main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Sydney Riots

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    The lebanese aussies turned up with baseball bats, iron bars, knives and guns...

=D=
    They've certainly been given a reason to.

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Elliot, it's nothing to applaud.

3. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    [face_plain]

4. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "They've certainly been given a reason to."

Wow, I thought you were doing pretty well there for awhile.

It's funny that people think every new outbreak of mass violence in Australia is the first.

Macquarie Fields "Oh no, how do we cope with riots?"
    Redfern "Oh no, how do we cope with riots?"

Australia has experienced countless riots during the 19th & 20th centuries, generally racially or politically motivated, this kind of thing is not new to our nation. Australia has a small, well-educated and openly opinionated population, everyone who reads a paper or watches the news feels they are qualified to speak their mind on a topic, often passionately. Australia is also divided along racial lines, anyone who says otherwise is utterly deluding themselves. The whole idea of "assimilate" isn't working, we're not the single multicultural whole that ehtnic advocates want to guilt us all into believeing we're part of because we're a myriad of monocultural singles that just don't want to mix....this latest riot just proves that.

The real tragedy of this event will be that when the dust settles nothing will have changed. There will be an uneasy "truce", a few people jailed or fined, a few people in hospital, a few people avoiding Cronulla. The police will say that everything is in hand and the politicians will call the whole thing regretable (<sp?) The police clearly do not have everything in hand, which imo is what the population have come to bank on, and while it's great for votes that politicians take the high ground, when it comes to changing the circumstances that cause these kind of explosions the politicians are noticably silent. Nobody has any idea how to handle this kind of division that has built up in our country and for whatever reason (fear of being labelled racist?) are more than happy to hold the current course which clearly does not work until the next incident of gang rape or beating or stabbing or shooting or whatever.

5. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Elliot, it's nothing to applaud.

It's a sarcastic applause. Maybe I should have added a "clap.....clap" to my post. My bad.
    The reason I'm being sarcastic here is because these Aussies are having this riot to "win back the beaches" but all they've done is started a war which is certainly going to make it worse for them. I know the ethnics will come out on top and the yobbos gave them a leg up.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Wow, sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully everything calms down and cooler heads can prevail. From what I have read and seen, it sounds like any other riot where people get upset, drinking is involved, and all rational thought goes out the window. Its always the innocent that get **** on in the end.

7. ShaakSurfer

ShaakSurfer Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    You underestimate the people of the Shire, you don't know how parochial they are.

Why is this happening in Cronulla? To know this you need to understand the Shire. I'll be suprised if white anglo-celtic people gather en masse and attack Lakemba or Bankstown the way the Lebanese have attacked Brighton le Sands because that's not what this trouble is about. They probably won't attack outside of the Shire but they will definitiely defend their little bit of white Australia. The Shire for those who don't know and from reading this thread there's a lot of you who don't, is an isolated peninsula of predominantly white Australians. It's accessable by two main bridges, plus another couple of smaller ones. They are extremely insular and extremely cliquey there. You aren't really from the Shire unless you've lived there for 20 years, and then you aren't thought of as a true local. I lived at Kareela for several years, I know how difficult it is to feel accepted in the area. Go North across Tom Ugly's and you'll come to the most racially diverse suburbs in Sydney and possibly Australia (which makes the attack on Brighton le Sands by the Lebabese gangs a bit pointless, it's a mainly Greek area). People from the Shire like their monoculture and want to keep it, in same way as people enjoy the monoculture of Muslims in Lakemba or the monoculture of Vietnamese in Cabramatta.

Cronulla is joined the the rest of Sydney by these bridges and a railway that stops just at the beach.

What's been going on for the past 10 or so years is an increasing level of racial tension with those who use the railway to get to the beach, then disrespect those who live in the area. These troublemakers are mainly Lebanese from western Sydney. Please don't get all huffy about this, I'm telling it like it is.

