main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SyFy's Krypton

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Mar 31, 2018.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    In Man of Steel, Jor El recounts to Kal in a bit of expositional dialogue that after a period of space travel and colonisation, the Kryptonian civilisation retreated back home and gave up expansion. Population control was established and all new children would be drawn from the genetic code of the Codex. Maybe this ties into that.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Perhaps.

However, I believe the Krypton TV series established a principal that Kryptonian's believe there are no such things as aliens or life outside Krypton. Something to the effect that the thought of an alien, like a Brainiac, is considered heresy and therefore treason.

I don't mind if that's the case, it just isn't really a perfect fit.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Adam Strange had one of the coolest costumes , now he's got a black jacket , *sigh*.

Master_Rebado and appleseed like this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So I finished season one and I thought it was great! The small amount of episodes help out with not watering down the story and pace to extend it for the normal twenty something episodes.

Krypton uses Superman's more popular villains (excluding Lex Luthor) to help sell the TV show to the audience and worked. I'm hooked for season two.

There's a Game of Thrones type of vibe going on with the show as well, as I noticed the use of the word "sigil" instead of the normal "symbol" or "crest" for the noble houses of Krypton.

The characters were well developed and played off each other quite well. The plot and pace got off to a some what slow start for me, but by the second episode things started moving at a really nice pace. And the twists were quite nice.

Good stuff.

But I hope season two doesn't cheat the audience out of the "cliff hanger" element from the final episode of season one with some type of time jump, or a side jump into another dimensional zone that could exist out of time.

I'm still a confused with where and when Adam Strange ended up.

heels1785 and Diggy like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He was in a Detroit city in a bottle in Brainiac's ship. But it looked like modern Detroit, and Brainiac doesn't have access to time travel, so...

I also don't know why he ended up there. I either missed that or it's to be explained.

Anyway, I agree with you, it far exceeded my rather low expectations and I look forward to season 2.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Thanks! I figured it was Detriot, but since you mentioned that Brainiac doesn't time travel, so... yeah. That's why I'm kind of concerned they don't cheat the audience out of the...
    Doomsday thing where he's breaking free from his chamber, and have season two start with Zeyg and Brianiac in the Phantom Zone and spend most of season two there. And then having the both them escaping and thus, explaining Adam's situation/the bottling of Detroit down the road.

I just might have thought that General Zod might have conquered earth before Brainiac would bottle up Detroit since Superman's cape has the house of Zod sigil. And thus earth would be protected by the Kryptonians who all have the power of Superman.

I'm wondering if Krypton will be a Termination: The Sarah Connors Chronicles or like JJ Abram's Star Trek situation where they just create their own timeline and universe. It certainly gives the show more creative freedom and doesn't chain them to the well known Superman mythos.

I really liked the incorporation of the Man of Steel elements regarding the Codex, etc.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Diggy like this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Protected...or ruled with a super iron fist?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ha! It's the conqueror ERRRRR victors that write history. So, from a certain point of view which the current timeline is set, "protected." :p

Master_Rebado and Diggy like this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    At SDCC, announced as big bad for Season 2 of Krypton..

[​IMG]

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finished watching and this show is much, much better than what you think a show about Superman's Grandpa would be. But, hell, they're almost cheating, freakin Brainaic, Zod and Doomsday are all in it. Brainac I thought was a fantastic villain with a slow burn that felt menacing as opposed to "are they ever going to show up" of the White Walkers on Game of Thrones. His stint as the Voice or Roa was supremely creepy and I loved his final form, very classic. Mite disappointed if that's how he goes out but he is SUCH a super-powered foe that it's almost impossible to beat him.

I wish I liked Adam Strange better but probably because he wasn't wearing the spaceman outfit and instead looked like a hobo. Bring on the spaceman outfit, it could totally work. Also, uh, where the hell is he / what happened? Surprised they went full cliffhanger finale without knowing they had a Season 2. Gusty! Stupid but gutsy!

I didn't know about the Zod twist going in so that was so very, very great. And it ended with "Kneel Before Zod!" as the closer! If this just became the General Zod show, I would be totally okay.

I am surprised they saved Kandor from Braniac. It's called The Bottle City of Kandor, dammit!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don’t know how, given the other two villains that will be prominent. But yes.

Part of me is excited, part of me is scared that they’re going to water down what is so great about this show, the compact feel to it. However, they did Braniac well on a shoestring budget, so I’m hopeful.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Titans: "**** Batman!" is going to be the craziest thing we do for DC on television next season!
    Krypton: Hold my beer...

(of course, I massively look forward to the latter and continue to laugh at the former...)

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The big bad for Season 2 has been cast:

Lobo - Emmett J. Scanlan

In keeping with the small-time, unassuming cast of the show, he's a relative unknown. Small part as a riot guard in GotG, and some TV work.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, so can't get really excited about the casting. The excitement is mostly about the character. And based on season one of Krypton, I'm sure they'll do the character justice.

And this is a season one spoiler warning as I'm not going to use spoiler tags because that requirement expired a long time ago...

so, you've been warned.

I love how season one has been building up to Doomsday. Moreover, the look of the character. Both are really good adaptions of the character's origin and purpose. I would have love to seen Doomsday go up against Brainiac and then turn on Kandor, but the series saved it for season two.

Hopefully, we'll see Doomsday unleashed in season two rather than some time jump or spending most of it's time with Zeyg and Brianiac in the Phantom Zone. And so when they get out of the Phantom Zone, it's timed right before Doomsday is unleashed preventing that timeline from ever happening.

Anyway, I really like the way the show developed all the different Houses of Krypton, it's so Game of Thrones.

I liked Krypton better than of the latest season of the DCTV/CW Arrowverse and Black Lightning, aside from the crossover event.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The VFX were really strong in Krypton I felt and, theoretically, they may get even better because ILM just started a TeeVee division (whole lotta Star Wars / Marvel shows coming) and they're also apparently taking over the VFX for Krypton

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Trailer for Season Two.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    SyFy's shoestring budget CGI Doomsday looks about 45 million times better than Zack Snyder's.

I have so much confidence in these showrunners and writers. They love the source material, and it shows.

dp4m, Diggy and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    There's so many things in Krypton that's better than Snyder's telling of the Superman mythos. Doomsday is definitely one of them in just visually, but also in development (backstory) and use in the overall story. And I also like the way Zod is conveyed in Krypton. I truly feel he's a battled tested and withered general. Totally reminds me of X-Men's Bishop in a lot of respects.

Diggy and heels1785 like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I also have much love for Brainiac. Seven Superman films in and still no Brainiac? Come on now.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    If you haven't seen it already, the animated film Superman: Unbound is a great Braniac story, dig. Based on an equally great comic arc from the early 2000s.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [face_plain]

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Whoops, wrong one...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    New season starts June 12th. So ready.

Love that they took their time and didn't rush out another season in excitement over the renewal. Very much in line with the measured approach of this whole team running the series.