main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Symbolism in Attack of the Clones (currently discussing shrouding and obscuring)

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Shelley, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Personally, I think Campbell is overrated as well, and to attribute every little thing in SW to something Campbell wrote, which some fans do, is in a way just as small-minded as dismissing SW as a mindless popcorn flick.

I got myself a copy yesterday (The Hero with a Thousand Faces), and by glancing through the chapter titles it seemed as if I was looking at a synopsis of the Star Wars saga (the first part resembling the OT, the second part the PT). Will be interesting if your comment will make me agree with you, or not.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Okay, if you don't think there was symbolism in that scene, there's no point to continue posting in this thread.

3. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    "Actually, I'm as hardcore a Christian as they come, and I'm not offended by it in any way."

That's why I said "many" and not "all" 8-}
    My piont was that a definite appearance of the crucifixion motiv would be insulting for lots of people. It's just perfect, as it is :)

4. EmperorNemesis

EmperorNemesis Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2002
    What do you think of my clone symbolism theory?

Remember, Luke and Leia are clones of each other as well. Albeit unidentical. How coincidental, huh?

5. ShaakRider

Nov 14, 2002
    EmperorNemesis, on the one hand it's fascinating, to imagine a Universe without love and sex...on the other hand it'd be un-StarWarsy, I think [face_shocked]
    besides, it's quite unbelievable...while men and women exist, I'm sure, there would be some underground sex-parties 8-}
    oh and what about Han?

6. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Someone was talking about midichlorians. I just wanted to show you an excerpt of a george lucas interview. What George thinks midichlorians are. It is a metaphor and its quite fascinating

"Immaculate Conception, it's conception by metaphor, I would say, more than anything else. I'm taking the idea of symbiotic relationships and trying to demonstrate it in a more concrete way. Midichondrians are a loose depiction of mitochondria, which are necessary components for cells to divide. They probably had something--which will come out someday--to do with the beginnings of life and how one cell decided to become two cells with a little help from this other little creature who came in, without whom life couldn't exist. And it's really a way of saying we have hundreds of little creatures who live on us, and without them, we all would die. There wouldn't be any life. They are necessary for us; we are necessary for them. Using them in the metaphor, saying society is the same way, says we all must get along with each other. The planet is the same way. We must treat the other creatures on the planet with respect, otherwise the planet will die"

EDIT: here's the link to it http://www.eonline.com/News/More/lucas5.html

7. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Thanks, YodaJeff. If you don't think there is symbolism in the scene, fine, just state your case. No need to pound it into the ground.

8. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    There's symbolism in everything, but not much symbolism here. :D

9. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Thanks, YodaJeff. If you don't think there is symbolism in the scene, fine, just state your case. No need to pound it into the ground.

Funny. When you disagreed with my threads in the past you never left. Quite the contrary.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Two wrongs don't make a right, hawk, and anyway, I created this thread to be a rare positive thread in a sea of bashing threads. None of your threads were rare in tone, and I was trying to defend the very saga this message board is allegedly about. I fail to see how starting a thread titled something like: "LOTR gets Oscar nominations. TPM got none. That should tell you something." contributes anything but animosity to the board.

11. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Pretty lame response Shelley. I AM a SW fan believe it or not and I belong on a SW fan board. I'll remember to have you kicked out of every thread you disagree with in the future.

EDIT: My response no longer makes sense after Shelley edited out all of her inflammatory comments.

12. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    You preaching about inflammatory comments? That's a good one, hawk.

Pretty lame response Shelley. I AM a SW fan believe it or not

Even though you seldom, if ever, have anything positive to say about it and hate more of the movies than you like?

and I belong on a SW fan board. I'll remember to have you kicked out of every thread you disagree with in the future.

You won't need to, hawk. I'll make sure to avoid all your inflammatory threads in the future.

13. ShaakRider

Nov 14, 2002
    Damn, like kids :(

14. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    EDIT: It looked like I replied to ShaakRider.

15. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Even though you seldom, if ever, have anything positive to say about it and hate more of the movies than you like?

I love two of the movies and like two. I dislike ONE. And I do post positive things. Ask anyone over at the Basher's Sanct where I have stated all the tings I loved about AOTC.

You won't need to, hawk. I'll make sure to avoid all your inflammatory threads in the future.

What inflammatory threads? You seem to be confused about the term. You are the one being inflammatory...until you edited out the remarks realising this.

16. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I love two of the movies and like two. I dislike ONE. And I do post positive things. Ask anyone over at the Basher's Sanct where I have stated all the tings I loved about AOTC.

