main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Symbols - L/M AU Romance - Author's Note 12/19/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Mar 16, 2010.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Aha that pesky teensy detail about consummating LOL Yay! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Ready for the world rocking to come [face_dancing]

Squee!

2. lost_lauries_grapes

lost_lauries_grapes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2006
    "Stuff it, Beddine," Mara threw him a glare, "it's my Star Destroyer, it was commissioned for personal use just like his X-Wing, and I pay the crew's own salaries. If I say he can park his ship there then it's my call. You can give him a special transponder code or something if you're going to be so damn paranoid."

You tell him, Mara!

And the Hapan Rule![face_laugh]

And I don't mean to nitpick, but editing is what I do best:

"Yes," the man made a few notes, "very wise, though I think we should keep the amount even. Three council members will be present, myself included, and I will select five appropriate Moff's. And have even numbers of Imperials and Republicans."

Here, there shouldn't be an apostrophe on Moffs. There are multiple Moffs, which warrants the 's', but they're not in possession of something, so no apostrophe.

"I think," Padme added quickly, "that the Hapen Rule be in effect."

And here, it's actually Hapan, with an 'a' not an 'e', and the sentence sounds funny. If you take out "Padme added quickly" then it reads "I think that the Hapan Rule be in effect." Missing a word?

Just thought I'd point it out.

Peace,
    Bea

3. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    She narrowed his eyes at him, but she sighed, "Fine, but nothing foofy, or big, just nice clean lines."

"I will let Jesak know," his mother smiled, "though I am sure you will remind her during your fitting."

"And no big hats," Mara added.

Poor Mara, I do understand her)))

I'm really glad they'll stay together after the wedding without things like: We'll meet once in three months; sometimes we'll live together, sometimes separately and so on. Altough it sounds rather reasonable and logic for political marriages, I always hated it.))

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're writing again! :D Please put me on the PM list. I'm loving the L/M, girl!

Bravo! =D= =D= =D=

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    You know, one of these days I'm gonna write a Mara 'warm and cuddly' AU fic just for the heck of it... LOL!

Looking forward to that, but first... this post!!!

"I hardly feel that is fair to Lady Jade," Beddine frowned disapprovingly.

"Now you care about what's fair," Jade snorted in response, which did cause Luke to jump slightly as he thought she was paying even less attention to the planning session than he was.

Oh, making them sit thru all the planning? Cruel and unusual punishment. (And her grumbling at Beddine? Funny!)

Love the little detail of which star destroyer is hers, as well as who is doing the honor of giving her away.

"Yes, the Jedi robe can be classed as a military uniform since they do answer to the Alliance, but also, we are not bound to them as a military body. It is more of a symbol of our order, of our beliefs, but regardless, I withdraw my request for the sake of simplicity."

Luke... taking after his mom for the sake of compromise.

"It comes from the Hapen Consortium," his mother informed them. "Basically, a married couple can have any outside relationships that they wish, as long as said relationships are kept private and do not cause embarrassment to the family."

Somehow, I get the feeling that this isn't going to be a problem... much...

Good post. :)

6. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    I agree, perfectly shocking--a civil first meeting!!!!! [face_gasp] I like how you showed the conflict in each of them, but how it was overruled by their desire for peace. Very very in-character, but also tugged at the heartstrings :)

Anways, that was lovely lovely, wonderful!!! Thank you for the PM, please continue and excellent job! I'm waiting on pins and needles for the next bit!

7. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Goddess_At_Heart - Mara, per always, is gonna have issues, thankfully she's got Luke now to get over it. ;) :D

tahiriveilax - Oh yeah, and a lot of ups and downs and possible dismemberment... erm... did I say that outloud? ;)

divinerose - I made it up for the story... but it kinda sounded like it would be real. I welcome anyone to steal it. :D [face_batting]

PonyTricks - I was very tempted to have her sharping her vibroblade the whole time... LOL :p :D [face_laugh]

FelsGoddess - hehehehehe... indeed they did! :D ;) :p

Jade_eyes - Yes, just a little pesky detail... ;) I'm sure that will come up again... ;) [face_whistling]

lost_lauries_grapes - I'm not the best grammer person, I admit, but I do what I can. :) As for the statement, maybe because I spent so much time in England but it sounds right to me, just how some people talk. May not be exactly grammerically correct, but then dialouge has it's own rules. :D

Piper057 - Reasonable and logical never worked out well for Luke and Mara... LOL :D :p

Jade_Pilot - Yep! I found my muse!! :D She's totally cool! And not dead. :D Great to see you again! [:D]

DaenaBenjen42 - You really want me to write it? Cause I can't resist a dare... [face_devil] o_O [face_thinking] [face_shame_on_you] [face_not_talking] 8-}

Irish_Jedi_Jade - Civil first meeting, well, what can I say, I live dangerously. ;) Let's see how they are doing in a couple of months... [face_devil]

8. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 5 - All Dressed Up...

