main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Symbolism in TFA, trailer anlysis

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Death Wizard, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Be warned, these are only MY interpretations of the symbolic imagery in the trailer, I do not expect to be accurate but this could SPOIL something for you. I will try to write this in cryptic.
    Finn, Finns are propelling.
    Darkness transitions to light.
    A luminous soul in a body of black skin covered in white armor, decorated with black, surrounded by the bright desert day light makes 180 degree turn.
    Describing an infinite amount of circles with in circles, black and white folding onto itself, one might picture a Ying Yang, Opposite FORCES that are actually complementary and interdependent. The Ying Yang, what a great symbol for balance.
    Finn, flop 180, Stabilize & FORCE? His helmet is off allowing him a 360-degree viewing angle of the situation, what could all this represent?
    BB-8: from a certain point of view, an eight looks like an infinity symbol, another great representation of balance. Can you see the figure eight in the yin yang?
    BB-8 is shaped as if two spheres are connected, an infinity symbol in 3D space if you will. Except it is not balanced, it is bottom heavy. Nevertheless, blue skies are seemingly getting it to the right place (left), there in symmetry on the horizon (look a quad engine is over there) if all works out, BB-8 may soon change its designation to 888.
    An enclosed dark place with a low ceiling, Men dressed purely in white, shrouded in helmets, they see thought a lens of black. The only way out is through the back door, into darkness.
    Rey, means king, starts her TWIN engine SOLO speeder, heading left under light blue skies with a pair of dark Glasses to shied her from the over baring light if need be. Her name sounds similar to “ray’, like a ray of light.
    Poe Dameron
    Poe’s law: things are difficult to discern, like the difference between genuine and the symbolic.
    Dameron: an OLD RED wine.
    We see an X-wing pilot. Is he in RED squadron? His cockpit looks narrow; his helmet does not seem to fit and he is decorated with rebel SYMBOLS aplenty. Cloudy skies over the mountains, three five pointed ships (or stars) head RIGHT, gliding over the water. Maybe Poe’s views are in contrast to what his uniform represents.
    Kylo Ren
    Acronym: “Keep your love on” Ren: Interconnected poems, two types of followers including orchids. Orchids have small seeds, but when fully blossomed they glow.
    Black sky, back turned, a Ren heads further into the DENSE dark woods. There is an old saying, “Cannot tell the woods for the trees”. Kylo Ren stops, perhaps at the sight of the thin little tree amongst the wood, and ignites his CROSS-guarded light saber.
    Recall the “twin sun” engines on the speeder, two separate circles are not the same thing as a figure eight, they would need to come together to become the symbol of balanced. I am alluding that Rey & Ren are twins, one grew, and one did not. One feels he was screwed by his family tree perhaps.
    Everybody is headed somewhere, balance is in the middle.
    The Falcon, she is headed for a LOOP.
    STAR WARS EPISODE 8, coming to you soon by the director of LOOPER.

DantooineOrBust and Lando Swarm like this.
  2. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I do wonder if the "balance of the Force" is going to be a running theme in the ST. The PT represents the "dark" (a tragic fall to the dark side) and the OT represents the "light" (a story of heroes triumphing and redemption). The ST could represent the gray areas in between, when true balance is achieved. We already have a few examples: a Stormtrooper (traditionally "bad") that ends up a good guy, an X-Wing pilot that ends up a bad guy (possibly), BB-8's balancing mechanics and shape as you mention, even Rey's speeder looks like it's balancing, like a motorcycle. I wouldn't be surprised if the theme of balance manifests in the visuals of this movie.

Death Wizard likes this.
  3. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    Take a couple less hits off the bong next time. ;)

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lol.

5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I sometimes wonder why some people bother getting up in the morning.

Jcuk likes this.
  6. KitsterAKABobaFett

May 31, 2007
    ...or we could just make fun instead of adding anything to a potentially interesting analysis, since filmmakers never put any thought or effort into symbolism anyways...

7. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    Kylo Ren backwards is Ner Olyk. Nero-like. He will stand by as some cataclysmic event destroys the galaxy. Symbolism man.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ I like Ren's name backwards better. The light and the dark sides of the Force definitely sound like e a theme of this trilogy. Some interesting ideas OP.

My only issue is bringing up Looper (which I hope Rian moves past. Do not understand the love for that movie.) :D

Death Wizard likes this.
  9. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Great topic. At this level of storytelling, I have no doubt that Lucas, Arndt, JJ et al have loaded this story with symbolism. Though we still have such scant information about the film that it's hard to say exactly what the symbolism will be. But here are my best guesses right now:

-As you say, I think Rey's name -- the regal implication of it -- is significant. If she is descended from the OT3 (as I believe she is) that makes her a kind of royalty in the GFFA.

