main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Sydney Riots

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Wow, watching it all on SKY News. I completely forgot that we had so many racists ********s in this country. Kind of sad.
    I just got home from the Danny Green/Anthony Mundine fight night and I throught the brawls and stuff there was bad...but what I'm seeing right now on the the news is disgracefull.

What are your thoughts folks?

2. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I live in Rockdale and have friends in the local police force. Currently being given instructions by my Mum on how to get home from work this morning if there's trouble on the trains or at the station, since I have to walk home from there.

Quite scary, and hope none of my mates or family were involved in the crap at Cronulla. I am worried also, as I live right in the middle of it. Just last week, I was pulling up in front of the house at about 1am, coming home from work. 15 or so youths were walking up the middle of Railway St in Rockdale, no regard for motorists etc. I didn't say anything or look at them, just went across the road and was walking in the front door, which Mum opened, and my car alarm went off. They were jumping on and kicking my car. I walked down the path, followed by Mum and had abuse hurled at me for being an aussie female and such, not going repeat it, not nice language. They made threats towards myself, the car, our home etc, then walked off down the road making rude gestures and hurling abuse at other motorists. We quickly moved the car off the street once they had gone far enough away, we were afraid they'd come back and make good on their threats.

Not going to support either side. I am of Irish convict descent myself, I grew up in the St George and Sutherland Shires, have friends of both lebanese australian and anglo australian descent, and my younger sister is engaged to a lovely lebanese guy. Just worried for myself and my family...

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Attention the rest of the world: These "Aussie" yobbo idots are not representative of all of us.

I haven't seen any of it up my way, but it's utterly disgusting. I think both sides should take a good look at themselves, they're both a bunch of racist morons.

I can't believe this started over possession of a damn beach.

(edited to protect DA's fragile sensitivities)

4. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    How's the offensive language in this thread?
    When did FF start lapsing outside TFn's TOS?

Edit Nothing fragile here mate, just glad you saved Hawk the tedious effort of editing your post and updating your usernotes. Leave it there for all I care but I'd hate the same international community you're pleading with to shuffle through here and read your post and add you to the ranks of those low-life ****heads you mention trying to tear up the town. You know that's the last thing I'd want.

5. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Your concern for my reputation is as touching as it is genuine :)

And now, back to the topic...

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    You have a reputation now? :eek:

Honestly, who in Australia didn't think something like this was ever going to happen?

How many reports of racially-motivated gang rapes and home invasions and school stabbings was it going to take before some of those young white yobs (male and female from from what that old rag, the SMH, reports) decided to take a swing back? It's absolutley symbolic that it was an assault on a lifesaver....the very core of Australian beach culture....that became the straw to break the camels back. It was an assault on Australian history, the bronzed Aussie, the digger....even the young white yob gets this on a basic instinctive level (how long until Miranda Devine or Piers Ackerman copies and pastes this line into their own column for people to hum and har over while they commute?) And I think one of the biggest problems is the multicultural industry in Australia, the paragons of which are welcome anytime to say in press release and conference "you're a racist, these minorities have no voice, we're all multicultural and we're all alright" like they don't stand to gain financially from their advocacy and rarely suffer a harsh word in response.

Nothing is alright, Australia is a country deeply divided and it's a very small segment of the population who are the Inquisitors with the power to label rasicts for as little as holding an opposing opinion towards immigration (for instance).

I don't condone racially motivated crime but I certainly understand it.

Now let fly with your best racist jibes.

7. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Gotta love it when the yobbo racist mob mentality comes to a head and anyone who looks even vaguely Mediterranean gets viciously beaten by a 5000-strong group of people waving the flag and yelling "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, oi oi!".

[face_plain]

8. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

So your happy to watch two people beat the living crap out of each other for money, but are disgusted by people beating the living crap out of each other in anger? Not trying to bait you, I'm genuinely (clinically) curious how you differentiate the two. (Unfortunately, my professional curiosity is often mistaken for flaming).

Hope all is okay K. And anyone else in Sydney.
    Funnily enough, when I heard about all this stuff last weekend and all the stuff brewing, the first thing I thought was whether anyone from FF lives in the area...

And yet there they are.

That was just the final straw.

I thought the most telling observation about the whole mess was "When the two local bottle shops were closed down, the crowd dispersed."

9. opium

opium Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 1999

Your new one?! :_| (--^.^--)

10. Kehleyr

Jul 22, 2001
    yes :(

11. Kehleyr

Jul 22, 2001
    While bedlam ruled, the North Cronulla SLSC did its best to ignore the unlovely spectacle, calmly continuing with the launching ceremony of a new surfboat, the Graham "Cashy" Cachia.

Meanwhile, down the beach, the Lebanese Australian girl's three male friends were being chased through apartments as her headscarf was being born off as some sort of souvenir. At the boat ceremony, a 13-year-old boy, a nipper with the club, turned from the boat to the noise swelling from the crowd north of the clubhouse.

"Get her!" he yelled. On his bare back were the words in black felt pen: "We crew here. You flew here."

This alone sums up how wrong this all is...

12. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I'm sorry to hear about your car Kate, I hope insurance covers it, but it'd still be a pain to sort out.

I think the media has a lot to answer for over this. they've been drumming this up all week and all but advertising riots for Sunday. The media has done more to publicise it and giving coverage to the SMS messages than the circulation of the text itself. There were reports of up to 50 carloads of armed individuals from as far out as bankstown going into the riot that would very likely not known to drive into the riot if they hadn't seen it advertised all over the news.

