main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Symbiosis [A/T Japor Challenge Response, Action/Drama]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Artanis, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artanis

Artanis Jedi Master star 2

May 10, 2005
    Title: Symbiosis
    Author: Artanis
    Timeframe: Post-Myrkr
    Characters: Anakin, Tahiri, Kyp, Jaina, and others
    Genre: Drama
    Keywords:
    Summary: A fairly extreme AU - what might have taken place if Kyp had gone with the Myrkr strike team, and Jacen had died there?
    Notes: I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be totally satisfied with anything I write... ;)

Symbiosis

Sometimes, when the howling emptiness of the Force and the bleakness of night conspire to magnify her fear and loneliness, Tahiri grasps the snippet of japor in the darkness as if her existence depends on it.

In a way, it does.

~*~

There had been no end to the amount of speculation as to what Kyp Durron had endured at the hands of Vergere subsequent to the Myrkr mission, during which he had been captured while defending the Solo children. In this heroic endeavor he had been partially unsuccessful, for Jacen Solo died from his wounds sustained at Myrkr. Kyp had returned from his imprisonment quieter, less impulsive; those who knew him best felt uneasy at the sight of him, for something in his character had changed. Only one other Jedi knew what he had done to Vergere ? had been informed of the mangled state of the alien?s feathery body...and she didn?t care.

A few months with the mysterious Force-sensitive appeared to have broken what years in the blackness of Kessel could not bend.

When Luke Skywalker and his wife perished on Mon Calamari in a speeder crash, foul play was instantly suspected. After all, it was whispered, how could arguably the most gifted pilot in the galaxy die at the steering rods of a vehicle without reasonable cause? The holonet played and replayed footage of the crash site (though there was little to see, as the bodies of the Jedi Masters had vanished at death as those of Jedi Masters do), accompanied by endless speculation, for days, until the next big story broke ? the release of Alpha Red, a tactic previously unsuspected, but somehow discovered by the press, who indefatigably discussed and dissected what few details they knew.

It wasn?t long before someone pieced together a connection between these three seemingly unrelated events.

By that time, Anakin Solo had fled.

~*~

?What?s going on, Anakin?? she?d cried in confusion as he had torn into her quarters, dazed and bemused.

Without a word, he had flicked the holonet on with a careless Force gesture. Chaotic, violent images crowded the screen.

?You see??

She did see. And suddenly, the disturbance she had earlier felt in the Force, the void of darkness and pain and loss, made sense.

?I have to go ? the killers, they saw...he saw, me there, I think they?they planted a bomb or something, and I have to leave.? Anakin had drawn in a breath, steadying himself, and turned toward the door. ?Come with me, Tahiri. We?ll find my parents and head to the Maw, because, I don?t know, Ben could be in danger. You...you could be in danger, too.?

Tahiri had gasped and taken a step toward the console.

The greatest Jedi the galaxy had ever known, along with his wife, had just been confirmed dead.

After a few moments of processing and another, clearer explanation from Anakin, she?d made her decision.

?Anakin, you need a source of information from Mon Calamari. I can give you that,? she?d insisted, tears filling her eyes. Tahiri had slipped her arms around him and squeezed. ?I?m the only one here you can trust right now.?

A few days later, the simple japor pendant had arrived.

~*~

Tahiri touches the pendant briefly as she makes her way through the crowded hallway toward the makeshift Jedi council meeting room. The insignificant shard of japor rests on the teal material of her tunic, attracting no attention but providing some comfort to her with its miniscule weight.

Durron has proven to be a formidable opponent on the exclusively Jedi council he so recently assembled; she has only deflected suspicion thus far by appearing to agree with him and to rest under his thrall, as do Jaina Solo and many ot

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    That was a great entry!

I really got a kick out of it. Great job!

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Yay, another entry. Thanks for participating, Artanis :D

Only one other Jedi knew what he had done to Vergere ? had been informed of the mangled state of the alien?s feathery body...and she didn?t care.

Nothing wrong with that [face_mischief]

Though her dissension is phrased as an innocent question, Kyp?s eyes light angrily, and suddenly she senses that he knows. Within the space of two seconds, he stands above her, lightsaber activated, and shoves her to the floor. She kneels, gazing up at his face in a kind of fatalistic fascination through the strands of blond hair falling into her eyes.
    ?We have a traitor on this council,?

Geez, what a psycho! :eek:

?What, did you stop off to eat on the way? It?d be like you.? she mock-grumbles,

[face_laugh]

?It?s a good thing you sent the signal out of the thing when you did; a couple more minutes and...? His joking attitude evaporates briefly. With an effort, he redirects his thoughts. ?Would?ve been easier for you to reach through the Force, but that would have alerted him too early.?

Clever [face_thinking]

Terrific job, Artanis =D= Loved the present tense. Lots of action, was a very exciting read :D I almost wish you'd made this a full fic instead of a viggie. Lots of potential here. Also very original, I really wasn't expecting anything like this.

Was glad that Jaina came to her senses. It's too bad Vergere was able to twist Kyp so :( She's one creepy chicken. At least Han and Anakin spared his life.

Great fic :)

4. magehound

magehound Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2006
    This was actually much better than I thought it would be. you did a very good job with this. =D=

5. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    It's by Artanis, therefore, it must be reviewed (eventually).:D

Be back soon.[face_peace]

6. Artanis

May 10, 2005
    Thanks! I'm so glad you stopped by. :)
    Thanks for reading, YodaKenobi. [:D]
    [face_laugh]
    Yeah. I wonder...does that say something about me as an author? :p
    Thank you! I waffled for a while about how much detail to try to include, considering it was only a vig, and I hope I struck a good balance. Also, I'm glad the action came off fairly well - I was a bit nervous about that aspect of it.
    I fully agree. [face_worried]
    Thanks. [face_peace]
    Thank you, I appreciate that. :)
    I look forward to seeing your thoughts. [:D] And I can understand all too well the demands of RL. [face_tired]

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    This is great, Artanis. :0 What a cool way to use the challenge idea.

He raises his sword, a harnessed bolt of crackling violet lightning and swings downward ?

- only to meet the blade of Anakin Solo humming a bare centimeter above Tahiri?s neck, nearly singing her hair. Newly-arrived Solo knocks the hungry blade away, flashing a grim smile when Tahiri jumps to her feet and activates her own lightsaber.

?What, did you stop off to eat on the way? It?d be like you.? she mock-grumbles, noting with satisfaction the three or so Jedi who activate their own ?sabers to join Anakin and her.

?Sorry.? He winks ? even in the midst of a burgeoning battle, with one wink he can invert her stomach ? and grins at her, even as he parries Kyp?s second furious blow. ?I was gonna bring you some flowers?? he grunts and thrusts, meeting the other man?s lightsaber again, ?but I just couldn?t seem to find an arrangement I liked.?

That was a wonderful section. Loved the image of the clashing blades just above Tahiri's head, and Anakin and Tahiri's great dialogue. I also liked that little observation about the effect Anakin has on her. :)

several powerful blaster bolts lance through the door and into Rar?s back, courtesy of the most famous smuggler in the galaxy, Han Solo himself.

She doesn?t appear to appreciate the honor.

LOL Stupid girl. It isn't often one can get blasted by Han.

Great idea to have the snippet as a means of sending a signal. I loved the ending, too. :)

8. Artanis

May 10, 2005
    Thanks, Tahi! :)

[face_laugh] Yeah, after DN my estimation of her intelligence dropped significantly. I guess it shows. ;)

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.