The announcement came to the galaxy that peace was finally reached between the two governments and that it was serious. Both sides had offered up an important symbol to give to the other.

Luke Skywalker, Jedi, son of Anakin and Padme Skywalker, future of the reformed Jedi Order.

Mara Jade, Imperial Royalty, last living relative of Palpatine, future of the Empire.

Of course it was an arranged marriage, no one expected anything from them more than that, and their initial news conference to field questions about the situation showed the two to be civil to each other. Mara acted her normal detached but passionate about the Empire self, and Luke was stoic, though passionate about the Jedi and Republic. Both could agree that peace between the two governments, an end to the fighting, was worth any 'sacrifice' that may be made by themselves, and that all citizens were encouraged to support this peace in any way they could.

The plan worked as well as the governments had hoped with everyone focusing on the fact that if Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade could get along, what with Mara's aggression and Luke's passivism, then perhaps they could too.

Although, the would-be couple rarely saw each other outside their initial meeting, the press conferences, and the organizing sessions. There was still a debate within the circles if these two would be able to get along with each other once it came to co-existing. The New Republic wondered if Mara would kill Luke because he annoyed her too much by being a Jedi... and strangely enough the Empire was thinking the same thing.

Regardless, the two young people knew what was expected of them and that was all that mattered.

On the day of the wedding, about every journalism media and corporation for both sides were present, and dignitaries filtered in from around the galaxy. The treaty had already been signed and policies put into effect, but the ceremonial signing would be first in the morning, followed by the marriage.

Padme declined being at the signing as she had the wedding to take care of. She knew that Luke would be okay, Anakin was there with him, along with his friends, so she instead walked across the complex to where Mara would be getting ready. They did not have many fittings of the wedding dress and she wanted to make sure that there would be no last minute problems.

There were, of course, a few guard check points to get through, but she eventually made it to Mara's dressing chamber. She knocked softly and the door slid open.

"Yes?" came the young woman's voice in the quiet.

It was entirely too quiet, actually. As she entered, her eyes glanced around to see no one else around, no bridesmaids or assistants, nothing. Jade herself was standing in front of a mirror, fiddling with her gloves, already dressed in the creamy white gown that had been made to specification.

Clean lines, nothing foofy, Empire waist with a burgundy sash, though it plunged in front a bit more than Mara apparently felt comfortable with according to Jesak. So the dress maker had a special soft shimmer lace brought in to cover her bare neck and shoulders and spill down her arms and waist.

The effect was actually quite beautiful as the hair dresser mimicked the design by having the young woman?s locks curled and also spilled over her shoulders with bits of shimmer woven in. Apparently no extensions where needed, who knew she had so much hair hidden in her usual braid?

"These gloves are too short," Mara mumbled, tugging at them on her fingers.

Padme smiled as she approached, "They are supposed to be that length, they are dress gloves."

"They are impractical," she frowned, starring at them, but then shook her head, "Can I help you?"

"I came to ask the same," the older woman smiled, "I wanted to make sure the dress fitted okay and that you had everything. You look lovely."

"Thanks," Mara replied with about as much sincerity as she supposed the woman could muster, seeing as

9. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    I remember how touched I was when I first read this chapter.

Always a loner... and such a fighter.

Incredible woman.@};-

10. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    Aw, Mara has no friends! I'm sure Luke will be a great one if she gives him the chance. ;)

11. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Poor Mara :(

Great update! =D=

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    We covered this, but... YES!!!!! ;)

There was a little ping of something in Luke's stomach as he watched his parents. He had never been in a serious relationship with anyone, the Force always coming first. So he firmly believed that he would end up a bachelor to the end of his days, something that in and of itself didn't bother him... but the fact that if he were to come across a woman who made him feel as his father felt about his mother... it could never be... at least... not officially, it would have to be a hidden relationship, much like his parent's had been in the beginning...

