main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Symbolism in TFA, trailer anlysis

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Death Wizard, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Just to make one of my "observations" clearer:

I speculate that the namesake of "finn" is representational of a fin. Fins typically function as foils that produce lift or thrust, or provide the ability to steer or STABILIZE motion while traveling in water, air, or other fluid media.

My is claims that finn is the "one" who maintains the balance for the force, Think thermodynamics, with out conflicting forces, motion stops, leaving only apathy. The yin yang, as it relates to Star Wars, is symbolic of the dark-side and light needing to be balanced, Remember The mortis arc from the clone wars? I am impaling that Ren & Rey (male and female name ending respectively) are twins, symbolically represented by the two dots in the yin yan, you know black and white ones? Just as there mother and uncle where symbolically represented by the suns over the desert planet. Finn looks like a Ying Yan, I will leave it at that.

If my original off the cuff post just reads like Jabba Fodder, please just ask me for more elaboration.

2. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    This thread's also a good place to mention the Edgar Allen Poe/J. Lasley Dameron connection, Dameron having written essays about Poe's work. I wonder if whoever came up with the name had one of Dameron's writings in front of him at the time. Is Edgar Allen Poe a clue into Poe Dameron's personality or character arc? Does he have a macabre sense of humor? Will his fate resemble that of a Poe character? Does he fly the raven-like black X-Wing?

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

This is indeed very interesting and could be a little hint for a maybe twisted character.

4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Oh boy, can I remind everyone that it's a Sci-Fi adventure movie aimed at the lowest common denominator?

5. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    The "lowest common denominator" is welcome to view the movie as superficially as they like. As for the Sci-Fi part of it, most, if not all Science fiction is allegory. I have plenty more up my sleeve, You "crazy" old Jedi.

6. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Let's not be entirely dismissive. He put effort into tiny details like the sound of the probe droid and the sound of Anakin's lightsaber at the very end. He went through the effort of choosing Topps card numbers for the name reveal that actually mean something. And we all know from his work on Lost that he likes little hidden messages and clues.

So I think it's entirely possible that there was more to the trailer than meets the eye. What that more is remains up for debate.

7. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    ^This.

8. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

You can play out your joke for as long as you like, I just feel sorry for those who are taking you seriously.

9. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    Edit - Stop flaming.

KitsterAKABobaFett likes this.
  10. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    Then again, for the sake balance, I may need you old man.

11. DantooineOrBust

DantooineOrBust Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    I wish this movie would hurry up and come out!

Death Wizard likes this.
  12. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Anybody who believes this movie is nothing more than sci-fi "pulp" is entitled to his or her opinion. But we're entitled to our opinion, too. This is a discussion board. We're discussing.

This story was mainly crafted by Lucas, Arndt, JJ, and Kasdan (yes, I read the recent Lucas interview but I don't believe for a moment that all of his and Arndt's ideas were discarded). Good storytellers love symbolism and use it to enrich the story, and these are all master storytellers at or near the peak of their craft. You bet your sweet bippy I think there's a lot of symbolism being used in Episode VII.

13. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    Do you guys even english teacher?

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can words good no more.

Death Wizard likes this.
  15. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    My film study teacher always used to say the Star War's genera was western not sci-fi (Her words not mine)..........:p Maybe I should maybe give the trailer, the good old mise-en-scene treatment a whirl myself but I CBA. Maybe I will do one especially for you Crazy, am sure you will enjoy it ;)

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Reported for foul and abusive language.

17. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I would be honoured :D .

18. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
  19. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Just FYI, you can go back and edit your post if you realize that you just misspelled a word or want to change the words around a bit. I do it all the time. There is a time limit, I think after 15 minutes or so you're not allowed to edit anymore. But I see only about three minutes' time between your two posts here.

Looking forward to your mise-en-scene analysis.

20. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014

Sorry, I could not work it out. Looks like am going to have to do it now aren't I? [face_laugh] It will take me a while though.........

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  21. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Speaking of mise-en-scene analyses, thought I'd share some of my notes on the teaser...

