star Wars game with serious piloting - and even that is annoying, since all the ship stats are balanced so the factions match. Actually, I just got done flying (and failing) some Rogue Squadron missions (in the A-Wing - my favorite!) - I didn't grow up with games, so I really fail at the console ones.

I also wish there were more starfighter toys available - the Legos are great (I just got the mini-X-Wing and mini-Interceptor, and while I was reading Mercy Kill I flew them around), but there used to be Micro Machines and Action Fleet in addition to the Kenner stuff. It would be really fun to fly the models around with a kid, I think! Especially if you had matching X-Wings or something similar. :)

I'm not sure a 4-year -old can really get anything out of the X-Wing novels...I read them when I was about 10-11, and I missed a huge bit. I recently reread them, and think my initial analysis that Allston's books are superior is accurate - but I think part of my first fandom of the Wraiths was the fact that I came to them at 12 and 13, when I had more reading and emotional experience under my belt, so the situations finally made sense.

10. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Just thought of this: we know that Syal "kept her food on target" per Union - but who wants to bet that Wedge played with X-Wing toys with the girls, to try to get his foot in early, while Iella probably gave them secret NRI tests (like a less evil dad from Alias)? :)

11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    It will be a very long time before my son is ready for an x-wing novel. I have a feeling that because his parents are so into SW he will take a different path, but if he does like SW I have plenty of young reader and adult novels to keep anyone occupied for a very long time. My husband collects comic books, but has no x-wing comics. I have started buying some, there's a comic store near my parents house that has back issues of just about everything. It will probably take forever for me to get them all, but I at least got started on it.

I am sure Wedge had the girls playing with x-wing models/toys very early on. Myri said she had been flying since she was 7, and I believe that as well. I always wonder if Wedge was tough on the girls, the way he was on his pilots, or if he let them run over him a bit like most every dad I know.

12. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, it's clear that Syal and Myri adore him. I like to think he was kind, but had high expectations. Syal had to earn money, but he also matched her three credits to one, I think?

X-Wing comics are awesome - I highly recommend the second and third anthologies (the first one is a waste of money - just get The Phantom Affair by itself).

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Sorry, I mean omnibus editions.

Also, I wonder what Myri and Syal were flying at 7...T-47 skyhoppers? Z-95s?

14. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I now feel like less of a dork for sitting in front of our R2 unit while reading Mercy Kill and other x-wing titles.

I would of thought Wedge would just take the girls up in an x-wing, I can see either one sitting in his lap as he teaches them the controls. Sky hoppers would be fun too though.

15. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    This is the Syal and Myri thread - if it has to do with an Antilles (or adopted Antilles, like Luke or Tycho) or an X-Wing (or any NR starfighter), there's no such thing as too much dorkery!

Interesting. I think Wedge probably did that - but when they actually started flying solo, I'm hoping he didn't let them go up in a full armed starfighter.

16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    The family probably had some Corellian ship for vacationing that had a two person cockpit where Wedge taught his girls to fly.

17. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Good thought. Thinking YT or YV? Or Action?

18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    You got me. I imagine something that's not a YT. Wedge doesn't come across as someone who would buy anything big or fancy. So something simple, but something with some weapons, because I can't imagine Wedge traveling without weapons.

19. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I've always been curious about the weaponry requirements for civvie vessels. After all, the Falcon has capital-warship-quality weapons, even after years when Han wasn't part of the military.

I wonder if he'd get a Baudo-class, like Myri's namesake. That's a cool ship. ;)

20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Baudo-class are very nice.

Han and Wedge could get away with a lot more than most any other civilian. Who's going to question them? Reminds me of my favorite line in Allegiance, when the awol storm troopers first look at the Falcon's weapons and one of them says "that's a three year prison sentence." I'd quote it directly if I only owned the book.

21. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Just an announcement - as of now, we have an Ambassador (er, me) for this fan club! If we can get our posts up to 250, we'll qualify for Senator. Hopefully, we'll have many more discussions like the ones that are going on right now - it's great having you all!

Ah, Allegiance - it was a fun book. I'm surprised that owning weapons powerful enough to wipe out military starfighters and even take down the Death Star II were only three years, though.

Katana_Sundancer and A Tool like this.
  22. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Welcome to the EUS imiller and the SMFC! We appreciate your continued participation in the Senate and the Community as a whole.

23. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks, Minister of Intel Mac! You wouldn't, by any chance, have any files Iella left lying around in the Intel HQ about Syal and Myri, would you? ;)

24. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    No she usually didn't leave stuff like that laying around :p

25. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    True. She is a very conscientious agent - and mother! I wonder, though - she never became Intel head - does anyone think Myri might have a desire to do that? That'd be a way for her to step out from her father's shadow (though admittedly, into the shadow of espionage).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.