Why state them in the Bashers Sanctuary? Why not state them on the board devoted to AOTC?

What inflammatory threads?

Oh, let's see, the one about LOTR getting all the Oscar noms when TPM didn't get any, and "that should tell you something," the one about the interview with a disgruntled ex-LFL employee that was "proof" that Lucas is surrounded by yes-men, even though the ex-employee in question offered no proof, the one about how you know more about SW than Lucas does...

You seem to be confused about the term. You are the one being inflammatory...until you edited out the remarks realising this.

Yes, I did say inflammatory things, which is why I edited them.

I was ushered out of the Basher's Sanctuary, although I broke no rules, because posters there didn't like me.

17. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Oh, let's see, the one about LOTR getting all the Oscar noms when TPM didn't get any, and "that should tell you something," the one about the interview with a disgruntled ex-LFL employee that was "proof" that Lucas is surrounded by yes-men, even though the ex-employee in question offered no proof, the one about how you know more about SW than Lucas does...

Um, they aren't my threads. The only one that is mine was the one where I stated SW fans know SW better than Lucas because we are more obsessed with it. The ex-LFL employee one was TrueJedis and the LOTR one was definately not mine. I haven't started a LOTR thread.

Why state them in the Bashers Sanctuary? Why not state them on the board devoted to AOTC?

Because I prefer talking to people who are civil. Look what happens when I converse here...

Yes, I did say inflammatory things, which is why I edited them.

Then stop accusing me. I merely disagreed with you. I was not attacking you here.

18. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Ok can we please talk about the Symbolism of Shmi's death. That what the name of the thread is. It was started so that people coudl talk abot what they see in that scene. It was not started so someone can say there is no symbolism in and I don't see it. If you don't see fine. But others do so for them there is symbolism in the scene.

Let people who see the symbolism in the scene talk about it wiht out having to try to defend them selfs. Believe it or not some people who start threads like this are not looking for any basher/gusher wars. They are looking to talk with other people about the symbolism in a chararter or scene form the movie. There is symbolism there for a lot of people that see that scene.

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Whoops. Thought that was Shelley. Anyway, back to your symbolism discussion Shelley. Good to have another round with you.

20. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Um, they aren't my threads. The only one that is mine was the one where I stated SW fans know SW better than Lucas because we are more obsessed with it.

And you used inflammatory "evidence" to state your dubious point.

[The ex-LFL employee one was TrueJedis and the LOTR one was definately not mine. I haven't started a LOTR thread.

It was quickly locked, but you started it.

Because I prefer talking to people who are civil. Look what happens when I converse here...

What did happen? You were the one who made it personal, hawk.

Then stop accusing me. I merely disagreed with you. I was not attacking you here.

No, you just made the matter personal.

21. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, let's get back to the discussion.

22. Hell_Sith666

Hell_Sith666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    Hey Shells, ever seen "The Searchers"? good movie, you should check it out.

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    And you used inflammatory "evidence" to state your dubious point.

No I didn't.

It was quickly locked, but you started it.

I started one with a Gary Kurtz interview but the LFL employee one was TrueJedi.

What did happen? You were the one who made it personal, hawk.

And you were the one who made it inflammatory.

EDIT: If you meant LOTR, I haven't started a LOTR thread either. PPOR.

24. ShaakRider

Nov 14, 2002
    Hawk, to stay on topic, which one would you choose:
    1. You don't see any similarity with Crucfixion (Jesus' , of course)
    2. You see, but you think it's accidental
    3. You see, you think it's intentional (or at least subconscious), but it isn't symbolism (if this is the case, how would you call it)
    4. Something else

25. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Did you see any symbolism in Shmi's death scene Hawk? Yes? Or no?

and if you have a problem with Shelley PM her or tell a mod.

This is what YodaJeff posted:
    Okay, if you don't think there was symbolism in that scene, there's no point to continue posting in this thread.

Again this thread was started so people could talk about the symbolism that they see in that scene. Is there any thing wrong with people talking about it? If you don't see any symbolism in that scene does that make you right? Does it make the people who do see the symbolism worng? Do people who start thread to talk about scene and and charaters in a movie that they like have to defend why they like the movie all the time? Sure not ever one is going to liek it. But why shoudl the people who do have to keep defending why they like it? Again a lot of people who come here did not cmoe here to defend why they liked a part of a moive they came here to talk about the thigns they liked. Yeah they will talk about some of the things they did not like in it. But it will not be a lot. Exmaple I don't like Jar Jar so I just don't talk about him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.