-I also think Rey's occupation as a junker/salvager is extremely symbolic. She takes things that are worn out and broken down and she makes them work again. IMO, that's exactly what Rey will be doing in regard to the GFFA itself. When the story opens, the galaxy is not in a good state -- the world has fallen into a kind of complacent torpor. Luke is missing and some big bad evil is on the rise...Han and Leia for whatever reason (the are distracted by their personal problems, estranged from each other and/or Luke) are not able to take care of the problems themselves. So Rey is going to "salvage" the galaxy itself.

-Regardless of whether or not they are related, I think there is a great yin-yang symbolism in the names Rey and Ren.

-The "awakening" line (and the title itself)...the Force, the Jedi Order, and in a larger sense the OT3 and even the galaxy itself has been sleeping. Again, Luke has been hiding away and Han and Leia have both fallen asleep at the wheel, as it were. In this story, everybody and everything "wakes up" and gets going in the right direction again.

-The fight in the snowy forest -- conflicting symbolism. Icy death on top of vibrant growth. Not sure what this means but I think it is significant.

-Also, it wasn't my idea, but I love the notion that the desert planet is indeed Tatooine, but with one of its suns missing. To symbolize that one of the Skywalker twins is missing.

-Finally, it may mean nothing but so far I have not seen Luke on any of the posters for Celebration 2015. I think this is foreshadowing/symbolism that Luke will be missing in TFA when the story begins.

10. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    This thread reminds me of my film study classes all those years ago lol

11. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Me too, but in a good way. I love this stuff.

I thought of one more: Rey living in the fallen AT-AT. On a basic level, it's symbolic of the fallen Empire (and if she's a legacy character, her family's importance in bringing the Empire down). But it also hearkens back a little bit to the time when Luke spent the night living inside a fallen Tauntaun. Since I believe Rey is the new Luke, I think this connection is intentional.

12. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Me too. Right when you think you understand something, it feels like someone shakes your mind's thoughts like a snowglobe then they rearrange in a undiscernable pattern...

Lando Swarm and Death Wizard like this.
  13. KitsterAKABobaFett

May 31, 2007

I like that idea of Rey "salvaging the galaxy." And speaking of names, "Ren" is apparently "the Confucian virtue denoting the good feeling a virtuous human experiences when being altruistic." More from Wikipedia... "Rén relies heavily on the relationships between two people, but at the same time encompasses much more than that. It represents an inner development towards an altruistic goal, while simultaneously realizing that one is never alone, and that everyone has these relationships to fall back on, being a member of a family, the state, and the world."

Perhaps a foreshadowing of Kylo Ren's character arc? A story of redemption maybe?

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I enjoy this kind of stuff, but up to a certain point. I think the Looper reference because of the Falcon flying in a loop and E8 being directed by Looper's director is... a stretch. :p

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  15. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Han backwards is Nah. Sort of sums up his attitude, no? Deep... [face_hypnotized]

16. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    I over stretched it for sure, the laugh won out.

EHT likes this.
  17. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    R2D2 backwards 2R2D...Too raw too dope? Too real to die? Too risky to date?

Death Wizard likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But it's not 2R2D, it's 2D2R. Too determined to relinquish. Or something.

19. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Sometimes seemingly insignificant details end up being major themes. OP has clearly dissected the trailer, and watched it many times, and come up with some pretty imaginative stuff. I find some of what he's saying to be a bit hard to follow, but I like his passion.

Death Wizard likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sand getting everywhere is already a theme. Sand is everywhere. Every single scene will take place on that sand planet. I have no idea what the other locations they randomly showed us are supposed to be...

21. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012

Thank you. I realize the OP is very much a scrambled message, but try to follow this:
    Qui: definition: he who transplanted (it) sustains (it) (latin)
    Gon: definition,combining form, seed or semen.
    JINN: definition, in Arabian and Muslim mythology, an intelligent spirit of lower rank than the angels, able to appear in human and animal forms and to possess humans.
    Therefore: Qui-Gon Jinn= he who first became a ghost.
    Obi : Obeah, is a term used in the west indies to refer to magic and , sorcery.
    Wan: Definition, of a person's complexion or appearance, pale and giving the impression of illness or exhaustion.
    Kenobi: In Christian theology, kenosis (is the 'self-emptying' of one's own will and becoming entirely receptive to God's divine will.
    Therefore, Obi-Wan Kenobi = old wizard who becomes one with the force.
    Is this not sound logic?

22. snackynak

snackynak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 19, 2006
    I think the extent of symbolism that JJ put into the trailers is, here's some new characters and there's the millennium falcon.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  23. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    Wood for the trees.

24. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Death Wizard you have some great ideas, and I think you're doing a good job at breaking down a lot of minute details. Keep it up.

Who knows, some of what you're sayin' might end up being right.

I only meant it was hard to follow because I'm from the south and ya know... do I need to say more than that? LOL

25. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't claim to have the correct interpretation, I may be misreading the "hints", but the symbols are there If you care to look, art is representational and we are talking J.J Abrams here.

"The fight in the snowy forest -- conflicting symbolism. Icy death on top of vibrant growth. Not sure what this means but I think it is significant". - wonderful observation Leias_Left_Bun.

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.