main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Sydney Riots

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
    The aim of a boxing match is a knock-out, which is loss of consciousness due to brain damage caused by extreme head trauma. Which is, at a guess, the same aim as smashing someone over the head with a bottle. Whether you use a gloved fist or a bottle, the result is the same (a ton of feathers or a ton of lead).

As you point out, the difference is that in one case, one of the people involved doesn't agree to this. Which is a fair distinction. And in that respect, I guess they are different.

But as I see it, both acts have the same intention and result: someone trying to cause brain damage in another person through excessive head trauma. And whether the other person agrees or not, it's a brutal and unnecessary act. And it's in that respect - the intent, and the result - that I see them as the same, whether the other person agrees or not.

I'm a pragmatist and humanist. So I don't distinguish between a blow struck in a boxing match and one struck in a riot. Neither needs to happen, neither benefits humanity. And that's the root of my comment.

Yes, it's a damn fool ideology, but that's what I believe. But it's just my opinion. I'm not judging people who disagree, or people who enjoy boxing - although I am sure some will take it that way. But then, only you can judge what you think or enjoy.

2. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    Yeah, those nipper volunteer lifesavers are an utter menace to gangs. We need more gangs to bash up a few more adolescent volunteer lifesavers before they get out of hand.

3. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    The amount of spin in your post is hilarious. You say gangs don't do anything to you unless you provoke them, have you ever actually encountered a gang? I don't believe you when you say you have. Where do you get the statistic that "75%" of the so-called "yobbos" aren't "purely" Australian? It doesn't matter who came first, we all know and should not deny that gangs with a Middle Eastern and Islamic background strut around spreading fear more than anyone else that I've encountered. To claim anything else is just sweeping it under the rug.

They had a reason to fight the lifeguards? Don't try to cover yourself by saying "for all we know", you know what you said. That statement makes it sound as if you agree with the idea a pack of ten or so gang members pouncing on a young lifeguard volunteer for no reason other than to show off.

And you call me as bad as they are. :rolleyes:

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    You obviously have had no experience with Lebanese gangs.

Trust me, you'd be suprised. All of the Perth Leb gangs (who are more or less gone now) came through my school, because we had the language program at our school. The Lebo gangs (I'm judging this on the ones I've met in Perth only) are really no different from Asian gangs, the Afghan gangs (they've just started up) and the white gangs.
    Just because they do a good job at what they do dosn't mean they're any more evil.

All gangs are bad gangs.

Yeap. But I just understand that a lot of the gangs in Perth (and I'm sure in Sydney too) started in defence not offence. They Afghan gangs in Perth started up because of the frequent bashings of anyone who even slightly looked Afghan. Sounds fair to me...I've only seen the Afghan gangs fighting in complete defence. Then again, meh.

Yeah, those nipper volunteer lifesavers are an utter menace to gangs. We need more gangs to bash up a few more adolescent volunteer lifesavers before they get out of hand.

All I'm saying is that everyone just assumes it's a random bashing. Whether or not it is, it is still wrong, But I don't like how people just assume the lifeguards were COMPLETELY blameless.

Where do you get the statistic that "75%" of the so-called "yobbos" aren't "purely" Australian?

If you saw the news coverage I saw, then you'd know why I'm saying this. Hardly any of the 'hardcore' ones were even white.

You say gangs don't do anything to you unless you provoke them, have you ever actually encountered a gang?

Well that's already been answered.

5. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I'm fine, the car I'm more worried that they will come back one day soon and really do some damage. Just a few dents and crap right now, not like the brick through my mate's windshield. Parents will handle the insurance crap.

There are a particular group of youngish guys who harass the women around the Rockdale / Brighton area. Most females of any race would have had a runin with them at some point over the last few years. They are pretty much untouchable sadly, they have too many mates and the police never seem to do anything. I was also taken aback last night, sitting in a cab on the way to the city, heading to work, with an extremely racist cabby from St George cabs. And I am distinctly anglo with my reddy brown hair, fair skin and zillion or so freckles.

Sickening to hear police getting run down in cars and people burning the Aussie flag, climbing on top of Brighton RSL of all things to do it. Bf wants to go out tonight, I'm thinking well away from either Shire might be a good thing for once...

6. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    Uh-huh. If they don't like it here, I'll be happy to show them the door.

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    But ofcourse if the aboriginals don't want us here they can get ****ed right?
    Because we all know Australia should be a white only country huh.
    :rolleyes:
    It's your attitude towards these ethnics that get's people ****ed up.

8. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    Now you're dancing around the issue and getting off-topic. To use the Aboriginal arguement is a poor move as you're applying the standards of today to the standards of the 1700's and 1800's. And did I say Australia should be purely white? If these ethnics don't respect our laws and assimilate, they can get out. Those who are willing to comply and don't cause any trouble may stay.

We opened our country up to them, then they turned on us. That hurts.

9. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Attitudes like yours allow the labelling of 'bigot' to be applied to easily here. This sort of attitude, as SoE has hinted at, doesn't make you look terrible clued up as to the rationale behind the riots. In fact, it's pretty cliche, and really quite ignorant... :rolleyes:

"Assimilate..." :p
    Be white, look white, and act white...or we won't have you. [face_shame_on_you]

Give me a break.

10. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    Well, this is Australia, not Ausistan. You go to live in their countries, you're expected to abide totally by their laws or you're severely punished. They have it too easy out here.

11. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    If these ethnics don't respect our laws and assimilate, they can get out.

What about all of the Australian-born citizens who act just as appallingly and break the law?
    Can we boot them out of the country too?

12. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Maybe if you don't like it here, then you should leave. :p

13. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    Why? I never broke the law. ;)

14. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    'These Ethnics' ARE Australian. They were born here too. Just because their culture is different to yours doesn't mean they should 'assimilate' to be like you.

Both sides are at fault. Both have issues. Territoriality and racism among others. You can't place all the blame on one or the other, in the case anyway. My opinion is only based on reports I have heard, it's not like I was there and know first hand who started what with whom.

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    We opened our country up to them, then they turned on us. That hurts.

Who is they exactly? Ethnics? Or just ethnic gangs? I didn't realise a bunch of ethnics defending themself is wrong.
    Anyhoo, I generaly understand that changing the opinion of a racist is pretty hard, near impossible, so I wont try. If you feel so strongly about this I dare you to make it public and see how long you'd last.

As for the way the cops are dealing with the crowds, well, I'm not happy about it. I understand it's not their fault, the police-gang task force is very small these days and it makes it hard for them to do anything but disperse the crowd. Dispersing the crowd does little to help the situation, All it does is relocate the crowd and the violence with it, cause more damage in the long run. We need more trained riot cops to actually contain this kind of crowd and then move IN and make as many arrests as possible...and, well to be honest, hurt as many rioters as they can. Bring back the rubber bullets ;)

Anyhoo, in times like this, just bring in the troopers. We all know the Australian army (even the reserves) are a hell of a lot better at handling riots than the police. And what better place than Sydney, considering that's where the majority of the Australian soldiers are located. ;)
    I'm sure S_M will be in agreeance with the last part of my post.

Maybe if you don't like it here, then you should leave.

**** oath :) Good call.

16. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    Your spin is as insulting as it is amusing. I didn't realize a bunch of Middle Eastern youths traveling to the beach areas to smash up cars and burn the Australian flag was wrong either. They must be defending themselves somehow.

Your hazy view of this matter by siding with the Middle Eastern gangs, yet condemning their acts at the same time weakens your arguements.

17. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    I didn't realise a bunch of ethnics defending themself is wrong.

Who exactly are you referring to there?

Do you mean the gang that was defending itself from the adolescent volunteer lifesavers? They can be violent those little nippers. You need a whole gang to protect yourself from one.

"They're not that bad."

"They were provoked."

"The kids probably deserved it anyway."

"They're defending themselves."

"Australians are racists anyway."

Is there any reason why you're being a gang apologist?

18. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Well, as far as I'm concerned this whole country just needs a lot of forgiveness right now - and to extend a lot of forgiveness. Argue ethics or politics either way, but hate and anger don't vanish with rhetoric.

19. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Obviously I am talking about the Afghan gang in my community, considering that was the comment that Drax responded to.

Is there any reason why you're being a gang apologist?

Is there any reason why you have such a strong view that the "Australians" are blameless?
    I already said that what happened to the lifeguards was wrong, open your ****ing eyes and read. Just don't assume it wasn't provoked.

20. ShaakSurfer

ShaakSurfer Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    I'll just say again, you have no idea about the Lebanese gangs in Sydney.

Everything you've said shows that to me.

21. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    SoE, you sound as if you have an agenda that condones this social and cultural jihad as they seem to mark their territory, not allowing anyone else to come by. You, for some fishy reason, ignore the initiated racism from their side. This has only happened because our police don't have the numbers and can't practice zero tolerance.

It's this cowardly attitude that has made people scared to stand up to these Middle Eastern gangs, which has allowed them to run amok. The gangs' acts akin to terrorism.

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    The gangs' acts akin to terrorism.

Ahaha. You do realise we are talking about Sydney on planet Earth right?

23. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I am confused. I never thought I'd say this, but Shadow_of_Evil, I wish to heartily shake your hand.

24. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    *shakes hand*
    My pleasure.

25. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    Now where exactly have I've said they were blameless?

Maybe you did say it was wrong, but you're also saying that they might have provoked it. Now am just waiting for you - or anyone - to explain to the world what exactly a nipper lifeguard can do that would justify being bashed by a gang ...

Short of a few major felonies, I cannot think of anything that a person - let alone an adolescent - can do that justifies a gang assault. Otherwise, if you're suggesting that being a little smartarse is sufficient cause to have the utter crap beaten out of you by a gang, then say so.

And by the way, you criticise others for assuming that the lifeguards were blameless, yet you make the same assumption about the victims of the mob. So which is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.