That said, DA is actually right for the most part, this has been brewing for some time.

13. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Having not read enough of this to truely make a comment on the situation, all I have to say is that I feel sick to my stomach that it happened, that people could act like that (although, I do advise those about to press the reply button and write 'you stupid naive *****' that I am fully aware of how people are not the nice, accepting people I like to hope they are. Living in the middle of a densely multicultural suburb, I know that people can be racist reprehensible bastards) and that the bloody media stirred it up and blew it out then stood back and condemned it.

When I read more, absorb more and calm down, I will join you in what will hopefully be an interesting and passionate debate.

Edit: Kehleyr, hope that you're doing alright. Good luck getting home.

14. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
    re: how can people do this?

It's actually fairly natural behaviour - in the literal sense of "natural". What you're seeing is typical behaviour of primates responding to a territorial threat: they form raiding parties and attack the threat with brutal force until the threat is wiped out.

There's an asian maxim (can't recall who): "There is much of tiger in man, but little of man in tiger."

What separates us from animals is our supposedly "superior" cognitive abilities. But throw in some alcohol - which has a funny habit of inhibiting our superior cognitive abilities - and the difference between your drunken yobbo and your average chimp starts to blur.

So we have some folks who feel their territory is under threat from Them. They get drunk, which effectively turns them into chimps. And the result is a chimp raiding party ready to tear up anything that looks like Them.

This is not to excuse or condone what they've done. Just explaining how it's possible.

However - this only explains the case of drunken yobbos. It doesn't explain the same behaviour in, say, a culture where alcohol is forbidden. That's another kettle of fish (or can of worms).

15. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Let me first say that I really hope that you are okay and you get the insurance for your car sorted, Kehleyr.

Secondly, let me say that I, like Pulsar and many other people in this thread, are absolutely repulsed by the riots. I couldn't have put it any better than you, Jess, when you say it makes you feel sick to your stomach.

Thirdly, let me be the first to put forward the radical view that John Howard's scare mongering over the past four years has done nothing to prevent this, and has possibly even created a situation where it is more likely to occur.

Fourthly, please allow me to put my flame-proof jacket on before I receive the replies.

16. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    I haven't even heard of any of this, I spent yesterday outside listening to music and reading etc.!!!!

Hope you're okay people!

and let me say I agree with Ozhaggis about the primitive side of bevans (or most people in general) This behaviour is so idiotic and something I'd expect from a group of neanderthals, rather than human beings.

17. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I kinda agree with you on Howard, BoogieMan (BTW, congrats on being a mod)

I'm staying with my Dad in Gymea, and yes that is in Shire. It was scary, as I go to Cronulla beach sometimes, not the main one but up at Wanda but glad I wasn't there yesterday.

Anyone read the Telegraph, apparently there were quite a few guys doing the storring up along with alcohol and general stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

18. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Yes scary!

It's just not the way to fix a problem. I mean, Get drunk and bash people whilst shouting rascist slogans.

Bogans. We need a bogan final solution!

19. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Yes, we need the bogan force!

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    So your happy to watch two people beat the living crap out of each other for money, but are disgusted by people beating the living crap out of each other in anger?

I don't see how you could possibly compare two professional boxers fighting (who have agreed and are completely willing to fight) to a group of idiot Australian yobos pelting police and inoccent ethnic people with bottles, beer cans, rocks, cocktail bombs etc. Watching the coverage on Fox last night really pissed me off.
    I didn't realise that seeing an Aussie male run up and smash a beer bottle on a ladies head (all she was trying to do was get the **** out of there) was the same kind of thing as a boxing match, which has safety rules, contracts, doctors, etc.

Anyhoo, I think the Aussie police need to grow some freaking balls (although I admit it's probably something higher up that's stopping them) and do something about this.
    But then again, Australia has next to zero riot experience. Time to bring in the army ;)

21. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    A boganator?

22. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    These Australians had the right to protect the beachside after those lifeguards were attacked. Do you expect them to just sit there and take it? We're getting sick and tired of ethnic gangs ruling the streets and I'm glad the people are making a stand about it.

23. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Oh yeah that's right. You're 100% right Drax. Beating up innocent women is a great way to make a stand against a few ethnic blokes who (for all we know) had a reason to have a fight with the lifeguards. You're as disgracefull as they are.
    Oh and ethnic gangs rule the streets do they? Bollocks. My experiences with ethnic gangs has always been that if you don't provoke them, then they wont do anything. Same with most gangs these days, however, once they do something it must be because they're ethnic right?
    We wouldn't have ethnic gangs if we didn't have people like you and white trash skin head gangs around. Who do you think came first? Ethnic gangs or white gangs? It's a pretty obvious answer.

I'm not excusing what the ethnic gangs do, but don't you dare treat it as though the ethnic community deserves what they got yesterday, all for their whole life really.

Also, I wonder how many of that yobbo crowd are actually "pure" Australian. I bet 75% of them arnt. This whole thing is just like the Catholics vs Protestants in Northern Ireland. Almost none of the rioters care about the cause, they just want an excuse to run amok...and this is no different.

24. ShaakSurfer

ShaakSurfer Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    You obviously have had no experience with Lebanese gangs.

25. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    All gangs are bad gangs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.