main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Symbiotic relationship between Anakin and Padme

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by KnightWriter, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I didn't like the 'dying of a broken heart' much, either... but, it would make a lot more sense if Anakin and Padme were sybiotically linked. He uses her life force in order not to die from his burns, without knowing it... which causes Padme, already weakened (but not to the point of death) by childbirth and being choked, to die. Which would actually make Palpatine's remark that he killed her somewhat true...

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So if Anakin and Padme are in a symbiotic relationship... and Padme dies when the good Anakin dies, then...

Did Padme resurrect in her grave in Naboo near the end of Ep. 6 when Anakin threw Palps down the chute, and Anakin came again to the surface?

Of course, I hope she wasn't too scared in her sealed coffin in the ground being newly-resurrected and trapped 6 feet under when that occurred.

Of course, Anakin died a few minutes later with Luke ["Let me look on you with my own eyes"], so there goes Padme again, facing another death of Anakin, and re-dying.

But God knows what she felt when Anakin became a Force Ghost? Was he alive or dead at that time?

No.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I think we are supposed to infer a symbiotic relationship from the Council chamber scene, as the novelization comes right out and says that. After that, as she is dying he is being operated on, and the next scene as she dies is Vader rising on the table, entombed in the suit, to the funeral music.

I would say symbolically it's all there.

4. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    There is much symbolism in the entire sequence. Anakin (what was left of him) essentially dies in "fire", burning alive and Padme's funeral gown was made to look like water in wavelike fabric in shades of blues and purples, along with the tiny waterflowers "floating" on top of her hair.

On the operating tables-Padme is clothed in pure white-and Anakin/Vader in pitch black.

In a sense-they were both "dying" at the same time. It was a very beautiful scene.

5. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    Hmmm. All good points.

But does Anakin "die" in the fire - or did he "die" when he pledged himself to Palpatine and accepts the name Darth Vader? Remember Yoda said that Anakin had already been consumed by Darth Vader.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Giving this one last go.

7. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I never realised this about their relationship! It's so true! And it sort of mirrors what Qui-Gonn told Anakin about midichlorians.

8. Yaddle_Fantasy

Yaddle_Fantasy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    I like this idea ^^

9. theSuper1

theSuper1 Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    What kept Anakin alive before Palpatine arrived?I think it was this symbiotic relationship , only it changed from symbiosis to parasitic. in a way Anakin sucked the life out of Padme to keep himself alive or alternitively She quite willingly kept giving until there was nothing left.

10. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    queenseamstress posted on 5/25/05 11:42am
    There is much symbolism in the entire sequence. Anakin (what was left of him) essentially dies in "fire", burning alive and Padme's funeral gown was made to look like water in wavelike fabric in shades of blues and purples, along with the tiny waterflowers "floating" on top of her hair.

On the operating tables-Padme is clothed in pure white-and Anakin/Vader in pitch black.

In a sense-they were both "dying" at the same time. It was a very beautiful scene.

[hr][/blockquote]

that makes perfect sense. and makes it so more tragic. She is represting every thing that was good in him...her dying reflects the "death" of the good man he was...but he is not all lost. Here is their son..whose mothers's last words he will believe in and this will redeem his father in the end. So Anakin is never truly lost. At that moment..when Padme dies while believing there was still good in him..and giving this belief in some way to her son...there truly is A New Hope.

11. aepandcdp

aepandcdp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    A girl, who live through a Soviet death camp tells of a story, in which her grandmother simply willed herself to die the night before the were loaded on to the trains. She had plenty to live for, big family, etc., but she no longer wanted it. Mind over matter. Some mothers kill their newborns. At least Padme allows the twine to live.

12. Istar_teng

Istar_teng Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    The symbiotic relation between Padme and Anakin would be a good explanation of why Anakin appears younger to Luke at the celebration party in ROTJ. Having returned from the dark side, and becoming one with the force, the symbiotic relation would cause good ol' Ani to come back as his young self, the one he was short before his symbiotic partner died.

Who knows? Mabye after Endor's Celebration Party Ankin's and Padme's spirits are reunited and disapear in the netherland of Force (a reason of why Anakin's ghost doesn't appear before Luke in EU like Obi Wan does).

13. _Genivive_

_Genivive_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    I too really was disappointed with Padme?s death. While I may be able to accept that she died of a broken heart, I can?t swallow the fact that she says to Obi Wan ?there is still good in him? but still dies. Padme was not one to take no for an answer. If she truly believed that Anakin could be redeemed, she would have not died. With two children to live for and the possibility of redemption for her truelove she would not have thrown in the towel so quickly. But this theory that the force used her through a link with Anakin could explain it. The force sure is harsh.

