main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Symbiotic relationship between Anakin and Padme

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by KnightWriter, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Balance was brought for the time being, at least. He was ultimately killed six years later anyway.

2. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Palpy didn't die

Is there a Ep. VII or something? [face_thinking]

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That sort of issue belongs in its own thread, or at least not this one.

4. forcefan68

forcefan68 Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2005
    As far as Padme "abandoning" her children when that seems so much against her strong character and how she could die when her symbiotic partner still lives ("There is still good in him."):

I can actually see the following possibility. Padme elects to pass along that last remaining bond (life energy?). Knowing all that Anakin did in the name of saving her in ROTS, what more would he continue to do knowing that she and the child(ren) were alive? Sure, she could go into hiding, but with the force connection that she had to him becoming so strong, finding her was a real possibility. And, the fact that there would never be a body (I don't think a decoy handmaiden would go that far.) would always leave suspicion. What to the medical droid is "losing the will to live" is perhaps one of the strongest, noblest acts in the entire saga: passing along that last bit of "symbiont force energy" to the children to keep it alive in Anakin, until they can reawaken it. This conscious act can even account for some of the discussion on other boards about how Leia remembers Padme and Luke echoes her sentiments, these are part of what she gave them. I like to think of this as a conscious act of Padme's strong character, rather than just the will of the force. JMO

One last comment on an earlier post about the story arc involving Anakin starting out as a slave. I think it's rather interesting that in one form or another he remains a slave until the end of ROTJ. But that is probably a topic for a board itself.

5. Deek

Deek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    You are thinking of the "Dark Empire" storyline?
    I think if we assume that story is canon, it definitely reduces the power of the Eps.I-VI, for the reasons you mention. (not arguing whether it is canonical or not.)

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Just moving this up.

7. darkscout36

darkscout36 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Obi-wan told luke in ANH that darth vader betrayed and murdered his father (anakin). So in Obi-wan's point of view, anakin has died. Later on, Padme dies as well. She lost her will to live yet she was in perfect health. When Anakin kills mace (which is when i consider vader killing anakin*) he's technically in perfect health, same with padme. Yet anakin, the good man died...

*based on Obi-wan's point of view of telling luke that vader murdered Anakin

8. Trifecta

Trifecta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    This whole idea may been an interesting angle to include, but if it is there, then it must be implied.

9. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004

Maybe there was.

This also would go a long way to explain why Vader died once the Emperor died in ROTJ.

(Good post;) )

10. MiaTiska

MiaTiska Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    I don't have time to read through the whole thread, but I have to agree. Padme's a strong woman yet she just...gave up? I just can't buy that.

Someone else probably already suggested this, but personally I go with the theory that Anakin and Padme had some sort of Force link or bond, whether they knew it or not, and whether Anakin knowingly forged it or not. He was probably draining her life energy away to stay alive without knowing it -- that, and/or Palpatine may have used it to keep Anakin alive and kill Padme to further cement Anakin's turn to the dark side and ensure his place as Palpatine's apprentice.

Though, I really still need to get the RotS novelization. ;)

-Mia

11. odc

odc Jedi Master star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    I definitely believe Padmé lost her will to live. She got force-choked by the man she held more dear than anything in the galaxy. He turned into an unbelievably evil and uncontrollable and totally foreign and strange person to her. Anakin ceased to exist and she could not live with that.

She is incredibly strong - especially in the Episodes 1 and 2, but I totally understand why she cannot go on; "her" Anakin is gone and she sees, they never had any chance to lead a normal life to begin with. There is no hope for her.

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This is a good thread.

The last time I watched ROTS in the theater, it was with a SW noob. The first thing they really said about the film, other than it was great, was that they could tell Anakin and Padme had this "thing" in the Ruminations scene that later developed itself in the Birth of Vader scene and the Birth of Luke and Leia scene. I thought it was odd that it was so clear to him, when a lot of fans, didn't see it right off the bat.

13. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    rhonderoo, I saw it the first time but I can't make up my mind as to whether or not to take it that far...eventhough, the way Lucas cuts those specific scenes you mentioned, he's clearly pointing in that direction.

