main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Syal and Myri Fan Club: "You must be so proud."

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by imiller, Sep 8, 2012.

?

Syal or Myri?

1. Syal

26.5%
  2. Myri

38.2%
  3. Both

35.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Sad, but nothing new. I spent years being sad that Mara wasn't a bigger part of the EU...then came the NJO, where she was required, and people just couldn't write her (except, surprise surprise, Allston, and interestingly, Tyers), and I wished for the old days.

2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I've tried to like Mara, really I have. Whoever wrote that line in the NJO where she complains about being pregnant ruined her for me. I think carrying a child was the most awesome experience I have ever had as a human being.

3. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well...yeah, Greg Keyes's two books didn't have Mara at her best. Though she was not only pregnant, she was seriously ill as well - like, worse than final-stages cancer ill.

Still, I agree. NJO just made Mara annoying for the most part. Which is heartbreaking for me, since she was my favorite EU character ever (tying with Wedge, who I'm not sure counts as EU, since he was in the films).

Speaking of Wedge and Iella being the best parents ever, I love the part in the Enemy Lines series where Syal tries to reason with her dad about how she doesn't want to go to the Maw - not whining, but talking intelligently. Clearly the Antilles family is the best - no whining about how the Force makes everything easy, no drama about which boy to date, just calm thinking and discussion.

:)

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  4. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I'll have to flip through and find that. I flipped through that last week and got caught up in the part where Gavin told Wedge to call him "Sir" not knowing it was Wedge. Seriously funny stuff.

5. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    That's the best! All the scenes in Enemy Lines with Wedge were gold. I can't remember if it was in Enemy Lines I or II, though.

6. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, I haven't read the NJO since the books were released. I have 120 pages left in Vision of the Future and I'll have re-read everything from Truce of Bakura to Vison of the Future. A project I have been working on since the end of June. I really don't want to start a 19 book series right now. Thinking about starting that project in January after I finish Scoundrals.

7. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I love Vision of the Future. The book that launched the future of Wedge/Iella! Also balm to this Luke/Mara shipper's heart.

So, did you reread Tatooine Ghost as well?

8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, I was shocked, because I liked it.

9. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Ya, it's not too bad. Not great, but okay.

10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I could not finish the 3rd book in DNT, and I had to force myself through every book Denning written in LOTF. However for some reason I didn't mind him so much in FOTJ. I fear it's because Christie Golden was so bad and he followed her. The guy just doesn't make sense sometimes. On page 100 in Vortex Luke actually smacks Ben upside the head. I read the book once, checked it out of the library even, and I still remember what page that was on. It just struck me as so out of character for Luke. And that's one of easier to swallow scenes :p

11. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I read books 2 and 3, and never could muster up the strength to read 1. Seeing the beginnings of Jaina's mind-screw just sounded too painful for me. I skipped most of his Legacy and Fate books.

Plus, he always ignores Wedge! What's with that?

12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Actually the first book wasn't so bad. It got progressively worse.

As for Wedge, Wedge is just so awesome that Denning can't figure out how to mess up his character. And hopefully he never will.

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Really? But isn't that the one where there's the big bug sex orgy thing? And where she betrays Jag?

I dunno - the whole Killik Joiner thing is one of my worst nightmares, and Denning forced Jaina to go through it for three books. I'm still quite sick about that.

I think you're totally right - Wedge is made of awesome, and Denning just can't figure out a way to make him go dark or mess people's lives up. :)

Hopefully the same thing applies to his kids! So far, so good...

14. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    You know I'm still trying to block that bug orgy thing from my mind, but I don't think I'll ever succeed.
    It's Wedge's saving grace that he didn't marry a force sensative and send his kids off to Luke's Aacademy. Nothing good seems to become of his graduates.

15. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, I'm still hoping for great things for Seha ;)

See, that's why I don't want to read book one...then I never have it in my mind to block! Logic! :)

16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Seha has potential, she was never on Yavin IV. I've resigned myself to the fact that those young adults I read about when I myself was a young adult in those cute little YJK novels have probably in some way attributed to my own craziness.

17. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Yiss? Interesting. I personally blame my own oddness on...hmmm, not sure.

18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Honestly though, the back of the books read "the empire died and they were born". As if these kids were going to grow up to be the heroes of the New Republic. Ever tried to explain what happenned to someone who's only seen the movies? Want a one way trip to a psych ward? Try explaining the EU!
    I mean I loved Mercy Kill, but to try and explain that it's written from the point of view of a Gammorean who can fly an X-wing. I don't even know if people would take me seriously. My own husband doubts half the stuff I tell him about the EU. And he spends hours a day playing HUTT BALL, has storm trooper armor and a collection of comic books.

19. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Ah, I see. I love to have long involved descriptions where it's just me talking...but that's why I decided becoming a teacher was a good idea. ;)

20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Well I found out last weekend at Star Wars Reads day that my son actually listens to a lot of what I read to him. He impressed a costumed grown man with his Star Wars knowledge (not sure if I should be embarrassed or proud). I wish I could say I had found a career I was good at.

Bringing it back to the Antilles girls...they were both raised well enough to find good careers that they excel in.

21. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    That's totally awesome!

And they have the ability to change course! See also: Myri - trained to be spy, turned gambler, turned back to spy.

22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I am glad she's found a way to become a spy and use her education. I can't say I agreed with Voort's point of view that Myri was "safe" gambling. Doesn't sound like something I'd want my young adult daughter doing. Men with not so nice intentions hanging around and all.

23. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Especually given her opponents.

24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    It's been my experience that men don't like to loose to women. Would be an interesting story to hear how she collected all those winnings.

25. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Hmm. I can sorta see that, though I try to be different. At least with my sisters, who are very good at beating me at all kinds of things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.