The bottom line is that people from the Shire are extremely provincial and protective of their way of life and do not like being pushed by outsiders of any persuasion. When the Lebanese gangs started doing what they do in Cronulla, it was only a matter of time before the locals pushed back. It would happen anywhere. Walk into Bankstown with group of 15 yobs and start harrassing the locals and see what happens.

Unfortunately, the Lebanese gangs aren't one for taking things lying down and as we saw last night they will retaliate. The people from the Shire more than likely won't retaliate by attacking Lakemba, but you can bet your bottom dollar they won't be taking it on the chin in and around Cronulla.

Now, I personally blame the police and the judiciary for this. If the police had enough numbers (they certainly have the power now) and the gumption, they could have stopped the Lebanese problem in Cronulla (and the rest of Sydney for that matter - The Rocks, Darling Harbour, Bankstown, anywhere the Bulldogs play) before it got to the point where the Shire community decided they needed to make a point. I don't condone violence of any sort. I think rioters are morons but I'm also not in denial about the problem of Lebanese gangs, I know they exist. A community doesn't riot for no reason whatsoever. I'd have thought a peaceful protest would have been the way to go but meh, that's the Shire for you.

Unfortunately, the message was hijacked by neo-nazi groups and anti-immigration groups. Racism is definitely the main contributing factor for the riot, but it was originally more about reclaiming the beach from gangs of a certain race, not against that entire race of people. It's all gone to pot now, that's what happens when people resort to violence though I suppose.

I guess the main reason I felt I needed to say this is the amount of misunderstanding I see in this thread. Bogans this, Lebanese that..... When you understand the populace of the Shire and when you stop denying the Lebanese gang problem, then you'll know what's truly going on.

8. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, I really have to concede that I have no idea of what it is like over there in that regard.

But it scares me that this kind of stuff happens in Australia from time to time.

I mean we're supposed to be happy go lucky larrikins in a recreational and easy going country.

I know that this may never have been true for some people living here, but it's something which makes a lot of people feel safer.

9. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    You definitely make a good point ShaakSurfer. I have grown up in both St George and Sutherland, guess I'm a hybrid of both as my family are spread across the two and such. All my mates and my bf are from the Sutherland Shire as well.

Most people I know from the Sutho Shire were smart enough to stay away on Sunday. The majority of so called anglo aussies in the media weren't so. They were people of european extraction, many from the Western Suburbs who came for a sniff of a fight, fortified by the right wing and different groups. Sure there were a few number of Shire boys and girls there, but most of these were kids, that's right kids. People under 15 whom should have been at home under parental control. The police should have been doing their job from the start and arresting the clearly under age drinkers, alcohol which was supplied by those from out of the area, the Shire bottle shops and hotels closed down specifically for the day in and around Cronulla, so the stuff was mainly brought in from outside by others.

The kids present, despite drinking, were mainly there for the party atmosphere. They had nasty slogans on themselves, but that's another thing entirely which I do not agree with. Most were in the green and gold and had Aussie flags. They weren't there necessarily for a fight, this was caused by the aforementioned people.

Switch to the lebanese aussies. These guys have huge organised gangs and most are immune from police control and have been for years, not going into details. Most people would be aware of the sort of crap they are famous for being involved in. They turn up in 50 odd carloads to smash up cars and other property in Maroubra. They took another 20 carloads to the Sutho area to throw rocks. They turned up in Maroubra with actual weapons, something the anglo aussies did not and would not have. They did the same down at Brighton, where it's a predominantly anglo / greek australian area. They went one step further, running down two police and burning the flag on top of the RSL.

Now there are warnings about staying away this weekend, as the lebanese aussies have promised reprisal for Sunday. Ummm, haven't they already done this? In far worse than the anglos? But once riled, these guys don't give up. And I agree most are from the West, but a huge number are from the St George area - particularly Rockdale, Banksia and Arncliffe, where they have their main mosque for this area. Which is where I live, right smack bang in the middle - yay :(

The local residents are used to the jibes, abuse etc that gets thrown at us, part of everyday life here. But lately it's been ramping up, see my posts before about stuff with my car(s). I'm very much thinking I might drive my old car around for a while and leave my good car at my Grandma's, I really don't need to pay for more damage to what to me is a new car and is costing me a fair bit in repayments to my parents (they helped me buy it, 94 barina and old one is an 88 bomb) and insurance. Just walked down to the mailbox and there are noticeably more guys out and about, like they are patrolling, just looking for trouble...