The only basis we have for this, done in the same manner, is when Vader talks to Luke in Empire after Luke has escaped. Luke is on the Falcon and Vader is on the Executioner. Clearly, they are talking through the Force.

Could Padme and Anakin have that connection eventhough we have no idea about Padme? I'm still of two minds about it.

14. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes, Lucas is definitely pointing out something here. The editing in both the Rumination scene and the Birth of Twins/Vader scenes suggest that their fates are intertwined. But how much the actual Force has to do with it, I don't know. I don't think Padme has to have a measurable amount of Force ability or awareness to be symbiotically attached to Anakin. But even if Force awarness was a factor, Anakin is so incredibly strong with it, it could possibly make up for her lack.

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I think that's what the novelization said, RS. That Anakin was in so much agony both times (mentally in the Council chambers, and physically during the BoV scene) that he actually reached out to her in some kind of way.

16. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I don't look to the novel for answers but within the film...it IS there. Anakin, I can understand because of his power and maybe his power is strong enough for him to make that kind of connection to where Padme feels it. But, again, it's the Padme part. I want to say that their love and passion for one another, along with Anakin's power, was so strong that she could feel him as well...but, I just don't know. It boggles the mind, I say.

Either way, Lucas is pointing heavily to it. And I bet you, he doesn't comfirm one way or the other in the DVD commentary. This is one of those things where either you think they are connected or no....and I just haven't made my mind up.

17. Father_Time

Father_Time Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2003

I think in the Making of book it said that Padme was the most Force-sensitive being EVER during ROTS, because of the twins. Her pregnancy made her super-sensitive to the Force, so she could feel what the entire galaxy was feeling, making her very emotional.

18. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    ....and sensitive to the smell of chicken

19. AnakinSlywalker

AnakinSlywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    I haven't read all of the posts so I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet....but what if Anakin saying to the Emperor "I can't live without her" had a deeper meaning? Hmmmm.....

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Besides the obvious psychological need Anakin is feeling, I do think that is one of the little mental cues George uses through out the saga like "there is still good in him." Anakin really didn't live without her, because Vader didn't really consider himself "living".

21. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I don't believe in the theory because i think it goes against everything George was trying to tell with this saga; about having to grow up and accepting that, ultimately, you'll have to be able to let go.

With Anakin and Padme, they loved each other alot; but the only reason they really end up affecting each other so much is because their love isn't as healthy as it used to be, they've invested too much love into each other and ended up feeling that they can't live without each other. That's not healthy; and that's something that they, willingly or not, have created themselves. It's not a symbiotic relationship because they're not helping each other - only themselves.

That's just my opinion. And i do think Padme has some force-ability, but everyone does - the fact that she's so close, unnaturally close even, with the biggest forcer in the galaxy definitely has something to do with the link between them - that i do believe, exists.

- O_F

22. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "This is one of those things where either you think they are connected or no....and I just haven't made my mind up."

I haven't either. I do ask if they were why didn't Vader already
    know the answer to his question [about her being alive or not] before
    he even asked Sids. If they were that connected, wouldn't he
    feel she's gone?

23. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000

I 100% agree with this. Believe it or not, I think they're the perfect couple. By that, I mean they complement each other perfectly. What I mean by that is she is the yin to his yang. She is strong, confident, and stands up for his convictions. He is immature, wavering, and rushes into action before thinking. And I agree also that is was her destiny to birth the kids and die. And since she complemented him, when he turned, he essentially died, and there was no way she could continue.

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Just thought I'd give this thread an up. Definitely still feel my theory is true.

25. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Sure a broken heart might not seem like a big deal but being in a health professions h.s. program it's given me a new perspective on it. From my point of view Padme died from a stress cardiomyopathy which in essance is a broken heart. It just sounds more formal the medical way and it's not uncommon for that to happen. Studies have shown that it is possible to die from it. And in Padme's case her love for Anakin was more powerful than the power Anakin gained that she just couldn't imagine her life without him and it hurt her so much that she couldn't bear it.

I enjoy seeing it from this new light. It makes it all the more tragic. Now if only the medical droids had diagnosed it properly.[face_alien_1]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.