This was telling. He wants what he sees, suddenly... and doesn't know he's already got it.

And Mara... she totally needs someone to hug her, and really talk to her, and be a friend. And get her away from the brandy...

Good update. :)

13. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Love it!!! :D Just like Padme to try to befriend our girl, Mara. Nice characterization there. And I really like the calm, Jedi Luke you've portrayed. Just how long will he stay calm around Mara though?

Bravo! =D=

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woo! Mara's dress and hairstyle -- woo! Gorgeous! Hmmm. The old republic / new republic senate sounds like the US congress :p [face_laugh]

So glad Gilad's there to lend support but it's not the same as having a mom or sister or very close friend give the moral support :(

[face_thinking]

15. Goddess_At_Heart

Goddess_At_Heart Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2010
    Mara doesn't have any friends? Awww.

But I'm sure by the end Luke will be a very good friend ;)

Fun little sabacc game with the boys, as usual I'm sure Han Solo is winning. :p

Great update! Can't wait for more!

16. Jingocat

Jingocat Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2010
    Can't wait for more =)

Wonder what happens at the ceremony ;)

Jingocat

17. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    What a sobering update. Very nicely done I will add though.

Mara is a lone wolf, and though she presents that she likes it that way, we all know it's hard. Even Padme knows it :)

Great update :)

18. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    You had me feeling sorry for Mara! Not an easy feat, either. :p That girl needs some friends. It's too bad she's going back to the Imperial regions, or she could make friends with Leia. But, then again, being lonely might make her more receptive to becoming 'friends' with her husband. [face_whistling]

19. lost_lauries_grapes

lost_lauries_grapes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2006
    Poor Mara has mommy/daddy problems. Another perfect Palpatine plan is a success. Ah, she's probably got grand-daddy issues, too.

I'm hoping this wedding goes down without somebody getting shot!

Great job.

Peace,
    Bea

20. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Better late than never... I remember reading this, but I kinda stopped reading anything for a while. Anyways, I'm all caught up and ready for more. I enjoy AU stories.

21. Wifflesnip

Wifflesnip Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2008
    Woohoo, two updates waiting for me, I was doing the happy dance when I finally got extended access to the internet. Oh, Mara and Luke, sigh, hope you are prepared for all the hi-jinks that are about to mess up your well ordered lives...though I daresay it will all work out in the end ;).

I'm loving the Padme/Mara interactions, I always thought those two would have some lovely interactions, with Padme being the same warm accepting person that Luke is and Mara secretly lonely and without family, but in pro-fic it was not meant to be. All, well that's why we have the AU writers around :)

Interesting take on Anakin/Luke's relationship, with Luke conforming to whatever the will of the Force happens to be and Anakin rebelling. I think it is a spot-on analysis of their true characters, I think that had Anakin survived Death Star II he would have still displayed that rebellious streak he had as a Jedi Knight, no matter how repentant he was about his Sith career. And as for Luke, well, rebellion is more Leia's style not Luke's ;)

Thanks for the PM and looking forward to the next chapter :D

As for my name, it came from a great fan fiction writer who has now left the shores of the community she once served and has now returned to the land she whence came...real life, where we all must return from time to time ;), so I'm afraid I cannot claim credit. As for the meaning...there was an owl involved and that is all I'm at liberty to say o_O.

22. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Ooooh, this looks good!

23. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Piper057 - A loner and a fighter... but maybe Luke can help her with that... ;) :D

divinerose - What kind of friend are we talking about here? ;) :p :D

FelsGoddess - Yeah, but she'll be okay. ;)

DaenaBenjen42 - And typical Skywalker, not knowing what they want till they can't have it. LOL :p :D ;) and yes, she needs a big hug... and she might get one... ;) [face_whistling]

Jade_Pilot - yeah, Luke is goign to have to learn real Jedi calm with Mara around, but will it be because of her temper, or cause other reasons... [face_whistling]

Jade_eyes - Gorgeous indeed, and you won't be the only to notice. ;) And yeah, Gilad is going to be like a father figure to her. :D

Goddess_At_Heart - Why does everyone assume they'll hook up? Oh... yeah... right... forgot... ;) :p And Han always wins!