-Opens on a vast sea of dunes (a desolate, lifeless place), Tatooine (probably) - playing on classic Star Wars nostalgia.
    -”There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?” - The Force awakening. Also on a meta level, a re-awakening of classic Star Wars?
    -Finn pops into frame (Life springs forth! An awakening!). A new spin on the shot from ANH where a bad guy Stormtrooper (hunting the good guy droids) pops into frame. Here, we have a good guy Stormtrooper who is being hunted by what sounds like an Imperial probe droid (again, playing on nostalgia. Also, mixing of OT references: Tatooine from ANH and ROTJ, probe droid from ESB).
    -Finn’s dark skin color contrasts the white Stormtrooper armor, which represents evil in Star Wars. Black is good, white is evil. Conventional iconography is being played with. Maybe not everything is so clear cut as good vs. evil (or, ironically, "black and white") in the ST.
    -BB-8 rolls, its head balancing on a ball. He/she seems to be in a hurry (like everyone in the trailer. There is a sense of urgency all around).
    -Stormtroopers are filmed to seem imposing/threatening. Turbulent camera movement. One trooper is shorter than the rest, singled out, in over their head? A gun is readied. The ramp lowers. These troopers are about to carry out a terrible act.
    -Rey’s goggles are made of Stormtrooper lenses. (“I can’t see a thing in this helmet.” = her vision is limited? She is blinded in some way? Like Luke in ANH, she needs to step into a larger world.)
    -Rey wears beige, much like Anakin or Luke on Tatooine. A symbol of purity, naivety.
    -Her speeder looks like a cross between Luke’s landspeeder (its shape, as if turned on its side), and Anakin’s speeder bike (the way it’s ridden, like a motorcycle). Like a motorcycle, it stands upright in a way that would require balance. She races toward a settlement, which is particularly desolate compared to the ones we’ve seen on Tatooine before. So far, this planet seems even more remote than ever.
    -Poe Dameron flying an X-Wing. His helmet is black (does he have a dark, macabre personality perhaps?). His flight suit looks red rather than orange as in the OT. Are the Rebels a little more conflicted in the ST, not entirely good?
    -X-Wings flying over water in a mountainous region (the same as the snow planet?). They’re skimming low, in attack positions, surely flying toward an enemy. We haven’t seen X-Wing action inside of a planet’s atmosphere before. A new type of action sequence for Star Wars.
    -Kylo Ren marches through a snowy forest. The snowy forest represents conflict (snow + trees. Harsh lifelessness + growth. A contrast of dark and light.) In Star Wars, cold = evil, Hell, yet there is life beneath it. Kylo Ren is not all bad?
    -Cross-saber = reminiscent of a medieval knight, like something out of a fantasy. Ren’s tattered hooded tunic also looks like a fantasy character’s. Pushing the high fantasy influence of the original Star Wars. The saber seems wild, unstable (presumably like Ren, whose body language is very primal). Is it an ancient saber? Poorly made due to a lack of proper training?
    -”The dark side… and the light.” BOTH sides of the Force have awoken. Balance!
    -Again, more spaceship action inside of a planet’s atmosphere. We’re almost certainly going to get some space action in this movie, but it’s interesting that we have two examples of non-space action sequences. Again, classic imagery being experimented with.
    -The Millenium Falcon seems to defy physics. We are as disoriented as its passengers probably are. As it flies close to the ground, re-orienting itself, the camera re-orients with it, righting itself. The world is upside down, but then things are righted. Is this what’s happening with Star Wars? Getting “back on course” after the PT?

-Anakin/Luke’s blue lightsaber sound at the end. Does it make its return? If so, then it must be the Hero’s call to action, as it is for Luke.

22. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    Okay here is my go, took me ages to do and its still not finished because I have not included camera angles, inferior and superior power share. Well, whys that? Because I could not be bothered and I don’t know where my old books are.Going scene by scene of course. Its ages since I have done this so it maybe very poor [face_laugh]

Sand Dunes
    signifies the desires to be sheltered from the bitterness of reality.

‘Awakening’
    Experiencing new awareness that is unfolding in your life.

Storm trooper = Black and White = Balance

‘Finn’
    The name Finn is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Finn is: Finder.
    People with this name have a deep inner desire to serve humanity and to give to others by sharing money, knowledge and experience, or creative and artistic ability. People with this name are excellent at analyzing, understanding, and learning. They tend to be mystics, philosophers, scholars, and teachers. Because they live so much in the mind, they tend to be quiet and introspective, and are usually introverts. When presented with issues, they will see the larger picture. Their solitary thoughtfulness and analysis of people and world events may make them seem aloof, and sometimes even melancholy.