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    scary crap man.

Violent losers. I wish there was a soloution, but idiots have been around forever and they'll always be around.

Kind of a different issue but...

My Grandfather (and let's face it, he's from the 50's so his answer is always something along the lines of: put them on a boat and blow them up. Very Ted Bullpitt) believes "bogan trash are having most of the children.... and then they're raising their children in a violent manner" (I have to agree I see it every day- mother's swearing and swiping at their kid's head with five others in a trolley)"And everyone else who does their degree instead of getting pregnant at 17 waits till they're secure and have the 1-3 kids"

But I told him that having poorly thought rushed ideas like putting people on a boat and blowing them up doesn't make him much better!

But his theory has some truth. Don't you feel like most people out there are stupid??? I mean, when movies like xXx are making huge amounts of money, it kind of makes you think that we're becoming dumber as a population.

PROOF: http://blogs.starwars.com/detentionblockaa23/57

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've got limited time ATM since I'm in Singapore on my way home.

I'd forgotten this side of Australian life, and I can tell you now, we are as a nation looking like mindless thugs to the world. We are being shamed through these idiots, and the only person whom the Asian media is being kind in their portrayl of is the PM.

What a glorious event to return home to. [face_plain]

E_S

12. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Yeah what happened to our mindless thugs restraining themselves to swearing at Tony Greig at the Cricket????

welcome home though Ender. I hope you never find out where I live! [face_batting]

And yeah, I'm feeling very embarrassed and concerned with the majority of our population at the moment.

There's so many, and yet 5 years ago they would've all booed Pauline Hanson.

Why the sudden change?

13. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I've known for years that people are stupid. As you increase the number of people in a group, the intelligence and maturity levels drop exponentially.

14. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    yes, I mean- I can be wacky or zany at times. But never I violent pea-brain bevan like a lot of folks.

It's frustrating how people can't even see how weak they're being.

15. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Just when you thought Sydney was going to have all the fun, it seems txt msgs are spreading like wildfire up here in Newcastle now ...

Anyone hear about any other cities around oz ? I can't imagine Newcastle is the only city outside of sydney ...

16. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    what do they say?:eek:

What are they all about?

17. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Same as the ones going around sydney, but calling for "action" in newcastle.

18. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
  19. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    With places like Northbrige and Fremantle in Perth it will only be a short matter of time before it starts up here. This new years and the upcoming Australia day are really going to be ****ed up.
    At least over here it wont be the ethnics starting anything but we've got a crap load of idiot yobbos here so it's bound to start up in no time.
    Not good.

My girlfriend is at the mines in Newman so she hasn't heard about any of this. She bloody came to Australia to get the **** away from the riots. This crap is going to go on for a long time I think. It's just like school fights.
    10 You win
    20 They retaliate
    30 They win
    40 You retaliate
    GOTO 10

****ing yobbo ********s.

20. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The Shire? But I thought hobbits were peaceful creatures?

/can't believe I got this one in before Johnnage... :D :D

21. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    You saw how much piss the hobbits drink. They walk around with kegs on their shoulders!!!
    Only a matter of time before they get angry.
    [face_mischief]

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I knew it! It's the Battle of Bywater all over again!! :D

23. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Don't joke, I work with some Shire residents and they received emails urging more violence and describing the locals as peace loving Hobbits driving out the invading Eastern Orcs.

And Tolkien's corpse hits 1000 RPM...

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It's going a bit too far, but what the hell: maybe all we have to do is import more pipeweed from the South Farthing and everything will calm down...

;)

25. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    "It comes in pints? I'm getting one!"

More ale will do...actually wait, that was half the cause wasn't it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.