Jingocat - it's going to be an interesting ceremony... ;)

tahiriveilax - Lone wolf is a very good descript of our Mara... :( you know she only wants to be loved. :D

PonyTricks - Awww... you know you love her! ;) :D and yes, she's going become real good friends with Luke... or kill him... [face_whistling]

lost_lauries_grapes - Yeah, Mara does have issues, and we'll see them cause problems later. :( But hey, she's got Luke to help her! :D As for someone getting shot... [face_whistling]

RebelMom - I did get a few chapters up over at SWFF, but now I'm going to finish it up here. Hope the wait will be worth it! :D

Wifflesnip - Oh yes, those hi-jinks... :p ;) I'm not very good with Padme and Anakin, so thank you for your kind words. :D And an owl? HUH? 8-} :p

AvenKiel - Hey, AvenKiel! Great to see you again! :D [:D]

24. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 6 - ?and Nowhere to Go

In a way, Luke envied Mara because she didn't have to stand at the alter like he did, everyone starring at him, taking holo's, talking... it was enough to damage his calm, nerves starting to worm their way through him.

His mother and father sat down in the front row, his sister, aunt and grandmother as well. Despite the fact that the wedding was what it was, they were proud of him today, what he was willing to do for peace. He had wanted his Master to be there as well, but he didn't count as 'close family members' according to the Empire and they would only allow Anakin and Leia because they obviously were.

Mentally he sighed, he would be living in a very Anti-Jedi environment... he supposed it would be a test of him being able to live by the Jedi code.

The music played up and everyone quieted down, shifting to get a view of the entrance doors. Slowly they opened and the procession of bridesmaids came forward, all lovely, young and smiling women. His mother had told them that they were just for show, so they were probably the only people in the wedding party who actually wanted to be there... showing themselves off at the event of the decade.

After a minute, the women had taken their place next to where Mara would stand with him, and the music changed once more. Moments later, Jade and Captain Pallaeon were at the entrance, starting to make their way forward. The man was the only one in uniform of the whole group, the dark blue dress uniform of a mere Captain apparently benign enough for both sides to accept.

Luke had met the man briefly at the rehearsal, there was a short discussion about getting his X-Wing onto the Chimera. Wedge had flown it to Ithor for him so that they could then leave for Imperial space after the wedding. Of course, Artoo wasn't too happy about the situation, but it was getting him away from Threepio for a time.

He mentally shook his head and focused, he had a part to play for the galaxy.

Glancing over at his wife-to-be, Luke had to admit, she looked? stunning.
    The material was a subtle cream to match his darker cream and burgundy colored suit, and it blended perfectly with her light shade of red hair that shimmered and dazzled in the light. A beautiful lace may have covered the plunge of the dress but it did nothing to hide her feminine shape, one she kept hidden in combat fatigues and uniforms. Who knew that she was actually so very well formed?

Her hair framed her face which was done up in natural colors which accented the curve of her cheek bones and lips. There was slight shimmer above her eyes that made the green turn vivid and striking.

The whole effect was of course ruined by the smile. A smile that was about as sincere as the one he presented to the crowd of onlookers.

Mara took her place next to his, nodding to Gilad who bowed and stepped away to his position in the front row of the brides side. Luke had noticed earlier that while his front row was full of family members, half of the Imperial Ruling Council was in Mara's lead row.

Luke took Mara's hand as the Ithorian holy man chosen to officiate the ceremony stepped up and began his speech, one carefully crafted out by his mother and Beddine. It emphasized cooperation, commitment, compromising, loyalty... and downplayed love and happiness.

It then came for them to speak their lines...

"I, Luke Skywalker, hereby pledge my life to Mara Jade," he had to slow himself to keep from rambling through, "and I will stand by her side for the futures to come, to offer my strength and comfort through the difficult times, and my support and companionship when our souls are at peace."

Her eyes only widened by a fraction at his change in the dialogue, but she nodded slightly and waited her turn as the Ithorian ignored the obvious.

"I, Mara Jade, hereby pledge my life to Luke Skywalker," her smile may have actually gained some realism to it as she perpetuated his rebellion, "and I will stand by his side, wha

25. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    Aw, Luke's a Knight now! That's awesome. And Luke and Mara share the same sense of humor? I think they're going to be fine. :)