BB8
    The number 8 in the Bible represents a new beginning, meaning a new order or creation, and man's true 'born again' event when he is resurrected from the dead into eternal life.
    Storm trooper again, hanger shaking an Unbalancing?

Loading Gun
    represents aggression, anger, and potential danger. dealing with issues of passiveness/aggressiveness. Symbol of power and pride.

Opening door
    Femminine symbol Gives access to the awakening. Moving toward greater enlightenment/spirituality, inspiring change from one level of consciousness to another. Essentially transition from darkness into light

Sky
    Clear blue sky denotes hope, possibilities, creativity, peace and freedom. Also signify the heavens, kingdom of Christ. Also indicates happiness and serenity.

Image of ‘Rey’
    Meaning King or kingship, also means regal. People with this name have a deep inner desire for travel and adventure, and want to set their own pace in life without being governed by tradition.

King
    Represents victory and consummation. Possessor of magic and supernatural powers. Symbolism of morality and represents, gold, Jupiter and the sun. Alternatively, the king symbolizes a father or some father figure missing in life.

Image of ‘Poe’
    The name Poe in Anglo Saxon derives from the words vain and strutting. Poe is also signified by the emblem of a peacock. A symbol of blending together. In Greco-Roman mythology the Peacock is identified with Hera (Juno) who created the Peacock from Argus whose hundred eyes (seen on the tail feathers of the Peacock) which symbolize the vault of heaven and the "eyes" of the stars. “By the Peacock” was a sacred oath, because the peacock was thought to have the power of resurrection, like the Phoenix.

‘Dameron’
    Meaning red wine. Wine is the symbol of companionship, satisfaction and success. Added variant of red symbolises blood and sacrifice. Greek and Persians anointed the name as divine toxication, the fleeting moment of promoting gods attributes
    Image of disturbed waters and waves
    Violent or disruptive waves indicate a fatal error of an important decision. Waves tend to be used for juxtaposition due to contradiction. Unclear balance, rhythmic undulations, sporadic harmony. Also the denotation of the ‘flying dragon’.

Flying
    Notion of superiority and arrogance of one’s ability. Also the indication of a rise and fall and also the transcendence of growth in many different areas of life. Fluctuation of moral character, lack of stableness.
    Hooded figure,
    Implies that you are hiding from something or someone. You are trying to cover-up your true feelings about some matter.

Forest
    Entering the forest indicates myths and legends. Also a symbol of vegetation – uncontrolled rule growth and cultivation. Primary symbol of femmine principles of Mother Nature. Foliage obscures sunlight however in druid mythology forest and sun are married. Meaning in the male principle of mind connects with his deep unconsciousness often leading to perilous journeys.

Ice
    Lacking a flow of ideas and thoughts. Ice symbolizes insecurities and self-esteem issues. Also indicates a death of a soul and transition between different cycles. Ice is also emblem of a dividing line between the conscious and the unconsciousness, solid and liquid states. Frequent atmospheric unbalance, lack of true direction or clouded mind-set.

Sword
    The sword represents strength, ambition, competitive nature decisiveness and willpower. Seen as an inclination of position of prestige, authority, and distinction. The sword may be seen as a phallic symbol and thus represent masculine power. Sword composed of blade and guard represent conjunction. Also a symbol of sacrifice and also death and fertility – birth of darkness. Also an indication of the malevolent death.

Image of ‘Ren’
    Two meanings in English and Welsh. The Welsh meaning: In Welsh the meaning of the name Ren is: Ruler. The name Ren is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Ren is: Raven (gulp!)
    They tend to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient.

Again figure of eight loop
    A structure, series, or process, the end of which is connected to the beginning. Represents the mode of binding. Egyptian hieroglyphs suggest the loop to dominate or possess. Hindus use the loop as the path to the centre. Also signifying the star sign Libra and the creator of order and society.

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It seems to have moved on, but just a general reminder to play nice. You don't have to agree with each other, but attacking each other is not allowed. Debate the post, not the poster.

turnip white - Leia's Left Bun was correct, you have time to edit a post for typos or to add things to your post. The edit button will be in the bottom left corner of your post near where your name is and what time you posted. If the edit time is up, it will not be there. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

24. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    Well done. I like it.

25. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    Sorry.....

lesson learned

mavjade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.