14. Istar_teng

May 29, 2005
    Or mabe she just thought Anakin would trace her, and she would become a menance to her childen (because they would fall in the hands of the emperor just like Anakin)

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    And it sort of mirrors what Qui-Gonn told Anakin about midichlorians.

I'd never thought of that, but it's interesting. But, given that Padme wasn't Force-sensitive, I'm not sure the analogy is applicable here.

I doubt they were reunited after death for the same reason.

16. LoneFoxAndCub

LoneFoxAndCub Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    When the medic droid tells Bail, Obi Wan and Yoda her condition, it's reminicent of E.T.'s death scene...

Perhaps Spielberg had a hand in this scene also?

17. Galakemen

Galakemen Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2005
    Sorry for bring back up a semi-old thread but I like this topic, and the theory really does explain this between Padmé and Anakin. It reminds me of what Obi-Wan said in epI to the gunans:

"You and the Naboo form a symbiont circle. What happens to one of you will affect the other. You must understand this."

They really do kinda tap on this in the PT about symbiont relationships in one way or another. Great thinking ;)

18. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Problem I see with these symbiotic theories: how many times does Anakin "die"? Vader is not born when he gets his black helmet. Anakin is certainly already dead when he goes slaughtering Jedi younglings, is he not? When he chokes Padme (and rejects her in favor of ruling the galaxy) is he not fully Darth Vader? As we know from Return of the Jedi, there is always some good left in him. Palpatine has already named in Vader, he has already sworn his oath; if she has a liink to him, she already knows that he is a Sith Lord and no longer her husband, and if the breaking of the link would kill her it would have already done so, n'est pas?

19. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Padame, promissed she would always be with Anakin, but she couldn't after what he had done, so she rather died than betrayed Anakin. Sad.
    As a side note, anyone who didn't read the offical RotS book, should really read it, it explaines so much, and it goes into the character's heads and I love the final quote. It also explaines how the dark side was stronger than the light side, and how the light side needed to reinvent itself in order to beet the dark side in the OT.

20. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Another thing.
    Anakin never died. I don't know why everybody believes that. "There is still good in him." Padame knows it, Luke knows it. The book says, "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker, forever:etc, etc." Anakin doesn't die, he is sort of in a coma, he is very, very sick, but not dead. He just doesn't want to be Anakin anymore since it is too painful. It is less painful to be Vader.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Anakin is certainly already dead when he goes slaughtering Jedi younglings, is he not?

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I don't see him truly "dying" as Anakin until he gets his Vader armor.

22. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    No, Anakin doesn't die until possible in the end (he is very much alive after the tusken slaughter. Just ask Dooku!!!) of the film - at the same time that Padmé dies. But there are and always has been a connection between them. In AOTC there are two incidents
    a) when they are leaving she says she is afraid and he says he is too. We always thought this was a simple "poor dialgoue" but what if there is more to it.
    b) Padmé and Anakin are both in pain at the same time at the end of the film. Padmé is in pain when the clonetrooper walks towards her in the exact same way and at the same time that Anakin shows his pain because of the Sith lightning he received from Dooku. And, I am all for some kind of symbiotic relationship between them as I had this theory as early as AOTC. And it is strange isn't it that Lucas has Anakin "die" at the exact time that Padmé dies - fitting in my opinion.

23. Istar_teng

May 29, 2005
    Also, remember that the Force acts not only in the force sesitives, but ALL living things. in a certain way, when Obi-Wan tells Luke about the force ("It keeps the galaxy together"), which implies that in a cartain way, it controls people's destiny.

Besides, don't forget Yoda's teachings to Luke, telling him that using the force you'll be able to cominicate with people long dead. How then, could Leia have images of her mom through the force if Padme wasn't a Force-sensitive? To me, this means that, while only those strong in the force have the abiliy to come back from dead as force spirits, everyone who dies becomes one with the force STILL preserving a little bit of ther personality.

(It's not that difficult to understand, our Judeo - christian culture has similar, if not identical, way of explaining death, doesn't it?.)

24. irishd2

irishd2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2004
    Whoa this is deep

25. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Anakin never died. I don't know why everybody believes that.

It was only Obi-Wan who said he was dead, from a certain point of view. It's just how you look at Anakin's situation. If you change your name and your personality, you're different, but you are the same person. And Anakin did have conflicts concerning his new identity as Vader. Luke clearly stated in ROTJ that he could feel the conflict between good and evil in Vader, though Vader said the name "Anakin" no longer had meaning. Evidently, it still did which is why Luke lives and Vader dies and we see a return of a Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.