main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Symbolism in lightsaber colors

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ForceWielder5, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    brook_33 this is a non spoiler forum so quit it!

2. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    What ^^^ said! :)

3. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Jedi Consulars are green, Jedi Sentinels are yellow (yellow!), and Jedi Guardians use blue.

I consider these "D&D classes", because the whole RPG system underlying KOTOR uses the D20 system which isbased upon the (A)D&D system.

To me, it's like (A)D&D mixed with Star Wars.

So I don't see any sense in them. That's my personal opinion.

Alrik.

4. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    True, as long as Guardians/Sentilels/Consulars aren't hinted at in the movies they're just a pretty descent way to play pen&paper. Hence, the color symbolism they have doesn't hold too much water.

*Though i do have to admit, i still tend to think Ben as a guardian cause of his blue saber, i know it's just a shortcircuited brain of an RPG fanatic*

5. Jedi_Master_Jogum

Jedi_Master_Jogum Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2004
    Ben is totally a Guardian. Hahah, I can't believe
    I didn't see it before.

Yah, there is no significance to lightsaber colors in the movies except that Red is definitely unique to the Sith. The only reason Lukes became Green was because Blue wasn't working against the Tunisian Bright Blue Sky.

6. StevioM

StevioM Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2003
    Should I point out the Leia has a Red Lightsaber in the EU?
    Or that if Red is meant to symbolise Evil and Blue/Green Good.... then why do the X-Wings have Red lasers while the Tie Fighters have Green ones?

7. My favorite Ithorian

My favorite Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 1999
    Sith all use red, but I think there must be some reason for Jedi having either green lightsabers, blue lightsabers, or purple lightsabers.

It's just one of the things that Lucas will never tell us, so it's either left to the EU or it's something every obsessed fanboy can decide for himself. This fanboy thinks it may have something to do with the difference between the Living Force (green) and the Unifying Force (blue).

And I don't know what purple would signify then...maybe the Badass Force?

8. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Well, in the original drafts, everybody had red lightsabers. And I mean EVERYBODY, back then there was no Force and stuff, just escentric people who preffered sabers in a futuristic world. the only reason "good guys" god blue originaly was the overkill of everything being red. Green, well we all know why. In any case, if any of ya all ever becomes a true Sith Lord and chooses to have a blue saber, I for one, am not going to argue about it. ;)

9. ROTS_Obi

ROTS_Obi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    ertain clips seem to indicate Obi-Wan will be using a green light saber

^^^^ Ummm srry but no.

10. durty_mynock

durty_mynock Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    For me, there is a symbolic in lightsabres colors.
    Padawans have blue lightsabres.
    Jedis masters have green lightsabres.
    Sith lords have red lightsabres -oh? someone have already said it???? ;-)
    in TPM, Obi-Wan kill darth Maul with a green lightsbres: it's a symbol:the padawan succeed where his master failed, so it's time for the little Obi to become a Jedi master
    in RotJ, Luke have a green lightsabre: another symbol: his formation is now completed.
    Mace have a purple lightsabre.....hmmm....he is a strange person, yeah
    in ANH, Obi-Wan have a blue lightsabre: I think this is because he consider himself as a fallen Jedi: he failed to form Anakin. Perhaps he think he isn't abble to be a Jedi master. So, he use a padawan weapon.
    and about yellow lightsabre in the UE: maybe this Jedis can't have a padawan, because they have a job, so, they are not "really" masters.
    do you agree?

11. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Then why does Obi-Wan carry a blue lightsaber in AotC?

12. durty_mynock

durty_mynock Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    Obi-Wan have a blue lighsabre?? oh yes..hmm..maybe this is because he want to show his humility. And don't forget Anakin is his first padawan, Obi have not shown yet to the Jedi council he is abble to train a Jedi knight...maybe jedis aren't considered as jedis master and members of the Council until they haven't form their first padawan?
    In AotC, something else: in the fight Anakin-Dokoo, Anakin have 2 lightsabres, 1 blue and 1 green, I think there is a symbol: he is as competent as a master, but still a padawan because of his immaturity.

Another idea about lightsabres colors: the color is fonction of your step. Like belts at Judo:
    -the good have green weapons
    -the "less good" have blue weapons ( it's knew that Anakin is better in lightsabre than his master)
    and purple could be another step?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.